Photo

Dota 2

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#31 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 18:13

Anyone else who payed HON for a long time and then tried the dota2 beta feel it being laggy all the time? I am absolutely sure it's not a hardware or internet lag problem on my end, and I was told by some other players that the reaction times on all the commands are just a lot slower. For new players who have tried neither, this shouldn't be a problem. But, it's really bumming me out because some heroes that I played really well in HON are really are a real struggle in dota2. Hope they improve character reaction times.

I've encountered that in a few matches, but not in others. Something you may be feeling (i'm not sure if this is present in HoN) is that there is a very precise amount of time it takes for character animations in auto attacks, spells, etc. For instance, you can cancel auto attack animations after the point the bolt leaves the hero, as the rest is needless animation. This speeds up auto attacks and the ability to chase other heroes. I agree the game feels sluggish sometimes, i am unsure if this is intentional due to it being present in the original dota (been too many years for me to remember if dota felt like this), or just a beta problem.

#32 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:01

I've encountered that in a few matches, but not in others. Something you may be feeling (i'm not sure if this is present in HoN) is that there is a very precise amount of time it takes for character animations in auto attacks, spells, etc. For instance, you can cancel auto attack animations after the point the bolt leaves the hero, as the rest is needless animation. This speeds up auto attacks and the ability to chase other heroes. I agree the game feels sluggish sometimes, i am unsure if this is intentional due to it being present in the original dota (been too many years for me to remember if dota felt like this), or just a beta problem.

Animation cancelling is not the issue, rather it is the time it takes for the intial animation to start and attack to be carried out just seems very sluggish compared to HON. But yeah, based on what others have told me in the game, it seems to be intentional to slow down the game a bit. I cannot really tell if that is a good thing or bad when it comes to team fights where reaction times are crucial.

#33 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2011 - 19:48

Are there any tips for getting into the beta or can you only apply on their main page?

#34 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 29 December 2011 - 22:50

Are there any tips for getting into the beta or can you only apply on their main page?

Try this: http://dota2.com/login/auth/?goto=beta

EDIT: Actually, visit the Steam page for Dota 2 and click on the survey link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/570

#35 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:02

Try this: http://dota2.com/login/auth/?goto=beta

EDIT: Actually, visit the Steam page for Dota 2 and click on the survey link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/570

Its a bit annoying that the survey only asks for questions regarding DOTA and not MOBA's in general. The only general question it even asks is how much you have played Action RTS's. I feel it would be more useful to know what backgrounds your playerbase has (DOTA, LoL, HoN, RotA, BC, etc).

#36 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 30 December 2011 - 13:16

Its a bit annoying that the survey only asks for questions regarding DOTA and not MOBA's in general. The only general question it even asks is how much you have played Action RTS's. I feel it would be more useful to know what backgrounds your playerbase has (DOTA, LoL, HoN, RotA, BC, etc).

Well fill it out truthfully anyway. You'd be surprised with the number of people I have played with in matchmaking that are completely clueless on how to play even the most basic heroes or understand the general game mechanics.

#37 Arthax

Arthax

iNeowinian

Posted 30 December 2011 - 14:14

That shopkeeper looks like such a sleazy greasebag *******.

#38 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 December 2011 - 15:58

Thanks to Steam Winter Achievements I've been playing some Rise of Immortals and almost starting to get hooked on it. And I'm lead to believe these two games are somewhat similar. But I'm a complete noob to this genre, not sure I'm going to get in. Be nice though.

#39 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 December 2011 - 17:05

Thanks to Steam Winter Achievements I've been playing some Rise of Immortals and almost starting to get hooked on it. And I'm lead to believe these two games are somewhat similar. But I'm a complete noob to this genre, not sure I'm going to get in. Be nice though.

Their genre is really the only similarity. I thought the same thing at first too, but they're not all that similar -- it'd be like comparing Rise of Nations to Command & Conquer.

#40 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 18:48

They want information that would help them improve Dota 2. If they were to include complex questions for other competing action RTS games, then I doubt they'd get any useful information. And by useful information, I mean information that would help in hero balancing, hero design, etc. I would have liked to see a simple question that asked if you've played any of the competing games though.

That's the main reason I decided to play the Dota 2 beta. I had a lot of fun playing Rise of Immortals and it reminded me of how much fun I had in the original Dota. They're similar but only in the most basic sense.

#41 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 December 2011 - 18:51

I too have only played Rise of Immortals since I didn't want to spend $40 in an outdated game just to get DoTA :/ Is there a more similar game to it than ROI e.g. Starcraft 2 map for it?

#42 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 18:53

I too have only played Rise of Immortals since I didn't want to spend $40 in an outdated game just to get DoTA :/ Is there a more similar game to it than ROI e.g. Starcraft 2 map for it?

There's an upcoming custom game for StarCraft 2 called Blizzard DOTA: http://us.battle.net...-mods/mods/dota

#43 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 30 December 2011 - 19:04

Dota 2 is going to have a hard time making its way into the Moba market. A lot of people are pretty invested, money wise, into both HoN and LoL, and I don't see them moving onto Dota 2 without there being something just really amazing and unique to it. But if there is anyone to do it, it's Valve.

#44 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 20:39

Dota 2 is going to have a hard time making its way into the Moba market. A lot of people are pretty invested, money wise, into both HoN and LoL, and I don't see them moving onto Dota 2 without there being something just really amazing and unique to it. But if there is anyone to do it, it's Valve.

I think it has a lot of potential. For one, it's the best looking game in its genre. Valve seems to have done a lot of work to improve the Source engine in terms of image quality. Also, Dota 2 has an aesthetically-pleasing art direction that looks consistent. Everything from the heroes to the creep fits in well with the game. And it's also building upon the original DotA formula which has remained popular in various forms since 2003. Finally, Valve is known for their quality games and I don't think Dota 2 will be an exception to that. Personally, I've grown to dislike Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends (to an extent) but I'm really looking forward to Dota 2.

#45 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 30 December 2011 - 20:42

Too bad DOTA2 can't fix one thing that's common to all MOBA games; the playerbase should be taken outside and keelhauled a few times.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!