Apple Recalls Some Seagate 1TB Hard Drives Installed in iMacs

So, I just got an email from Apple stating that they are recalling Seagate 1TB hard drives installed in iMacs between May 2011 and July 2011 because there are a "small number" that can fail under "certain conditions."

Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that a very small number of 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail under certain conditions. These systems were sold between May 2011 and July 2011.

Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

Please choose one of the following options to get a replacement hard drive.

? Apple Retail Store - Set up an appointment with a Genius.

? Apple Authorized Service Provider - Find one here.

? Apple Technical Support - Contact us for local service options.

Apple recommends replacing your affected hard drive as soon as possible. Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

Additional Information

You will need to have the original Mac OS installation discs that were shipped with your iMac in order to reinstall your operating system, other applications, and any backed up data after your hard drive is replaced.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.

Apple will replace affected 1TB Seagate hard drives, free of charge, until July 23, 2012. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and provide extensions to this program as needed.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Apple Inc.

More info at MacRumors

Interesting, I haven't received an email yet so I'm going to have to talk to my local Apple Store about it - its a pain given that I'll need to take it into two (35km away) but oh well, hopefully it'll get all sorted out asap.

I'll just say what I did elsewhere. Sucks to have quality issues, but good they're taking responsibility and acknowledging the problem. This is also good for me since I'm considering an iMac lately for my photography work. I can now rest assured that I won't get an iMac shipped with an affected Seagate drive, if I decide to get one.

They should also clone the drive for free.:rolleyes:

They do here - then again they're a Mac dealer, not an Apple store as such so I guess they operate with slightly different "rules".

If you have a busted/bad sectored drive they'll just do it for you. Not an issue for me but a nice thing for their customers.

Sorry we sold you a computer with a defective drive. We'll give you another one but won't help you transfer your data, so you will lose everything and have to install everything again.

Sorry we sold you a computer with a defective drive. We'll give you another one but won't help you transfer your data, so you will lose everything and have to install everything again.

Which is exactly why I'm just not going to bother. I've got backups, so I'm just going to just keep using it for now. Once it dies, I think I'll switch to a Thunderbolt external for a boot drive and just keep using my externals for storage. Besides, I don't want to risk fingerprints, dust or scratches under the screen.

Speak of the devil, I just received an email today - off I go on Wednesday, hopefully it'll be a relatively painless procedure that can result in the computer being picked up in a few days, might even see if I can upgrade it to a 2TB if possible as to avoid the seagate blues in the future.