found a lost iphone 4

So an older couple just handed me a like new iPhone 4 that they said they found somewhere, the phone is disabled, I'm looking to return it to its original owner.

Just a heads up, No, I'm not selling it nor keeping it. And I know if I wanted it for myself I can put it in recovery mode restore it and all that but no that's not what I want to do, my question Is the following...

Is there any known way possible to re-enable the phone without losing the info? So that I can see the owner's namecard or something to contact him and return it?

There are programs out there that will break the key lock code. however, if it is disabled there might be programs that will let you dump that data from it. If it was in a domain environment, then then system admin most likely wiped it. You could always call AT&T and give them the sim card info but they will most likely will want you to send them phone to them.. Mostly, it is a lost cause and will be very hard to find the owner if the phone is locked down..

I don't want to send it to at&t because someone will probably just slide it in their pocket and case closed, with these things can't really trust anybody.

at work i actually know an At&t representative and called her when the couple was here, and she acted a bit excited or surprised when i told her somebody found an iphone, so yeah i'd rather find a way to return it myself.

when i got the phone it was completely dead, so i might charge it full and let it sit there, maybe they have the "find my iphone" feature enabled, but then again i wouldn't want somebody to show up on my door steps thinking i stole it lol so i dont know what to do.

also when the older couple found it, it was still on, so the owner probably doesn't use the Find my iphone feature.

take the sim card to atnt or put it in your own phone or something. you will be able to get their number from that and there may be information o nteh sim a simple "mom" or "dad" contact will make it easy to return it to the owner. chances are the person is still using their phone number so maybe atnt can give you that number and you can call the person.

If I were you I would put up posters in the area where the phone was lost. Aside from anything else, if someone does come to claim the phone (whether through seeing your posters or using a "find my phone" application) you can say that you tried to return the item to them.

If no one comes to collect it, I guess you have a new phone to play with.

take the sim card to atnt or put it in your own phone or something. you will be able to get their number from that and there may be information o nteh sim a simple "mom" or "dad" contact will make it easy to return it to the owner. chances are the person is still using their phone number so maybe atnt can give you that number and you can call the person.

that sounded like a good idea, but it's a MicroSIM so can't really use another phone unless is another iphone 4.

i might just take it to the police station.

I just looked up the SN and is registered to apple with applecare and everything.

I just looked up the SN and is registered to apple with applecare and everything.

Then I would call Apple and give them your contact info so they can contact the buyer. I doubt they will give you the buyers info.

Call up whoever you would need to speak to if you had somehow locked your own iPhone and make out like it is yours, see if they give you any advice on how to go about unlocking or accessing it

that sounded like a good idea, but it's a MicroSIM so can't really use another phone unless is another iphone 4.

i might just take it to the police station.

Call apple care and explain the situation so you can get the owners number and name?

Call up whoever you would need to speak to if you had somehow locked your own iPhone and make out like it is yours, see if they give you any advice on how to go about unlocking or accessing it

Pretty sure you have to give more info than the S/N of the phone. Unless the website told him what the owners name was just by typing hte SN for Applecare.

Update,

So I plugged the phone to itunes as I remember it always shows the iPhone name that you choose, and boom! Got a name, also the owner have a picture as the background in the lockscreen so I looked up the name in Facebook and found it, same person in picture profile and name, so will send a message tonight so they can come pick it up.

Update,

So I plugged the phone to itunes as I remember it always shows the iPhone name that you choose, and boom! Got a name, also the owner have a picture as the background in the lockscreen so I looked up the name in Facebook and found it, same person in picture profile and name, so will send a message tonight so they can come pick it up.

Nice, :) Though not very private...unless the user didnt adjust his settings correcty

Nice, :) Though not very private

I don't think they're reknown for privacy. :p

Handing into the police would've been the best bet personally. In fact, I think you still should, but now you can provide them a name of who's phone it is.