5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm in Ireland at the moment and using an O2-IRL 3G dongle to connect my laptop to the internet. Now I want to share this connection to my SGS II as data roaming is expensive on my phone (O2-UK). I've created the ad-hoc network on my Mac using OSX Lion and made Internet Sharing active. My SGS II sees the Wi-Fi ad-hoc network, which I can select and and type in the password I assigned. Unfortunately, the phone just says Connecting, then Disconnected and constantly repeats this over and over but never actually connects. Any ideas. A quick Google comes saying that Android doesn't support ad-hoc networks, is this true? I'm running Gingerbread 2.3.4 on my SGS II. unsure.gif

Didn't think Android by default could work with Ad-HOC connections - CyanogenMod implemented this feature but with default Android it never worked. I don't know if Samsung did some stuff to help but before you couldn't even "see" ad-hoc networks.

Its weird. If I just create an ad-hoc network without assigning a connection my SGS II doesn't see the network at all. However, if I enable Internet Sharing first, then configure the ad-hoc network, the SGS II sees the network and tries to connect but fails.

I've done this before... Internet sharing using an ad-hoc wireless network from iOS (using MyWi), then connecting an Android devices to it (Including a Samsung Galaxy tab 7" - Android 2.2), if I recall correctly, I might have had to disable encryption to get it to work.

A better option would be to use a 3G Wireless Hotspot device. I suggest Droam, which is probably the most cost effective way to handle all of your data needs (Mac & SGSII) in Europe. There is also Hertz (The car rental company) in the UK & Tep Wireless

I don't think MiWi creates a Adhoc network but rather a Infrastructure (aka wireless router) which of-course devices will connect to just fine.

The Intel MyWiFi software does the samething in this regard too with supported wireless cards.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-031867.htm