Windows 7 Not designed for 1 GIG memory & 1.66GhZ Atom

First off I all ways do a Clean Install on any Shelf Model hardware,

Second I did pin it down to running out of memory. It would fill up and then freeze, 20 seconds later there be 60% of free total memory.

I did think Windows Xp until I released there NO DRIVERS for this device for XP. I was sorta hoping to run some old XP games that use IPX but oh well. (Theme Hospital 4 Player kicks ass over IPX)

yes I notice loading apps in Linux take a but longer but the OS it self loads quicker and preference system task faster (IE opening File Manger, Copy, past ect)

So I think I stick with Ubuntu On this NetBook. The Lack of NO Start menu well get me ready for Windows 8 Start Screen, Also I betting Windows 8 will run better then 7 dose on netbooks do to light wait requirements for ARM. ye I know ARM is not the cpu on this laptop but Windows 8 Will be Optimized for all device including need to be light wait , light foot print for ARM Devices.

I dont want to and I can't run XP on my notebook. Mine only supports windows7 and up. There are no drivers for XP or VISTA.

This locking up thing does not come every day. However sometimes it is very very annoying. Sometimes restarting solves to problem. Sometimes not. It is not predictable.

I have tried literally everything to solve this but there is no success. If I dont use sleep just shut down then it occurs less.

I went through tons of clean installs. Under ubuntu there is no such problem.

Get this http://www.memtest.org/

run it overnight. you problem sounds like you have a hardware problem, most likely memory.

I have the exact same problem.... However I have much higher specs on my notebook. Dual core, 2gigs of 1333Mhz ram etc.

This problem is all over the internet and there is no solution. Very very annoying... :(

Happens on x86 and x64 windows7 too.

What anti-virus are you running?

Degraded performance is either driver problems or malware. Or Norton/McAfee (that's malware to me).

i bought a netbook with 1 gig of ram: windows 7 by itself worked fine using about 700MB of that ram, but the remaining 300MB weren't enough to use other programs without hangs and stuff, so i spent 30? and bought a 2GB set and stuffed into the netbook and worked perfectly with 2-3 programs opened.

I am running windows 7 on a acer eee pc 900a with an atom 1.6 ,1 gig ram and 16 gig ssd drive and it runs great.

Its either the starter edition thats the problem or needs fresh install of windows 7.

PS the first thing that should be done with windows 7 on a netbook is disabling indexing. makes the machine run much better.

I am running windows 7 on a acer eee pc 900a with an atom 1.6 ,1 gig ram and 16 gig ssd drive and it runs great.

Its either the starter edition thats the problem or needs fresh install of windows 7.

PS the first thing that should be done with windows 7 on a netbook is disabling indexing. makes the machine run much better.

I don't agree. Indexing speeds any computer up once everything has been indexed. You just have to put up with slow performance for the first day or two while everything is indexed.

Oh well since you cant use XP, stay with ubuntu, mint or any good distribution.

Windows 7 its a big improvement over XP hell even vista its an improvement over XP in every single aspects, but lets face it 1gb of ram or below (considering a netbook with integrated video ram) its just not enough to run win 7 right. Windows XP in contrast require less hardware its optimized for old machines i still have a machine with 256 of ram running xp and its ok, with 1gb of ram its just good enough.

with windows 7 you have a great OS, better looking and more secure but put an antivirus and some apps and the machine will just slow down, this wont happen with XP

Story:

Bought a New Aspire One D257

Windows 7 Starters Edition X86

1.66GHZ Atom

1GIG DDR3

GMA 3150

250GIG 5400 HDD

Windows 7 x86 Starters edition preloaded. It has a habit of locking up and then unlocking up 30 Seconds later. It seems to be a lack of memory. Who at MS said 1 GIG would run windows 7?

So I decided to load Ubuntu 11.4 x86 and so far it worked right OOBE (loaded all drivers perfectly)

I notice the default Drive layout is / & swap at 1.1gig? thought it be higher then that?

Truth be told I hate linux but it seems to handles this Netbook a lot better then windows 7 dose. The thing that got me hooked is the new Unity Desktop ubuntu made standard. No start menu, A sexy side bar, When u click the (Ubuntu Orb) it loads a tile menu screen on the desktop. runs really sexy. love were the search bar is. I hope windows Start Screen has this basic idea. A lot of Icons/Titles + a search bar.

I love a world with out a start menu. It works really well. Give Ubuntu 11.4+ Unity or Gnome 3 a Try to see what its all about.

I would look for updated drivers and have a peek in the event viewer for any errors.

all drivers and bios is up to date. Did a Clean instal Via AIO Disc

I wait it out until windows 8 has a beta or something stable that fit on here. It should be lower footprint due to be able to run on arm devices as well. Time will tell I guess. in the mean time I will get it stuffed with 2 GIG of ram the moment I can

I'll throw my hat in the ring with my install story. I actually had Windows 7 running on a Toshiba 410CDT - Pentium III with 512Mb of memory. I was amazed how well it ran. The only reason I took it off is because I didn't want to waste a license on it so it has Ubuntu now.

Upgrading my Netbook to 2GB of RAM rather than 1 worked wonders for me. Only cost about ?20 too.

Same here, first thing I did with my netbook.

I wonder how an SSD would perform in a netbook.

Story:

1.66GHZ Atom

1GIG DDR3

GMA 3150

250GIG 5400 HDD

Windows 7 x86 Starters edition preloaded. It has a habit of locking up and then unlocking up 30 Seconds later. It seems to be a lack of memory. Who at MS said 1 GIG would run windows 7?

So I decided to load Ubuntu 11.4 x86 and so far it worked right OOBE (loaded all drivers perfectly)

I notice the default Drive layout is / & swap at 1.1gig? thought it be higher then that?

Truth be told I hate linux but it seems to handles this Netbook a lot better then windows 7 dose. The thing that got me hooked is the new Unity Desktop ubuntu made standard. No start menu, A sexy side bar, When u click the (Ubuntu Orb) it loads a tile menu screen on the desktop. runs really sexy. love were the search bar is. I hope windows Start Screen has this basic idea. A lot of Icons/Titles + a search bar.

I love a world with out a start menu. It works really well. Give Ubuntu 11.4+ Unity or Gnome 3 a Try to see what its all about.

7 runs fine on my 3 year old eeePC, with a 1.6 and 1GB RAM.

Try not basing your argument on Starter.

I'm running Windows 7 on an old machine from 7 years ago with only 512mb of memory... works quite well, even though 1gb is the minimum requirement.

I have windows 7 on my tablet thats a 1ghz dual core with 2gb of memory, mind you it has a solid state 32gb but its a VERY low preforming solid state. All in all its flawless operation.

I also have windows 7 running on my netbook, with 1gb of memory and it runs fine with a intel 1.6 atom.

Windows 7 starter edition is a joke, get rid of it. Also never use a oem pc and expect it to preform great out of the box. Its pre-loaded with bloatware and what not. I always format all my devices from factory to clean.

If your running any sort of anti-virus malware protection on a netbook or tablet variety, that will be a huge performance hog as these programs are on any pc. Disable/Uninstall it and you will notice a huge improvement. Even the clean ones like Avast manage to slow things done considerably on these lower preforming tools. Best anti-virus is common sense anyways.

I'd rather do it manually so I know what's being removed and what's being done and so I can keep the useful stuff.

you get to select what to remove ,it just automatize the process

so I reload my Windows & starters edition Image from my WHS V1 and then took my retail Ultimate edition key, Upgraded it,

During the upgrade processes it DOSE NOT Activate the key (bonus) since I already have it activated on my Gaming rig.

any was the Full Blown Edition of windows 7 dose run better then the starters edition. Strange

I doing another backup of it since the upgrade and then I see if it start freezing randomly do to lack of memory. I still plan on getting the 2 Gig upgrade though

Story:

1.66GHZ Atom

1GIG DDR3

GMA 3150

250GIG 5400 HDD

That had nothing to do with Windows 7 itself and everything to do with the crap and bloatware that came pre-installed with it (usually McAfee's AV choking the hell out of the Atom processor). Windows 7 can, and does, run quite happily and smoothly on Atom systems and those with only 1GB of ram. Heck, it still runs smooth on only 768MB of ram!!!

Don't blame the OS, blame the pre-installation of it. :)