LibreOffice 3.4.2 Final

NveE3.png

LibreOffice is the free power-packed Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and Linux, that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. Support and documentation is free from our large, dedicated community of users, contributors and developers. You, too, can also get involved!

klzfc.png Link: Homepage

Ck093.gif Download: LibreOffice 3.4.2 for Windows

Ck093.gif Download: LibreOffice 3.4.2 for Mac OS

Ck093.gif Download: LibreOffice 3.4.2 for Linux

Are they still working on this for real? They are at least 8 years behind Microsoft in terms of interface, features, optimization, number of applications and number of bugs. Same goes for OpenOffice.

I never understood people that are so cheap they won?t even spend $300 on a solid Office suite. This and the OS are the base of everything.

At best they could merge the OpenOffice team with the LibreOffice team and work together on really deploying a good product and enter the competition with Microsoft.

Are they still working on this for real? They are at least 8 years behind Microsoft in terms of interface, features, optimization, number of applications and number of bugs. Same goes for OpenOffice.

I never understood people that are so cheap they won?t even spend $300 on a solid Office suite. This and the OS are the base of everything.

At best they could merge the OpenOffice team with the LibreOffice team and work together on really deploying a good product and enter the competition with Microsoft.

Troll much? Most people don't think MS Office is worth it, perhaps that's why I've never seen a copy of office outside of the workplace that was genuine :-P

First off this is a branch of OpenOffice (only it has been developed further)

Second it contains nearly every feature Microsoft Office does only it does it for free

Third, Who cares if it is not "exactly Microsoft office" Because it is a free alternative that is compatable and allows normal low income families to have a fully functional Office suite) as far as i am concerned they are doing a GREAT service to the world with thier work. Where as Microsoft creates a new version with a few new features every other year and charges Hundreds of dollars for it.

you clearly no nothing. Firstly oracle refuse to let openoffice and libreoffice merge so that won't happen. Secondly $300 is a huge amount of money, not everyone is rich and can afford 27" imacs and other ridiculously expensive things. Libreoffice is free and has the functionality that 95%+ of the people need.

That you ask if "they" are still working on "this" seriously shows your ignorance! What don't you understand about the fact that not everyone who uses a PC, comes from the US or wealthy first world countries!!

Only $300.00 equates to about R3000.00 in my currency. A **** load of people do not earn that sort of money monthly!! The other part that you also do not seem to get is that Open Office and LibreOffice office are NOT competing with Microsoft's' equivalent product!

Lastly OpenOffice is now "owned" by Oracle (It still is open source.) LibreOffice is an Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and Linux that is community-driven and developed software which is a project of the not-for-profit organization, The Document Foundation.

First off this is a branch of OpenOffice (only it has been developed further)

Second it contains nearly every feature Microsoft Office does only it does it for free

Third, Who cares if it is not "exactly Microsoft office" Because it is a free alternative that is compatable and allows normal low income families to have a fully functional Office suite) as far as i am concerned they are doing a GREAT service to the world with thier work. Where as Microsoft creates a new version with a few new features every other year and charges Hundreds of dollars for it.

It is very feature limited, or at the very least, the interface disallows straightforward access to these features.

Everything is hidden somewhere, while it is easily findable in MS Office.

Not true, MS Office improved drastically over the years.

My University switched form 2007 to 2010 and I have to say, if 2007 was God-tier, 2010 is Dao-Tier.

you clearly no nothing. Firstly oracle refuse to let openoffice and libreoffice merge so that won't happen. Secondly $300 is a huge amount of money, not everyone is rich and can afford 27" imacs and other ridiculously expensive things. Libreoffice is free and has the functionality that 95%+ of the people need.

Quick search on Google gave ~$100

That is the price of two video games these days.

Not anywhere near ridiculously expensive.

LibreOffice still has issues opening simple files.

Had many instances of "This should be one page, but FailOffice opens it as two" and so on.

It is a joke.

That you ask if "they" are still working on "this" seriously shows your ignorance! What don't you understand about the fact that not everyone who uses a PC, comes from the US or wealthy first world countries!!

Only $300.00 equates to about R3000.00 in my currency. A **** load of people do not earn that sort of money monthly!! The other part that you also do not seem to get is that Open Office and LibreOffice office are NOT competing with Microsoft's' equivalent product!

Lastly OpenOffice is now "owned" by Oracle (It still is open source.) LibreOffice is an Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and Linux that is community-driven and developed software which is a project of the not-for-profit organization, The Document Foundation.

Those that do not want to pay can simply pirate the product. Why bother with FailOffice LibreOffice?

It is very feature limited, or at the very least, the interface disallows straightforward access to these features.

Everything is hidden somewhere, while it is easily findable in MS Office.

Not true, MS Office improved drastically over the years.

My University switched form 2007 to 2010 and I have to say, if 2007 was God-tier, 2010 is Dao-Tier.

Quick search on Google gave ~$100

That is the price of two video games these days.

Not anywhere near ridiculously expensive.

LibreOffice still has issues opening simple files.

Had many instances of "This should be one page, but FailOffice opens it as two" and so on.

It is a joke.

Those that do not want to pay can simply pirate the product. Why bother with FailOffice LibreOffice?

You're a joke.

I don't think you understand the fact that the vast majority of people don't need all those obscure features that Microsoft claims it has. People want a word processor, a slideshow app, and a spreadsheet app. They get all that, and LibreOffice is quite close to what Microsoft offers. It doesn't need every single feature to be useful to the vast majority of people, just like Google Docs doesn't need all those extra features to take off, and Google Docs is taking off.

So cheap they don't spend 300 ?

WTF is wrong with the kids here at Neowin ?

Do you have a family ?

300$ is a lot of money for something most people use once a year. Most people use Word to update their CV and that's it. And for that Open Office and Libre Office no matter what MS babies like to say is more than enough.

So cheap they don't spend 300 ?

WTF is wrong with the kids here at Neowin ?

Do you have a family ?

300$ is a lot of money for something most people use once a year. Most people use Word to update their CV and that's it. And for that Open Office and Libre Office no matter what MS babies like to say is more than enough.

Indeed. Office should be free.

Heck, you can do everything better with Latex if you know how to use it.

How about you guys let others use whatever they want instead of preaching? I don't get how this affect you.

Indeed. Office should be free.

No it should not. But unless you own a cie the price is simply too high for the average joe.

The home and student version is 160$. It includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint only. The license is very restrictive and it can't be used for any activity beside home activities and this include non profit activities. I'm not even sure you can legally use Excel to track the lemonade stand of your daugther ...

The lack of acess and publisher makes it totally useless for a lot of students. PowerPoint is totally useless for most home users. So basically i don't know who is supposed to buy this. Most students already get a full version for free from their school. Home users will use Word and Excel only and 160$ for 2 softwares coming with a very restrictive license is a lot of money.

MS Office Pro is a good product for a cie (small, medium or large). But the home and student version is underwhelming at best. Not worth the price asked for it if you are a home users and legally only do what you are suppoed to do with it which is next to nothing considering the license.

If you are going to make a CV only Libre Office do the job. If you need Office for job then ask your boss to buy you a license. If you want to start a cie then it's a good investment.

How about you guys let others use whatever they want instead of preaching? I don't get how this affect you.

Yeah you are right and anyway it's probably just trolling.

Couldn't find a changelog for this release, good news nonetheless. I use LibreOffice for home use on Linux, although I do have MS Office 2007 for Windows. I must admit that aside from the UI looking like total ass compared to newer versions of office, it's pretty much the most feature complete office suite that many people could ask for, and it boggles the mind how a competitive office suite can be offered for free.

=====================

Also, (despite the obvious trolling) lmao at the people that think that not spending $160-300 on features they'll never need makes us cheapskates. Some people actually don't have thousands of <insert currency here> lying around to spend on the latest update to Microsoft Office. I certainly don't since the newer versions of LibreOffice seem to do everything that I need them to do.

For $300, I was talking about the business suite that even includes Outlook in there. You can easily get away with Windows Live Mail and Windows Calendar if you?re not so much into scheduling rendezvous and connecting with everybody. If you only need Word, Excel and Powerpoint, you can get it for $150, taxes included. If you can?t afford to pay $150 for a robust Office suite every 6-7 years, why can you even afford a computer? Nobody said you needed to upgrade on every release. ;)

Yes I know it?s multi-platform, which is also a synonym of slow.

I still use Office 2003 at my job, and they were thinking of switching the whole company to LibreOffice or OpenOffice. After some research, they?re much better off staying with Office 2003 and I am not kidding. These open source projects don?t do much more. It?s not that I don?t believe in free and open source projects, there are great things out there, but such a huge project really needs a lot of devoted people and it doesn?t really ever happen.

I know LibreOffice and OpenOffice can do a lot, but God everything?s so wrong and badly implemented it?s ridiculous. It looks like an engineering application, and I have yet to see an engineering application with an native, intuitive and fast interface.

About Oracle not merging LibreOffice and OpenOffice together, they still thought about killing OpenOffice. Doesn?t that tell you how bad it is?

?

By the way, as you can see in my sig, yes I do have an iMac. I have it because I hate Microsoft to death and was tired of Windows. But I do owe them a lot of respect for their Office suite. In the past decade, nobody has ever approached its feature set and robustness yet, not the LibreOffice team, not the OpenOffice team, and not Apple?s team either.

I use ms office 2007 at work, but I just have no use for it at home. For the odd times I need to edit a document LibreOffice does just fine.

It doesn't look that pretty, but with the faenza icons it doesn't look that bad either. I mean, we've been dealing with that crappy UI on ms office for years, and now it's such a big deal?

About Oracle not merging LibreOffice and OpenOffice together, they still thought about killing OpenOffice. Doesn?t that tell you how bad it is?

Oracle wanted to kill OO.org because there was no way to monetize it, not because it was bad. Besides, OO.org is all but dead now anyway, since the LibreOffice team have pushed forward without Oracle, and left them behind.

Yes I know it?s multi-platform, which is also a synonym of slow.

No it's not, it's a synonym of "I use Linux, and Microsoft don't do an office suite for Linux, so I use an office suite that I can use on Linux".

=========================

LibreOffice/OpenOffice offer a competitive suite of office utilities for free. Granted, MS Office is better, but to me, it's not ?150 better for what I use it for, and it's still three applications vs six.

Seriously, I don't understand the hate. Has LibreOffice somehow offended you because it gives people a free office suite?

Seriously, I don't understand the hate. Has LibreOffice somehow offended you because it gives people a free office suite?

You?ll find it funny because in fact it does offend me every day. The story?s a little complicated, but here it goes :

The company where I work for has Office 2003 and Access 97, they are overdue for a change. They asked for companies to deploy Office 2010 on their 3000 computers or something, with the best support, cheapest price, etc.

Now, a journalist wrote a nice article saying we weren?t looking for alternatives like LibreOffice and OpenOffice. Result, instead of working with Office 2010 all summer, I?m working with an antique piece of software, buggy, slow as a dog and unoptimized for my dual-core computer. What this journalist doesn?t know is, it?s clearly not viable to switch to this. It has uncertain future, it?s not robust, and we would have gazillions of compatibility problems with our existing documents. The guy wrote that in the newspaper just to create **** and gain fame.

Having tried LibreOffice and OpenOffice this year, I realized that we would gain nothing over Office 2003, except more problems.

I put OpenOffice (well now LibreOffice) on all my new non-business builds if the customer wants it and doesn't have Wordperfect (lawyers tend to prefer it) or MS Office to put on it. I do tell them we can't guarantee the speed or compatibility of the program but people want something better than the crappy stuff that comes with Windows 7. We still suggest MS Office for business use though.

You?ll find it funny because in fact it does offend me every day. The story?s a little complicated, but here it goes :

The company where I work for has Office 2003 and Access 97, they are overdue for a change. They asked for companies to deploy Office 2010 on their 3000 computers or something, with the best support, cheapest price, etc.

Now, a journalist wrote a nice article saying we weren?t looking for alternatives like LibreOffice and OpenOffice. Result, instead of working with Office 2010 all summer, I?m working with an antique piece of software, buggy, slow as a dog and unoptimized for my dual-core computer. What this journalist doesn?t know is, it?s clearly not viable to switch to this. It has uncertain future, it?s not robust, and we would have gazillions of compatibility problems with our existing documents. The guy wrote that in the newspaper just to create **** and gain fame.

Having tried LibreOffice and OpenOffice this year, I realized that we would gain nothing over Office 2003, except more problems.

Yeah that's pretty bad. I don't think I'd be in a place at the minute to recommend LibreOffice in a corporate environment when the MS Office UI is so far ahead. I certainly wouldn't recommend rolling it out as a replacement to office without testing the water first. But for personal use, I still recommend it to people, since if they don't like it, they haven't spent anything, and can still upgrade to Office if they're disgruntled enough.

Actually, if anything, that tells me that it is pretty good, since it seems that Oracle is intent on killing anything that was good about Sun.

Still stuck with 3.x branch on Ubuntu, even with the official PPA!

Hurry up already!

Why dont you install directly from .deb's?