D programming language

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• Phone: Galaxy S3 (Wicked)

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:16

Is there a way to use D in Visual Studio?

Wiki4D is the place to find this info (check the links on the left), but what you're looking for is Visual D.

While I agree that C++ should of been like D, but I know D will never be useful. It was dead, before it even began.

There's a small number of people using D in the real world. As D matures, its usage will grow, but it's hard to say if it can ever succeed C++.

#17 htcz

htcz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:26

C# is the future. It overtook D in a matter of months.

**** that. It has actually taken over C++ . Wow.........thats a big step.

http://www.tiobe.com...tpci/index.html

#18 Soulsiphon

Soulsiphon

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:31

There's a small number of people using D in the real world. As D matures, its usage will grow, but it's hard to say if it can ever succeed C++.

I'd probably be a bit more optimistic about it's success if you'd said that there's 'a small number of large-corporations using D in the real world.'

It's just not apparent to me where it could wedge itself in amongst the current mainstay languages of real-world enterprise development.

#19 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:56

They don't have the same purpose; C# is meant for application development, D (and C++) is for systems programming.

That said, I want to agree that C# pretty much pwns everything at the moment. It has been used to develop operating systems (1, 2), so it's demonstrated its viability for systems programming even though that's not its original vocation. D looks very well-designed, seemingly better than C# (at least the way it handles generics and compile-time evaluation of functions), but it's not a CLI language and as such it's isolated from the rich ecosystem of libraries and languages built around .NET.

A lot of platforms today don't support .NET, and by platforms I mean every piece of electronic equipment we use including computer hardware (device drivers), routers, cars, airplanes, gps, etc. Then again, they often only support C (not even C++!), so there's little hope for D there as well.

So, for D, the only avenue I see is for new performance-critical components for PC applications, which would currently require C++. Whenever performance is not an absolute, a .NET language will be better simply because of the interoperability with .NET libraries and other CLI languages.

#20 KomaWeiß

KomaWeiß

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:57

How many years has it been out, and no one really did accept accept it yet?

#21 OP +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• Phone: Galaxy S3 (Wicked)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:39

How many years has it been out, and no one really did accept accept it yet?

Between 2006-2009 (4 years), there were 2000 bug fixes. Between 2010-2011 (2 years), there were nearly 3000. As well, less work is being done the language design and much more on the standard library. So things are picking up and D is finally maturing. There's lots of work yet to be done, and it may be years to come, but they'll get there eventually. I'm just afraid it could be too little, too late.

#22 KomaWeiß

KomaWeiß

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:44

Between 2006-2009 (4 years), there were 2000 bug fixes. Between 2010-2011 (2 years), there were nearly 3000. As well, less work is being done the language design and much more on the standard library. So things are picking up and D is finally maturing. There's lots of work yet to be done, and it may be years to come, but they'll get there eventually. I'm just afraid it could be too little, too late.

Yeah, I believe it is a little too late for D. It would be nice, if it had a market for it, but I rarely ever hear about the language to see a market.