Bizarre - Can't save JPG's in IE6/Win2k?!

i have a win2k machine and was running IE5.5. when i was browsing a site that had JPG's and i wanted to save one of the JPG's i would simply grab it and drag it to a folder/desktop and it would save the JPG locally. for some reason when i try to drag a JPG now it gives me the circle w/a line through it and won't allow me to drag the JPG to my desktop/directory. if i right click on the JPG and choose Save Picture As it will only save it as a BMP.

i went through all of my options and couldn't figure out why it was happening so i installed IE6. i was then able to drag and drop JPG's again but lo and behold the same issue is back again...maybe it was a reboot or something b/c i don't remember making any changes to effect it. now if i want to save a JPG i just use my winXP or win98se machine running IE6 or IE5.5 but this problem is annoying as hell. does anyone know how i can fix this and why it's happening?

• 2 weeks later...

Omg - I have the exact problem and came to this forum to post about this.. only to see this thread!

I have upgraded from 1E 5.5 to IE 6 and everything has been fine for the last few months (since the upgrade) till very recently.. When I try to save a JPEG image - all it will save as is BMP and thats low quality aswell..

I went to CP > add remove proggys > and repaired IE - but to no avail.. restored all defaults in the browser.. stillno joy..

pls help - whats wrong?? cos this is really ****ing me off!

Thanks

ps: I am running win 98 SE btw and when I run Opera - everything is fine.. so my prob lies with IE.. HELP!!!

Hey man - guess what? Ive solved the problem!!!!! :)

Here goes.. delete your temp internet files and wohoo.. problem solved! :) Apparently if this folder is full you will experience this problem - a bug in IE.. hardly surprising

Thanks to yahoo search - I found this which highlights this problem with the above remedy ---> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q260650

Hope Ive helped!

Originally posted by nekrosoft13

i know that some sites have scripts that won't let you save. and some will only let you save .bmps

SuperCars only allows you to save .bmps

I seem to be able to save JPEG's just fine from SuperCars

using WindowsXP and IE6 :p;)

Bye,

Fonzie