OS X Lion and NTFS Read/Write Support?

In Snow Leopard all I had to do was create and modify a fstab file to get support for Read/Write with NTFS drives but the Snow Leopard method does not appear to work anymore.

Anyone know how to enable Read/Write support? I see NTFS-3G is not compatible so that option is out.

In Snow Leopard all I had to do was create and modify a fstab file to get support for Read/Write with NTFS drives but the Snow Leopard method does not appear to work anymore.

Anyone know how to enable Read/Write support? I see NTFS-3G is not compatible so that option is out.

Haven't tried it myself, but Paragon NTFS is apparently compatible with Lion

I was kind of hoping for a free option here. Tuxera and Paragon both seem like they are not so free. :( Did Apple remove the ability to Read/Write natively (yes it was semi-flakey in Snow Leopard but I was hoping Lion would have native support out of the box).

I was kind of hoping for a free option here. Tuxera and Paragon both seem like they are not so free. :( Did Apple remove the ability to Read/Write natively (yes it was semi-flakey in Snow Leopard but I was hoping Lion would have native support out of the box).

To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) : http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103929

As I mentioned in my first post it appears to not be compatible with Lion (its last update I believe was also last year).

From the forum :

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.

Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X

To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)

Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).

Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability. Time will tell if this instability is corrected in Lion.

AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS

Maximum file size: 16 TB

Maximum volume size: 256TB

I use this... and it works... on both Lion and Snow Leopard.

From the forum :

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.

Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X

To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)

Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).

Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability. Time will tell if this instability is corrected in Lion.

AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS

Maximum file size: 16 TB

Maximum volume size: 256TB

I use this... and it works... on both Lion and Snow Leopard.

I'll try it then. But if it starts throwing errors out the wazoo I will not be a happy Grinch. :(

For those handy with a terminal there is a way to support Native NTFS read and write. Unfortunatly I don't have the link to hand but I can assure you it works as Im doing it now :D

• 3 months later...

For those handy with a terminal there is a way to support Native NTFS read and write. Unfortunatly I don't have the link to hand but I can assure you it works as Im doing it now biggrin.gif

Care to elaborate?

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten but Snow Leopard did support NTFS natively with the aid of a few terminal commands. I'm scouring now and will see if I can find the link. It's something that I've used with no issues at all but no doubt there are a few gotcha's with using the built in method.

I haven't forgotten but Snow Leopard did support NTFS natively with the aid of a few terminal commands. I'm scouring now and will see if I can find the link. It's something that I've used with no issues at all but no doubt there are a few gotcha's with using the built in method.

1. Thread is old

2. Talking about Lion, not Snow Leopard.

I purchased an iMac (Snow Leopard) and had no NTFS support (write) at all. Upgraded to Lion, and of course no support either. Fresh install Lion, no support. I paid the $20.00 for Paragon NTFS for Mac. Best $20.00 I've spent in a long time. Well worth the cash.

• 1 year later...

I purchased an iMac (Snow Leopard) and had no NTFS support (write) at all. Upgraded to Lion, and of course no support either. Fresh install Lion, no support. I paid the $20.00 for Paragon NTFS for Mac. Best $20.00 I've spent in a long time. Well worth the cash.

The same for me, Paragon NTFS for Mac is realy worht buying, works perfect for 2 months already! :rolleyes:

1. Thread is old

2. Talking about Lion, not Snow Leopard.

Have we ALL forgotten Paragon NTFS?

Yes - it's commercial software; however, it's incredibly INEXPENSIVE commercial software.

While it was originally developed for OS X 10.4 (Tiger) it hasn't gone away, and has been updated continually, thus, it will work with even Mountain Lion, let alone Lion.

However, the typical reason for wanting write support for NTFS is (and I hate to say this) poor partition pre-planning, especially if you dual-boot OS X and Windows.