How to view geotagged photos on the Galaxy S II or any other Android device

I currently have an iPhone 4 at the moment. I'm thinking of picking up a SGS 2. The latest iOS 5 beta have a map feature which shows where all of the geotagged photos are taken. Does the SGS 2 have something like that? If not, how does one view or enjoy geotagged photos on the SGS 2?

Go to the native camera app and click the settings icon (nut icon). There should be an option for "GPS tag" near the bottom of the list, though it might vary depending on firmware.

Obviously, you will need to have GPS turned on and will get a better location data if you have wifi access as well. Though it will drastically reduce your battery life on top of the regular camera use, even moreso if the pics require flash. Just keep that in mind so you the phone doesn't die half way through the day.

I know you can take them, but not sure how to view them yet. I'm sure there's an app for it, but if someone knows i'd be interested.

Also, is there any way to remove the geo-tag?

Good choice on the move to Android too btw. (Y)

Go to the native camera app and click the settings icon (nut icon). There should be an option for "GPS tag" near the bottom of the list, though it might vary depending on firmware.

Obviously, you will need to have GPS turned on and will get a better location data if you have wifi access as well. Though it will drastically reduce your battery life on top of the regular camera use, even moreso if the pics require flash. Just keep that in mind so you the phone doesn't die half way through the day.

Can you take a screenshot of that? I want to see that the photos are indeed pinned to Google Maps on Android.

Can you take a screenshot of that? I want to see that the photos are indeed pinned to Google Maps on Android.

Lol I feel stupid now. I misread your post. :unsure:

Have you tried searching in the Android Market? I am sure that there are at least a few geotagging apps on there that might have that mapping function. But it seems that the current method relies on uploading your photos elsewhere, which is why I suggest just to use Picasa for uploading and then try accessing those photos through google maps or earth with the My Places folders. Since the phone adds in the geotagging info, it should map it out once you select the photos to show.

And no, I haven't tried this method either. You just got me curious enough to look into the topic because I just got the SGS2 last week and still trying to figure out everything it can and cannot do. Hoping to root it this weekend to unlock its true potential.

Lol I feel stupid now. I misread your post. :unsure:

Have you tried searching in the Android Market? I am sure that there are at least a few geotagging apps on there that might have that mapping function. But it seems that the current method relies on uploading your photos elsewhere, which is why I suggest just to use Picasa for uploading and then try accessing those photos through google maps or earth with the My Places folders. Since the phone adds in the geotagging info, it should map it out once you select the photos to show.

And no, I haven't tried this method either. You just got me curious enough to look into the topic because I just got the SGS2 last week and still trying to figure out everything it can and cannot do. Hoping to root it this weekend to unlock its true potential.

So you can't view the geotagged photos on the phone at all without some sort of third party software?

So you can't view the geotagged photos on the phone at all without some sort of third party software?

This functionality hasn't been added into android yet. So until then, this just seems like the only. What works best is up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go in to the settings section while looking at the photo then choose More, you can then select 'Show in map' not great but does show the location of the individual photo.

606095896.png