ATI Eyefinity using Surroundview?

So my ATI Radeon HD 5770 can do 3 monitors, but only if one of them has a displayport, because the 5770 actually only has 2 internal clocks. I don't have a DP monitor.

However, I discovered that my mobo has something called Surroundview, which allows up to 4 monitors with a PCIe card. It also helped that my mobo's internal card was an ATI Radeon HD 3200, so no additional drivers were needed, and CCC could control them all.

I set up all 3 monitors; my center monitor in HDMI, one in DVI, and one in the VGA port of my mobo. I configured them in CCC, and I had 3 monitors up and working! As a performance test, I ran 3 separate instances of VLC playing 3 different movies on each monitor, and it worked great!

Unfortunately, the Windows Desktop was the only environment that it worked great at all. ATI Eyefinity couldn't group all 3 monitors, just the two that were in the 5770 card, so that was a no-go. MS Flight Sim just flickered on and off on my 3 monitors. There was one game that I managed to get on all 3 displays, and that was Dirt 3. I only got it working because I ran it in windowed mode, then just stretched the edges of the windows out to all 3 displays. Dirt 3 seemed to detect this, and actually kept the aspect ratio appropriate somehow, so even though my start menu and the window borders were still visible, it was working properly, and at a reasonable framerate too. It didn't just stretch the game window across, it was like pulling a curtain away to reveal the 2nd and 3rd monitors.

So are there any solutions to get games to detect my Surroundview setup? Maybe a 3rd party piece of software? Any help would be hugely appreciated. If anyone manages to get this working, I will take a pic of my setup to show you.

I believe for Eyefinity surround to function all the displays you intend to use need to be connected to 1 or more graphics cards in your system. And I think it has to be Digital I do not believe they support it over VGA and I also do not think they support having one display on the chipset on the motherboard.

You can get a Display Port to DVI adapter though so maybe try that if your 3rd monitor has DVI.

I saw this topic a few days ago but I didn't reply because I didn't have a solution for you. I'm not really familiar with all the allowed and disallowed configurations of Eyefinity but I'm pretty sure what I said above is correct about the displays must be on the dedicated card for combining the three displays in to one (virtually to the operating system).