Photo

Dota 2

official dota 2 valve steam icefrog defense of the ancients source

176 replies to this topic

#16 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:42

Ok, I am confused - tried reading up and googling about the original "DOTA"; maybe I am just really intoxicated. Everything I google returns either:

Defense of the Ancients; a mod of sorts for Warcraft 3
DotA 2 and Valve

So my question is, am I incapable of using google or did this start out as a mod and was later purcased by Valve for a full on game (that by the 1 non gameplay trailer I saw did not seem RTS-like at all).

Very curious!

#17 troGGers

troGGers

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:58

DotA was originally a free mod of WC3. The original developer, Icefrog, began working for Valve and developing DotA 2.

#18 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:41

Newell: Dota 2 won't ship until 2012

Fantasy strategy game Dota 2 won't ship until 2012, Valve boss Gabe Newell has revealed.

Valve plans to launch an invitation beta after the Gamescom tournament ends. After that a public beta will launch. “And then we'll probably start worrying about how we'll monetise it,” Newell told Eurogamer.

“We'll just go into progressively wider and wider distribution. I don't think it'll be shipped until next year.”

Dota 2 was penned for launch this year.

“But then,” Newell continued, “with a game like this, you just keep shipping. You add new heroes. You try out new game modes. You are constantly tweaking item and hero balance. It's very much an ongoing thing.”

Dota 2 is the sequel to Warcraft 3 mod Defense of the Ancients, and is being developed by the reclusive IceFrog, one of a number of of modders who helped make Dota what it is.

While Dota 2 will be distributed through Valve's own platform, Steam, the firm is yet to decide on a business model.

“We don't have a plan,” Newell said. “IceFrog has a bunch of testers he's worked with as long as he's been doing development. The first thing we've been working with is addressing their concerns. We've been through four or five different versions of the user interface, getting it to the point where we've addressed the feedback we've got from those guys.

“For us now, this tournament is a really good step. A bunch of the features we're building in the design of Dota 2 related to being able to put on a tournament like this. There's a bunch of stat stuff. There's a bunch of website development, support for simultaneous, four-language broadcasting.

“This was the next step.”

Dota 2 could end up going free-to-play, like Team Fortress 2. “We don't know. We don't have plans yet,” Newell said. “The problem isn't to figure out what your monetisation strategy is. If you have something with a super careful monetisation strategy and it sucks, it doesn't matter.

“The most important thing is to do something that resonates well with the existing Dota players and creates a vehicle for new players to join into the community. That's the hard problem. That's the interesting one to solve.”

#19 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:16

Nothing until 2012? That sucks. Hopefully I (or someone I know) gets into the beta. As for the pricing structure, I have a hard time seeing Valve releasing such a hyped and sought after game as Free-to-Play right off the bat.

#20 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2011 - 16:34

Nothing until 2012? That sucks. Hopefully I (or someone I know) gets into the beta. As for the pricing structure, I have a hard time seeing Valve releasing such a hyped and sought after game as Free-to-Play right off the bat.

Nothing officially released until 2012. There will be a beta relatively soon.

And I'm almost positive this will end up being F2P. That's how almost all the DoTA spinoffs/knock-offs have gone.

#21 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 18 August 2011 - 16:54

Love Newell's comment at the end about trying to get a balance for seasoned players as well as newcomers. I'm a newcomer myself and would hate to ruin the game for others while being trashed on myself. Hopefully they can figure that out, I really want to get into this one.

#22 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 18 August 2011 - 17:22

Nothing officially released until 2012. There will be a beta relatively soon.

And I'm almost positive this will end up being F2P. That's how almost all the DoTA spinoffs/knock-offs have gone.

Going F2P is a given. As Newell said, monetising the game is a second priority and wi

Hopefully it will be a much more moderated version of F2P that HON has recently released. Maybe limit each F2P player to 15 games per week (probably all majority of us have time for with studying and work) and offer cash shop cosmetic items, but maintain access to all heroes, maps, and core gameplay features like matchmaking. This would be enough for casual players.

For hardcore 1337 pros, give them chance to purchase the game for access to high ranking tiered gaming or daily/weekly tourneys (cash shop prizes?). Features like this are not essential to basic gameplay, but can offer an extra dimension of fun for those who would otherwise are pro enough to get bored from playing matchmaking games over and over, and know every hero inside out to bother experiementing.

#23 DukeEsquire

DukeEsquire

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 18:30

I would be shocked if the WASN'T F2P.

The two biggest competitors are LoL and HoN and both of them are F2P. They have a huge head start on Dota2 so, unless Dota2 can offer something huge that the other two cannot offer, I see few reasons to purchase Dota2.

#24 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 22 August 2011 - 14:25

Here's a replay of the international tournament:

More here: http://www.youtube.c...EBB8D9316821346

#25 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 23 December 2011 - 23:35

Finally got into the beta, and i'm quite enjoying myself! Coming from playing League for the past few years it's quite a shock at how rusty i've become. Thankfully, i'm not feeding and actually managing to get a few kills here and there. One thing that has really stood out to me is how polished everything is. The ui is clean and simple, the graphics are beautiful, the characters have quality voice work, and best of all the screen does not turn into a cluster **** of spells (looking at you, Heroes of Newerth) when a large team fight breaks out. All in all i'm very impressed. If anyone wants to play a few matches my steam ID is The Tharp Daddy.

#26 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 24 December 2011 - 13:06

Finally got into the beta, and i'm quite enjoying myself! Coming from playing League for the past few years it's quite a shock at how rusty i've become. Thankfully, i'm not feeding and actually managing to get a few kills here and there. One thing that has really stood out to me is how polished everything is. The ui is clean and simple, the graphics are beautiful, the characters have quality voice work, and best of all the screen does not turn into a cluster **** of spells (looking at you, Heroes of Newerth) when a large team fight breaks out. All in all i'm very impressed. If anyone wants to play a few matches my steam ID is The Tharp Daddy.

Same here. I haven't played a match yet. It's been such a long time since I last played DotA and after trying League of Legends/Heroes of Newerth, I realized my skills have diminished significantly. And because of that, I haven't been too excited about getting owned. Thankfully though, I've been playing StarCraft 2 instead so my micro skills haven't completely diminished.

#27 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:45

Anyone got any Dota 2 guides/tutorials? I don't see any in-game, and I've been playing Rise of Immortals a bit and found it very fun... but Dota 2 seems far more polished, and I got it in Steam Gifts. The gameplay mechanics are clearly a bit different, though, so I'm trying to get the hang of it.

#28 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:09

Anyone got any Dota 2 guides/tutorials? I don't see any in-game, and I've been playing Rise of Immortals a bit and found it very fun... but Dota 2 seems far more polished, and I got it in Steam Gifts. The gameplay mechanics are clearly a bit different, though, so I'm trying to get the hang of it.

I tried Rise of the Immortals, and i found it to be a horrible game. Get going with dota, and it will blow your mind to how awesome the moba genre can be.

http://www.playdota....-dota-you-suck/ that is one of the best guides for starting players. The guide is for dota 1, but dota 2 is literally a clone of the first game, minus a few heroes that have yet to be implemented. All the tips and tricks in there still apply. Other then that, it's really just about sucking long enough to get good. I've tried Rise of the Immortals, and virtually nothing you learned in that game will really help in Dota, Dota is a whole nother beast. Some basic tips i can give is watch some live matches in the game, and pay attention to their communication (or lack there of, and resulting loss) and laning tactics. A large part of success will come from how well you lane. Learn to last hit well, and stick with a hero to learn as a beginner. Also, make sure to call MIAs. Nothing will cause a team to rage more then a teammate who is not warning others that people have gone missing from the lane. It's better to call MIA every time you can't see them and flood the chat, then to brush off their dissapearance and suddenly mid gets ganked.

#29 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:56

I tried Rise of the Immortals, and i found it to be a horrible game. Get going with dota, and it will blow your mind to how awesome the moba genre can be.

http://www.playdota....-dota-you-suck/ that is one of the best guides for starting players. The guide is for dota 1, but dota 2 is literally a clone of the first game, minus a few heroes that have yet to be implemented. All the tips and tricks in there still apply. Other then that, it's really just about sucking long enough to get good. I've tried Rise of the Immortals, and virtually nothing you learned in that game will really help in Dota, Dota is a whole nother beast. Some basic tips i can give is watch some live matches in the game, and pay attention to their communication (or lack there of, and resulting loss) and laning tactics. A large part of success will come from how well you lane. Learn to last hit well, and stick with a hero to learn as a beginner. Also, make sure to call MIAs. Nothing will cause a team to rage more then a teammate who is not warning others that people have gone missing from the lane. It's better to call MIA every time you can't see them and flood the chat, then to brush off their dissapearance and suddenly mid gets ganked.

Thanks, will check it out (Y)

#30 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 26 December 2011 - 14:32

Anyone else who payed HON for a long time and then tried the dota2 beta feel it being laggy all the time? I am absolutely sure it's not a hardware or internet lag problem on my end, and I was told by some other players that the reaction times on all the commands are just a lot slower. For new players who have tried neither, this shouldn't be a problem. But, it's really bumming me out because some heroes that I played really well in HON are really are a real struggle in dota2. Hope they improve character reaction times.