official tps gears of war epic games xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

#16 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 August 2011 - 00:14

Quoting what I said from the news story:

These DLC plans are getting out of hand. It's no secret that DLC map packs cost very little to product, and having it planned out to the extent that companies currently do is insane. In some of the Black Ops files, for instance, people have been able to know the maps in the next map pack.

This all leads me to believe that developers/publishers are making these map packs quick and then sitting on them in order to release them at times where they can maximize profit. I mean, they're businesses so I can't fault them from that aspect, but for fans it sucks, because you're paying a lot for a few maps that really don't cost developers much at all.

If I didn't love Gears of War so much I'd boycott getting it... but damn does Epic know my weakness.

#17 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 August 2011 - 13:18

Doing it this way is a lot better than how they did it before. If you remember, they released all the map packs separately, and then released a significantly cheaper All Fronts pack which included all the new maps and the deleted chapter in the campaign. At least here the deal is a bit more open, the catch is you don't know what the DLC is going to be like.

I'm in Gears 3 for the long haul so I'll be buying it. This kind of business is why I have ramped down on gaming the last few years, developers look for every way to get money from people's pockets, often by releasing an unfinished game in the first place. I just love Gears too much to ignore the deal though.

#18 +LingeringSoul

LingeringSoul

Wings won't take me, heights don't phase me

Posted 30 August 2011 - 14:04

I definitely understand the concerns that people have with respect to DLC map packs, and whether or not they're overpriced. It's hard, because I can honestly see both sides of the issue. In some cases, there is a lot of work going into those maps post-launch, and in those instances I don't have a problem paying $10 or even $15 for a map pack. However, we do have situations like the one that Ayepecks described, where developers are creating their map packs ahead of time and then just sitting on them in order to maximize their profit. Sometimes it's just impossible to distinguish between the honest developers and the dishonest developers (outside of rare instances, i.e. downloading a 100 KB key that just unlocks content on the disk).

That being said, I'm also in this for the long haul (been anticipating this game ever since the beta), and so I will certainly be getting the season pass. Feels a little wrong to support such an easily exploitable practice, but I really like Gears...

#19 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 31 August 2011 - 19:38

@danacowley danacowley
Big cinematic @GearsofWar3 spot airs tonight on @Machinima_com at 9pm PT/midnight ET. We hope you'll love "Dust to Dust" as much as we do.

I cannot wait. :D

#20 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:06

#21 +LingeringSoul

LingeringSoul

Wings won't take me, heights don't phase me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 14:55

Neat trailer, though part of me wishes that some of the more emotional aspects of Epic's trailers would find their way into the actual games :p.

#22 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

Posted 01 September 2011 - 18:15

Neat trailer, though part of me wishes that some of the more emotional aspects of Epic's trailers would find their way into the actual games :p.

The trailer itself didn't really appeal to me. it wasn't as epic enough as the others.

#23 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 September 2011 - 18:26

The trailer itself didn't really appeal to me. it wasn't as epic enough as the others.

It's pretty cool how it traces through the story so far. But no, it's not particularly 'epic'.

#24 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

Posted 07 September 2011 - 20:30

It's almost here guys... soo close!

Posted Image

#25 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

Posted 08 September 2011 - 14:10

ICE-T Unboxing. No the Lancer is not included btw. That masterpiece Gears of War 2 Triforce Lancer is $1,000. If you are being afraid to be spoiled the first few seconds of the game. I suggest you stop the video when he says ' I'm going into the Campaign '.

#26 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 September 2011 - 16:01

Getting really excited about this now. Really going to try and get to level 100 (and the gold omen weapon skins). Don't know how easy that'll be when I'm just playing Horde, depends how they distribute the XP I guess. At least you earn XP in every mode now.

#27 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

Posted 08 September 2011 - 16:03

Getting really excited about this now. Really going to try and get to level 100 (and the gold omen weapon skins). Don't know how easy that'll be when I'm just playing Horde, depends how they distribute the XP I guess. At least you earn XP in every mode now.

You should aim for playing on those XP events. Hope this can help you out on when you are getting your wings.

#28 SimplySchizo

SimplySchizo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 September 2011 - 16:19

How funny would it be if T gets banned for playing it early? lol

#29 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 September 2011 - 17:13

You should aim for playing on those XP events. Hope this can help you out on when you are getting your wings.

Ah no, I've given up on those. I'm only level 58 as it is and don't have the time to grind to 100 before the 20th. You need more than 6 million XP for level 100 and I've barely cracked a million. I meant get to level 100 in Gears 3, the reward is the golden omen weapon skins. It all depends on how difficult they made it to rank up though. IIRC in the beta I got to level 38, can't remember exactly though, but I didn't play that much.

#30 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 September 2011 - 18:34

I'm almost positive that Epic's said that you'll earn XP in every mode now, including the campaign. I could be wrong, but that's what I seem to recall reading.