I hate Backup Exec

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#31 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 28

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:27

sorry but a town that accepts computer associates as a resident needs to also be cleansed of their stupidity. :p

#32 OP TEX4S

TEX4S

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:39

sorry but a town that accepts computer associates as a resident needs to also be cleansed of their stupidity. :p

:blink: uh oh - just give me 24 hr heads up - thats all I need LOL

I wanted to update this thread to say thank you to all who have helped. I did my 1st live backup w/ LTO on one of our big servers, and when I got in on Monday - my boss was smiling from ear to ear - because everything I setup ran flawlessly. (he has been told by 2 of my predecessors that Backup Exec WILL NOT WORK - and to use (get this) Acronis True Image.... uhhhh.... it might be great for your desktop @ home - but its hardly an Enterprise software.

Regardless, Thank You gentlemen - your tips and thoughts have helped.

sc302 - The ArcVault12 we have (tape robot) is pretty slick - I doubt it has anything to do with Arcserve - as a matter of fact - it is by Overland Storage I think...

go ahead with the nukes - :cool:

#33 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:48

True Image is a enterprise solution but their licensing business model blows ass....blows it out more than backup exec. 800 to 1200 per server. At least backup exec gives you an agent license for 600. Either way imo it is a ridiculous cost for copying.

#34 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:01

I'm glad it worked out for you TEX4S. Let me know if you need any help.

#35 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:55

for VMWare backups I recommend Veeam.

#36 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 September 2011 - 22:06

First off do not nule computer associates headquaters as its on long island and thats where i live. lol

Also backup exec 2010 is not as bad as people say. It backups clusters being used as hyper-v storage that a lot of backup programs cannot backup. We have been using ultrabac here and I asked to convert to backup exec as thats what I am used to and I am glad I did.

PS I was able to get 2010 r3 for $100 and all its agents and options and unlimited machines since we are a library. Not many companies will do that.

#37 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 September 2011 - 22:49

First off do not nule computer associates headquaters as its on long island and thats where i live. lol

Get them to move out and you won't have an issue :p. Start petitioning, there are less than 5 people/companies that are on my nuke off the face of the earth and their surrounding areas list.

The douche that just cut me off doesn't make that list, he can be taken out with a sniper (just so you see that you have to royally screw me to get on my nuke list, fker was 5 cm from impact.).

#38 OP TEX4S

TEX4S

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:56

Get them to move out and you won't have an issue :p. Start petitioning, there are less than 5 people/companies that are on my nuke off the face of the earth and their surrounding areas list.

The douche that just cut me off doesn't make that list, he can be taken out with a sniper (just so you see that you have to royally screw me to get on my nuke list, fker was 5 cm from impact.).

LOL

OK Ive got a deal for you - you hire me to do the sniper kills (I do competition precision shooting on the weekends sometime) and in exchange for the contract killing - you'll give me 24 hours to get the hell out of Dallas before it glows in the dark.

FYI: Cowboys Stadium in the rancid cesspool known as Arlington, TX - should be "ground zero"

#39 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 September 2011 - 16:10

for VMWare backups I recommend Veeam.

I can't recommend it at all. It only supports VMware with no love for Hyper-V. It doesn't protect physical machines. It doesn't support tape and cloud for storage. Veeam claim that Backup Exec does not support agent-less backups of guest VMs, which is rubbish. I could go on, but I feel that I made my prima facie case...