Creating hyperlink to documents on a server?

Question

Hi All,

This is probably a silly question but i have my flame suit on :p

If im working on a document that's stored on our office server and i want a colleague to proof read it, i would like to email him a link so when he clicks it, it opens his Microsoft Word, or Excel, or even Adobe Reader and lets him view the document. Saves him having to hunt around for the correct document on the server.

I know i can already to this by taking the path - \\SERVER2010\Network\Documents\ and then adding on the Filename.doc at the end to create - \SERVER2010\Network\Documents\Filename.doc (thats an example)

I know its lazy, but im looking for a program that will give me a direct link to a document instantly, so it saves me copy / pasting the path then copy / pasting the filename onto the end of the path.

A simple program that adds a option to the context menu when right clicking a file should do :)

Any suggestions guys?

Cheers

4 answers to this question

I think you want a Send To Extension called Clipboard (as Name). You right-click a file, choose Send To> Clipboard as Name, and you can set it to include the full path as part of what it sends to the clipboard. I love this tool.

Not where I got it the last time, but here is a link: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/sendtotoys.html

Thanks for the reminder, I had realized that it wasn't installed on my new work laptop.

Edited by chadlachlanross

I think you want a Send To Extension called Clipboard (as Name). You right-click a file, choose Send To> Clipboard as Name, and you can set it to include the full path as part of what it sends to the clipboard. I love this tool.

Not where I got it the last time, but here is a link: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/sendtotoys.html

Thanks for the reminder, I had realized that it wasn't installed on my new work laptop.

What a brilliant program, thank you very much indeed :)