Hard Reset (PC exclusive FPS)

e061pk.png

Developer: Flying Wild Hog

Publisher: Flying Wild Hog

Engine: Road Hog Engine

Platform: Microsoft Windows

Release Date: September 13, 2011

Description:

Hard Reset is a PC-exclusive FPS from The Flying Wild Hog, a Polish developer that is made up from members of the team behind Bulletstorm (from People Can Fly), and former developers from CD Projekt Red and City Interactive.

In development since April 2009, the game will feature a cyberpunk plot. It draws inspiration from William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, and Philip K. Dick (especially Blade Runner in story). In gameplay, Serious Sam is the main inspirations; explosive barrels and large hordes of enemies will be prominent within the game. There will be no multiplayer. [Source]

Features:

• A haunting cyberpunk / dark sci-fi setting
  • Fast-paced, old-school shooter gameplay
  • Hordes of enemies to destroy
  • Epic boss fights
  • A deep, experience-based weapon upgrade system
  • High-fidelity graphics with full dynamic lighting
  • Extensive use of physics and dynamic environments

Story:

The world as we know it ceased to exist. Humanity is at the verge of extinction, living in the last closed city of Bezoar. Mankind wages war against the machines controlling vast areas of what became the 'Barrens'. Machines want to control and assimilate 'The Sanctuary' a network that holds billions of digitalized human minds. Our hero, Maj. Fletcher, is a soldier of CLN - a corporation combat unit, established to protect the city. Machines are constantly assaulting the walls of Bezoar. Fletcher moves in when Bezoar's protective barrier is breached. [Source]

Links:

Demo:

System requirements:

Minimum:
  • Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64
  • Memory: 2 GB
  • Hard Disk Space: 4 GB free hard drive space
  • Video Card: 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better
  • DirectX?: DirectX 9.0c
  • Sound: DirectX Compatible

Recommended:

• Processor: Intel Quad Core 2.3 GHz / AMD Phenom II x4 2.5 GHz
  • Memory: 3 GB
  • Hard Disk Space: 4 GB free hard drive space
  • Video Card: 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT / ATI Radeon HD 4870 or better
  • DirectX?: DirectX 9.0c
  • Sound: DirectX Compatible

Screenshots:

636549_20110803_screen003.jpg

636549_20110803_screen004.jpg

636549_20110829_screen003.jpg

636549_20110829_screen004.jpg

Videos:

The demo is available on Steam, GamersHell, and GameFront.

Really? I would have guessed UE3 as that's what the video and screens instantly reminded me of.

It looks nothing like UE3 if you play it. Textures look way, WAY better, as does the lighting. :)

Saw this game mentioned a few times before PAX, didn't know it was out as soon as Sept 13th! Definitely buying this.

Engine does look a bit UE3ish, could it be a heavily modified version of it?

Saw this game mentioned a few times before PAX, didn't know it was out as soon as Sept 13th! Definitely buying this.

Engine does look a bit UE3ish, could it be a heavily modified version of it?

Nope, it's a custom made engine they did themselves. They built it from the ground up specifically for PC because they felt current engines were to PC-limited in some respects.

Nope, it's a custom made engine they did themselves. They built it from the ground up specifically for PC because they felt current engines were to PC-limited in some respects.

Yet they kept it dx 9.0C?

There was a QL on GiantBomb on this. Looked ok.

I'll grab is soon as there's a good deal.

I remember the menu mechanics/system being really great. Very seamless ingame.

From the Hard Reset Q&A at GameSpot:

Michal Szustak: For a new studio it's always easier to make a single-platform game, and we really wanted to create and use our own tech. Our engine was built with one thought--to be used in a first-person shooter that uses lots of physics and destruction, with outstanding graphics and also optimized to do the job well. There are many games published on PCs that are just ports from consoles, and we all know that today the power of a current-gen console is similar to a four- to five-year-old PC.

If you want to show some amazing graphics, it's better and easier to develop the game for PCs. Also, in the era of movie-like shooters almost "on rails," with player-environment interaction as limited as possible, we wanted to create a game for old-school PC players, raised on all those forgotten Dooms, Quakes, and Painkillers.

EDIT: I just finished playing the demo and I think it's awesome. It was pretty short but the action was pretty intense. I really like the graphics, especially the destruction. The weapon upgrade system was great too. It's definitely worth it for $29.99.

just started playing it. really good fun and looks quite good. feels like Painkiller in the Blade Runner universe. no crouching, no iron sights, no recharing health - but there is a recharging shield. everything is picked up by walking over it. nice old school feel but looks very modern and plays sweet. i was surprised though that the menus didn't allow for any advanced graphics settings? everything seems to auto detect. i mean there's gotta be a config file somewhere but in-game there's nothing, a little surprising for a PC exclusive.

EDIT: well worth the $30, BTW.

just started playing it. really good fun and looks quite good. feels like Painkiller in the Blade Runner universe. no crouching, no iron sights, no recharing health - but there is a recharging shield. everything is picked up by walking over it. nice old school feel but looks very modern and plays sweet. i was surprised though that the menus didn't allow for any advanced graphics settings? everything seems to auto detect. i mean there's gotta be a config file somewhere but in-game there's nothing, a little surprising for a PC exclusive.

EDIT: well worth the $30, BTW.

What do you mean no advanced graphic settings? You can change pretty much everything from AA and AF to shadows and post processing effects etc. Pretty much what you'd expect from a PC only title, you can change every option (and I'm sure there is a config file to tweak also lol) through the menu (and thank god they added the fast menu option, though it's still not fast enough lol).

yes LOC you were right, all i had to do was scroll the page down...i can be quite dense sometimes, that's for sure.

It's ok, it happens to the best of us. Plus, blame it on console UI usage over the years :)

This game is breaking all the rules. I hear rumour there was a demo out before the game came out. I thought that was the stuff of dreams. I'm definitely going to check this out.

It's true. I played the demo before the game was released. I have a new-found respect for Flying Wild Hog. :)

LOC: indeed, spoiled by consoles, where video options means a brightness slider.

so far i really love this game, total Blade Runner tribute, and that's always good. i'd say just get it, anyone who wants to support gaming while enjoying themselves should try this. and thanks to LOC i can now play this with proper shadows and MLAA :laugh:

My Review

Graphics

Very impressive, especially the lighting. Smooth performance, nice textures, excellent animations.

Sound

I'd score is 6/10. What's there is absolute fine but there isn't a lot of variety.

Gameplay etc.

Only two main weapons (four if you inc. grenades) but with lots of upgrades for them throughout the game.

The game is basically: Enter area, door shuts behind you, kill everything in room before it will let you continue. - along the lines of Serious Sam.

It was repetative but luckily for itself, the game is quite short, about 6-8 hours.

No multiplayer and, to me, nothing to keep me going on to play the game again.

Score: 6/10

• 1 month later...

Patch 1.2:

What's new?

New Survival Mode. Two new maps are available: 'Arrival Hall' and 'Landing Pad'.

To launch Survival Mode, select 'New Game' and then 'Survival Mode'

Survival Mode is available in all the difficulty levels selectable for Hard Reset Campaign.

Added Leaderboards for the Survival Mode.

Full Nvidia 3dVision support.

Full Nvidia Surround support.

Support for multiple displays - recommended 3 display adapters for best effects, and several non-standard resolution modes.

To select the triple display mode in the game, change the Aspect Ratio to 'Other' in the Video Options menu, then select a resolution you wish to use.

Note that the 'Other' mode will be available only if you have 3 displays connected to your PC.

Added a 'Details' tab in the Profile screen - now you are able to check the score you achieved on each of the game's levels.

Source: Steam