Photo

Router as Bridge

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lawtai

lawtai

Neowinian Old Timer

Posted 05 September 2011 - 20:11

I have a Netgear Wireless router (WNR3500L) which is connected to my cable modem and is acting as the main router in my house. I have a WRT54G v2.2 router which I've flashed to Tomato vs 1.28.

I'm trying to figure out how to set up the Linksys router as a bridge? The main thing that's confusing me is the security password. On my main router, since it's wireless N, I have it set to use WPA2-PSK[AES]. However, since my router is only a G router, it complains when I try to use WPA2 as the security key that it only allows WPA2 when using as an access point and not when being used as a Wireless Ethernet Bridge.

I set the Linksys to an IP of 192.168.1.10, but I'm not sure if that's supposed to show up on my Netgear router as a connected device?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 OP lawtai

lawtai

Neowinian Old Timer

Posted 05 September 2011 - 20:25

Actually, if I turn off security, it works....

#3 OP lawtai

lawtai

Neowinian Old Timer

Posted 05 September 2011 - 21:15

So I solved the issue by setting my N router to use WPA/WPA2 for security and on my bridge routers, using WPA to log in. I think this allows me to still have the Wireless-N capability.

#4 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 17:41

It might - depends on the client connecting if it sees the WPA first then it might only connect as G mode.

But just the fact that your connecting G into your N network is going to SLOW it down, even if clients are connected as N. Wireless is SHARED -- your slowest client is going to slow down all other clients, since only 1 actual client can bet talking at any one time.

If you want to extend your wireless?? Just use your G router as accesspoint wired to your N router, this will allow you to create 2 different wireless networks one for your N clients that connect to your N router, and allow for wired and wireless clients in the area of the G router to connect at G speeds or wire, etc. While all your clients are still on the same network.

#5 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 September 2011 - 17:45

I'm guessing you are trying to do WDS or something? I think only WEP can work for WDS.

If you just want to make it a bridge then do Client Bridge setup instead and you can plug devices itno the LAN ports and they'll connect over WiFi.

#6 OP lawtai

lawtai

Neowinian Old Timer

Posted 08 September 2011 - 19:05

Yea, I was doing what Shotta35 said. I have it set up now so that I'm using the routers as bridges so I can plug in non wireless devices into the routers and it'll connect to the internet over Wifi.