Acronis True Image_"Failed to lock volume snapshot"

Question

Using Acronis TI home 2009 (updated) in Vista x64 hm prem

Have used it to do images on this machine before, but... Tried selective BU (chose several partitions on one disk) - NOT whole disk BU. Error came back:

Operation with partition "D:" was terminated.

Details:

Unable to create volume snapshot (0x70021)

Tag = 0xA5695862AAF8E645

Failed to lock volume snapshot. (0x10C449)

Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AF36

Already locked (0x9)

code = E0000007)

Tag = 0xABF5B651C7D88E41

Couldn't find this exact err on Acronis or the web. Found generic suggestion on Acronis help to d/l their Acronis Report Tool, that gathers disk / partition info (copy is attached). Said if see "E's" (for error) under the C column in upper R of report, should run check disk & see if problem clears up / BU will then run. (Though Acronis' instructions for their report tool, didn't say what the "E" likely meant. Assume if they're suggesting run chkdsk, bad sectors).

Ran the report tool - file is attached. Also attached a report file from Ghost's Partition Info tool.

If someone knows the likely reason(s) for the Acronis listed errs / codes, & has suggestions, great. Otherwise (or also), those experienced in the report files from Acronis report tool, or Ghost's, please take a look - see if something obvious is wrong.

Acronis rpt shows "E's" under the "C" column on several partitions. Ran chkdsk / R on E:\ drive [vol. named Documents in the report]. Check disk didn't find errors on E:\. Then RE ran Report tool - to see if cleared up the "E" (error) for E:\ drive in the report - it didn't.

Also ran Ghost 15 "Partition Info tool" (do NOT have Ghost installed on same machine - just ran the tool). It shows all cyl / head info, and usually reports errors like overlapping partitions. Best can tell, no real probs like that.

Thanks.

Acronis report_9-14-11.txt

partinfo.txt

6 answers to this question

Volume Shadow Copy is a Windows service used by some software to backup the disk while it's in use. See Wikipedia.

The problem is likely with the service and nothing to do with Acronis. I don't know what would cause the service to fail, but two guesses are not enough free space, or another program was already using the service when Acronis was running.

Xinok, why did you suspect VSS as a likely culprit? Anything's possible, but there's nothing in the err msg that hint's at VSS & didn't get one hit on searching the web for my exact error msgs. If it was a common thing, there'd be more info about it, esp. w/ older software from 2009.

Xinok, why did you suspect VSS as a likely culprit? Anything's possible, but there's nothing in the err msg that hint's at VSS & didn't get one hit on searching the web for my exact error msgs. If it was a common thing, there'd be more info about it, esp. w/ older software from 2009.

Sorry, I read "volume snapshot" and thought it concerned Volume Shadow Copy.

Anyways, I'm not sure why you didn't find anything from searching the web. I got several hits:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=+site:forum.acronis.com+Unable+to+create+volume+snapshot+%280x70021%29

I'm not sure why you didn't find anything from searching the web. I got several hits:

Because if you look at those hits, vast majority aren't about same error / codes, or even same product (Acronis TI). Of couple that are, there are no solutions given.

I was able to complete a BU from Acronis boot disk. So, appears to either be a bug in pgrm, or possibly some prgm loaded on HDD that TI can't lock. I could start by closing the AV / FW (Kaspersky IS). Other than running BU from boot disk (which introduces hassle of it changing drive letters / partitions order, as shown in image file), could also try booting in Windows safe mode.

Not sure if TI will run in Windows safe mode. But, all this negates the convenience of running BUs w/o stopping everything - & booting from disk or in safe mode, to do a BU, unless I find the real cause of reported err & it's a simple fix. the concept of running automatic (or constant) BUs "while you work" w/ TI appears to be pure fantasy.

No you can run backups while you work it isn't fantasy, but there have been upgrades to ti. If you have support, they are quite good when you talk to them, maybe you should use it.

Thanks. No, my free support is up. If I had free support, I probably wouldn't be posting here. I'm glad you've had good experience w/ their tech support. I won't say most or even 50% of users that contact them don't get answers, but people who don't have probs don't contact tech support. Of (too many to count) forum questions I've read about diff issues - many answered by Acronis employees - plus my own experience when I did have free support, outcome wasn't good.

There didn't appear to be ONE Acronis article or forum post, about my exact errors / code, that had a good ANSWER & more instructions than, "try running chkdsk." There were a few posts about probs similar to mine - none w/ decent solutions.

I once sent 3 emails on what turned out to be simple question, during warr. Probably took 2 - 3 wks to hear back. Then, once they answered my question (actually, I found it 1st - who can wait 2 wks), for next 6 mo sent canned email EVERY week, asking if prob had been solved (I replied to 1st one, said "yes"). Yes, I did click, "remove me from this list." I've read many w/ same complaint about tech supp - "never replied," or "took weeks." Maybe it depends on when you contact them? If w/in 2 - 3 mo after a release, maybe it takes wks to hear back, if ever?

Look at their forum for TI - I've rarely seen so many unanswered questions (correctly) on developer or "official / unofficial" users forums - even for freeware.

If EVERYthing is perfect, w/ prgms like TI or Ghost (I've dealt w/ it too), live BUs may be possible. Now, I know these perform much diff tasks than avg software, so saying every other app will run on system ABC isn't an even comparison.

That said, due to these imaging prgms' exacting system standards, they should certainly have better documentation, better err msgs, better err & code DBs, where it's easy to find your EXACT error.