Photo

A few hints & tricks for build 8102

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#91 MrIgoe

MrIgoe

Neowinian

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:32

That was effortlessly easy, thank you very much!

I am very grateful.

#92 BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP

Neowinian

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:55

Okay so... I'm trying to personalize this metro UI since I'm giving it a real try. I removed what I dont need, moved most used apps to initial group, but would be nice to have a start menu without loosing all the new features.

Also, I'm having a small headache with Remote Desktop Connection.
It seems that when I estabilish a connection to my server, I dont have the upper bar to close it... so Im kinda lost, either I close it with task manager, or gets suspended somewhere in memory :| any tips?

I had the same problem with RDP, what I do is disconnect from the remote pc by going to Start, then clicking the right arrow next to log off, then click disconnect, it automatically closes and returns to the selection screen.

#93 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:29

Wow, I just noticed how old this build actually is from the build string. No doubt the version they had in the keynote is probably whatever internal build they made a few days before the event.

#94 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 16 September 2011 - 13:24

Wow, I just noticed how old this build actually is from the build string. No doubt the version they had in the keynote is probably whatever internal build they made a few days before the event.

MS was careful this time not to show any build tags, but they showed "Windows-to-Go", it's definitely a new feature which is not present in 8102.

#95 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 16 September 2011 - 13:29

It's only two weeks old :p Though it's quite possible they didn't merge every branch and feature when they built this preview, whereas the builds they've running they probably do.

#96 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 16 September 2011 - 14:09

Scroll wheel lets you select which screen will be dragged from the left side of the screen while the thumbnail is visible.

#97 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 September 2011 - 14:24

Anyone got Office 2010 installed on 8102 ?

If you do, can you crop and resize a JPEG using Office Picture Manager, and save it, and see if it puts purple stripes right through the image ?

#98 tp2215

tp2215

Neowinian

Posted 16 September 2011 - 16:42

I just wanted to post a reply because I have seen it posted a few times around the forums that people cannot close the apps that are launched from Metro. I get a feeling that Microsoft is planning to control them similar to how Android does. That is they automatically kill themselves when the system requires the memory. So that way you can multi task and switch directly back to where you left off in the app. This is why people have developed task managers for android to kill these processes. Therefor, the new revamp of the task manager in Windows 8. Think about it.

#99 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 16 September 2011 - 17:49

I know it's only 2 weeks old but they tend to do new builds often, even if the build # doesn't change each time.

Anyways, it's clear that they used a newer one at the keynote because the tab grouping and naming feature isn't in the dev preview either. I think more people will start to like it once you get things like that going in the start screen. A better way to switch apps or a way to do alt+tab with touch is needed though, someone brought this up already, though flicking in from the left works when you have a few apps going it starts to take long when you have more open. It'd be nice if they added the new task switching that WP 7.5 brings, which is like what WebOS does.

#100 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 September 2011 - 18:09

Is there a much quicker way to shut down your PC? In Win7, all you do is tap the Windows key, move to the arrow key to the right and press enter (as it defaults to "Shut Down," although you can also have it do a restart.) It seems in Win8, I have to press the Start button, load up the charm menu, click on "Settings" and then go to "Power," and then pick "Shut Down" from the list. Doesn't seem very quick or elegant.

#101 svnO.o

svnO.o

Programmer & Web Developer

Posted 16 September 2011 - 18:17

Is there a much quicker way to shut down your PC? In Win7, all you do is tap the Windows key, move to the arrow key to the right and press enter (as it defaults to "Shut Down," although you can also have it do a restart.) It seems in Win8, I have to press the Start button, load up the charm menu, click on "Settings" and then go to "Power," and then pick "Shut Down" from the list. Doesn't seem very quick or elegant.

Alt + F4 on desktop or revert to classic menu.

#102 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 16 September 2011 - 18:18

Ctrl-Alt-Del, then you get the power button.

Another very fast way, make a batch file with the shut-down cmd, and pin to task bar or notification area, then it would be a one-click job. :laugh:

#103 Cesar D

Cesar D

Neowinian

Posted 16 September 2011 - 19:58

guys, there is an way to pin the desktop Internet Explorer to the start page? i liked the immersive one, but the lack of plug-ins kills it for me. I hope MS reconsider this, at least as an option.

#104 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 16 September 2011 - 21:08

guys, there is an way to pin the desktop Internet Explorer to the start page? i liked the immersive one, but the lack of plug-ins kills it for me. I hope MS reconsider this, at least as an option.

Go to Desktop, shift-right-click on IE in the task bar, select "Pin to Start"

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!