Windows 7 Not designed for 1 GIG memory & 1.66GhZ Atom

Story:

Bought a New Aspire One D257

Windows 7 Starters Edition X86

1.66GHZ Atom

1GIG DDR3

GMA 3150

250GIG 5400 HDD

Windows 7 x86 Starters edition preloaded. It has a habit of locking up and then unlocking up 30 Seconds later. It seems to be a lack of memory. Who at MS said 1 GIG would run windows 7?

So I decided to load Ubuntu 11.4 x86 and so far it worked right OOBE (loaded all drivers perfectly)

I notice the default Drive layout is / & swap at 1.1gig? thought it be higher then that?

Truth be told I hate linux but it seems to handles this Netbook a lot better then windows 7 dose. The thing that got me hooked is the new Unity Desktop ubuntu made standard. No start menu, A sexy side bar, When u click the (Ubuntu Orb) it loads a tile menu screen on the desktop. runs really sexy. love were the search bar is. I hope windows Start Screen has this basic idea. A lot of Icons/Titles + a search bar.

I love a world with out a start menu. It works really well. Give Ubuntu 11.4+ Unity or Gnome 3 a Try to see what its all about.

A sexy side bar, When u click the (Ubuntu Orb) it loads a tile menu screen on the desktop. runs really sexy.

Calm down and stop sweating, it's just an OS. Not a person. :rolleyes:

Wolves, sounds like you got yourself a dud >.<

I have it running on a couple of atoms and it runs fine >.<

I booted it on a 256MB VM and it runs fine (and beats the **** out of my harddrive) and same with the P4 :p

1Gb should have been fine >.<

I'm not sure what the issue is. One issue with a fresh install of Windows is it spends some time indexing your files, and this significantly slows down the machine if the hard drive is slow. I don't know if this is the issue, but if it is then it would have resolved after a day or so.

The other issue is yes there might be a memory issue and having a page file on a 5400rpm drive can cause significant slowdowns. Memory is really cheap these days so adding another gig would be $20 or $30 and the problem would go away if that is it. Linux is absolutely way lighter on memory though, you're correct.

I have windows 7 home premium loaded onto an older aspire one (It came preloaded with XP) and it runs flawlessly, even with aero enabled/. I would personally think theres something wrong with yours.

Story:

Bought a New Aspire One D257

Windows 7 Starters Edition X86

1.66GHZ Atom

1GIG DDR3

GMA 3150

250GIG 5400 HDD

Windows 7 x86 Starters edition preloaded. It has a habit of locking up and then unlocking up 30 Seconds later. It seems to be a lack of memory. Who at MS said 1 GIG would run windows 7?

So I decided to load Ubuntu 11.4 x86 and so far it worked right OOBE (loaded all drivers perfectly)

I notice the default Drive layout is / & swap at 1.1gig? thought it be higher then that?

Truth be told I hate linux but it seems to handles this Netbook a lot better then windows 7 dose. The thing that got me hooked is the new Unity Desktop ubuntu made standard. No start menu, A sexy side bar, When u click the (Ubuntu Orb) it loads a tile menu screen on the desktop. runs really sexy. love were the search bar is. I hope windows Start Screen has this basic idea. A lot of Icons/Titles + a search bar.

I love a world with out a start menu. It works really well. Give Ubuntu 11.4+ Unity or Gnome 3 a Try to see what its all about.

I installed 7 on a a 7 year old PC and it works like a charm.... I think u have something wrong with ur new netbook.....

p4 512mb RAM...

1GB is plenty... It's more then likely the unfortunate performance of atoms or other hardware. either way it's hardware and not software.

Got Windows 7 Ultimate running on my netbook and runs just fine. Mine also came with 7 Starter Edition and it seemed to run worse than full blown 7 for some odd reason. Ubuntu uses less memory on it, but seems to run a little slower with opening of apps and system settings and what not.

I have the exact same problem.... However I have much higher specs on my notebook. Dual core, 2gigs of 1333Mhz ram etc.

This problem is all over the internet and there is no solution. Very very annoying... :(

Happens on x86 and x64 windows7 too.

I have the exact same problem.... However I have much higher specs on my notebook. Dual core, 2gigs of 1333Mhz ram etc.

This problem is all over the internet and there is no solution. Very very annoying... :(

Happens on x86 and x64 windows7 too.

Is yours starter edition as well or is a full version of 7?

get windows XP its just better for those specs... unless you are using that just for browsing then stay with linux and firefox

No no no no no no no No NO!

Seriously. No.

your problem is that you're not running vanilla windows 7, but rather windows 7 bloated by all the crapware that the OEM has thrown on. that **** doesn't run well on ANY system.

This is indeed true.

• Like 1

I installed 7 on a a 7 year old PC and it works like a charm.... I think u have something wrong with ur new netbook.....

p4 512mb RAM...

Windows 7 doesn't "run like a charm" with 512mb of RAM. It runs like a charm if you don't use any programs at all on it, but it's way more memory heavy than XP and 7 will make massive use of a pagefile because the computer quickly runs out of memory.

7 uses less memory then XP, however will take advantage of memory where in it is offered.

It does abuse swap, but XP does with those memory limits also. The abuse with 7 would be less then XP.

The memory management for 7 is far better than for XP.

No no no no no no no No NO!

Seriously. No.

why not? just because its outdated its not a bad choice, besides unless microsoft really will lower windows 8 requirements i rather run windows xp on OLDER and lower spec machine.

Ultimate edition.. :( cause mine is not a netbook. it is 15.6 inch notebook.

Drivers are most likely the cause, although it's possible you have a head parking issue with your disk.

There are tons of different things that could cause it. It's why I always clean install when ever I get a computer.

why not? just because its outdated its not a bad choice, besides unless microsoft really will lower windows 8 requirements i rather run windows xp on OLDER and lower spec machine.

No, being outdated is no reason to stop using it, although it's attack surface is MASSIVE.

The reasons are improved memory management, CPU core optimizations, improved driver platform, thread handler improvements etc etc.

It's not anti-XP for the sake of being anti-XP. In fact it's not even anti-XP, it's just that 7 is a better platform.

The biggest reason of all really is the decreased attack surface.. /shrug

• Like 2

I dont want to and I can't run XP on my notebook. Mine only supports windows7 and up. There are no drivers for XP or VISTA.

This locking up thing does not come every day. However sometimes it is very very annoying. Sometimes restarting solves to problem. Sometimes not. It is not predictable.

I have tried literally everything to solve this but there is no success. If I dont use sleep just shut down then it occurs less.

I went through tons of clean installs. Under ubuntu there is no such problem.

Hegedus David - Did you use a clean media disk? Or did you use the recovery on the laptop?

When I say clean install, I mean original disk direct from Microsoft kind >.<

Hegedus David - Did you use a clean media disk? Or did you use the recovery on the laptop?

When I say clean install, I mean original disk direct from Microsoft kind >.<

Original disc! I also borrowed one from my friend to try that one.

The internet is full with this problem so I guess we have to wait till microsoft solve this..

7 uses less memory then XP, however will take advantage of memory where in it is offered.

It does abuse swap, but XP does with those memory limits also. The abuse with 7 would be less then XP.

The memory management for 7 is far better than for XP.

That's simply false. XP uses less. The memory management is better, but that doesn't mean anything when there's a big limit on available memory and the OS uses more.