samsung galaxy s2 htc sensation galaxy s2

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 August 2011 - 23:16

Screen resolution on the Sensation is what matters for me that's why I wouldn't buy the SGII.

Plus the design is so much better, its not like I'm using a plastic phone.

#17 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 15 August 2011 - 15:45

Screen resolution on the Sensation is what matters for me that's why I wouldn't buy the SGII.

This was the winner for me too. Had a few GS2's come back with issues so far too, hardly inspired

#18 +mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:54

The screen resolution debate is a complete non issue really. Next to each other you don't get more icons on your homescreen because of the higher resolution on the Sensation which is a bummer. The Super AMOLED+ screen on the Sensation never fails to amaze anyone that views photos on it or videos, So vivid and so crisp. Samsung said themselves that for this phone they decided against using a high res display as it wasn't needed, and rightly so.

On the Sensation you get colour shifting from wide angles and also washed out colours. Just like you do on all non AMOLED phones. Blacks are also dark grey.. A lot of people like the fact that you can't tell where the screen starts and end on the S2 which makes for a cool effect on all black themes apps:

Posted Image

The GSII offers more scope, is lighter, thinner and thus more pocket friendly AND it is a tough phone as well. It may be plastic but it has no creaking or parts that come off easily. It is a tight fit as far as the shell goes and has a massive following from the XDA community and now Modaco since this week Paul Obrien released his ROM for the S2.

Sensation is a great phone but it was always 2nd best from the very start as it was late to the game and it isn't as powerful or as popular as the Galaxy. note that the camera is also of higher quality on the Galaxy S II. The Sensation has stereo recording but the video transition when it meters from light to dark and vice versa still stuttesy from HTC's weaker camera hardware. It's better than all other HTC phones but it's nowhere near as smooth as the Samsung or even the iPhone 4.

And then there's the measly 1GB of internal storage, even if you move apps to SD card the App data still remains on internal memory and this grows over time so that 1GB of storage fills up if you are using your smartphone daily as.....a modern smartphone. The exact same problem hit the HTC Desire and only Apps2SD and various scripts in ROMs helped like Data2SD/cache2SD. Quite why HTC only give you 1GB for internal mem I don't know..

IMO you've got to be a die hard HTC/SenseUI fan to choose a Sensation over an S2.

#19 Nayos

Nayos

Kor

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:56

I had an S2 for a week and it struggled to display white text on certain wallpapers. The text would have a faint black edge to it.
Couldn't live with it so I took it back.

#20 +mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:01

Possibly a faulty handset as no issues here and certainly no issues like that I've noticed on any of the dev/support forums I'm on. Did you not try another unit?

#21 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:03

I had an S2 for a week and it struggled to display white text on certain wallpapers. The text would have a faint black edge to it.
Couldn't live with it so I took it back.

Bad phone maybe ? I have no such problem.

We have pretty much all the phones here at works, I tested the Sensation, I was not that impressed with it. But I was impressed with the GS2.
Of course it is unlocked, rooted and custom rom FTW.

#22 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2011 - 23:00

Prefer HTC Sense to Samsung Touchwiz, but you'd be crazy to buy a Sensation over an SGS2. The SGS2 is better in every way other than software... but you'll get over that shortcoming. If you don't like Touchwiz you can root and install stock Android. If you went for the Sensation you can't do anything about the hardware, but if you go the SGS2 there are options to improve the software experience should you want to explore them.

That's just my opinion. A lot of people like Touchwiz.

#23 +mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

Posted 18 August 2011 - 23:19

Touchwhiz is just the launcher and not the internal core of Samsung's ROM, worth noting bevcause you can completely uninstall Touchwhiz and still have full functionality of the phone using an alt launcher like GoLauncherEX which IMO is much better.

If you remove SenseUI from a HTC phone then you won't be able to boot the phone properly at all. SenseUI has to be running in the background in order for the phone to work even if you use another Launcher app because it relies on a lot of core services to work together.

Samsung also employs hardware acceleration in everything whereas HTC's SenseUI does not.

#24 Nayos

Nayos

Kor

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:36

Bad phone maybe ? I have no such problem.

We have pretty much all the phones here at works, I tested the Sensation, I was not that impressed with it. But I was impressed with the GS2.
Of course it is unlocked, rooted and custom rom FTW.

http://i.imgur.com/oSZut.jpg

That's a screenshot I took from the phone.
There's no outline on the picture itself, but if you view it full-screen on an S2, you can see a faint outline around the white text.

Let me know if you can see it on your phone because I sometimes wonder if I just imagined it all and returned the phone too quickly.

#25 +mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:53

http://i.imgur.com/oSZut.jpg

That's a screenshot I took from the phone.
There's no outline on the picture itself, but if you view it full-screen on an S2, you can see a faint outline around the white text.

Let me know if you can see it on your phone because I sometimes wonder if I just imagined it all and returned the phone too quickly.

I don't see any outline on mine on that image or any like it locally.

#26 Nayos

Nayos

Kor

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:12

I don't see any outline on mine on that image or any like it locally.

I tried two handsets and it's there.
Could have been a bad batch I guess.

A friend I know has one, I might bluetooth the screenshot to her and see if it's there.

#27 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:17

Touchwhiz is just the launcher and not the internal core of Samsung's ROM, worth noting bevcause you can completely uninstall Touchwhiz and still have full functionality of the phone using an alt launcher like GoLauncherEX which IMO is much better.

If you remove SenseUI from a HTC phone then you won't be able to boot the phone properly at all. SenseUI has to be running in the background in order for the phone to work even if you use another Launcher app because it relies on a lot of core services to work together.

Samsung also employs hardware acceleration in everything whereas HTC's SenseUI does not.

Ahh, didn't realise you could uninstall Touchwiz.. can you add it back if you change your mind?

Assuming you can do this without root? :p

#28 Kasteo

Kasteo

สวัสดี

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:43

Some guys in Thailand test Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Sensation and others..... Samsung Galaxy S2 is almost twice as fast....

#29 vetcashman

cashman

Let Love Be The Healer

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:30

I think it's quite apparent that the SGS2 is a better phone than the Sensation. That's why I'm waiting for the next batch of phones from HTC. I just prefer their phones, and with the next HTC phones I expect them to have 8/16GB of internal memory. Come on HTC, release them already.

#30 +mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:56

Ahh, didn't realise you could uninstall Touchwiz.. can you add it back if you change your mind?

Assuming you can do this without root? :p

You do need root to uninstall system apps on any Android phone but rooting it is so easy anyway so shouldn't be an issue.

You can restore it too, just use the backup you created before uninstalling it!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!