Photo

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,882 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 23:50

The restaurant in Damman gives a whole new meaning to fine dining, with the amount customers are charged relating to the amount left on the plate - the bigger the 'waste' the more you will have cough up.

The reason for the fine is to cut down on wastage and to put visitors off from making extravagant orders,Gulf News reports.

Restaurant owner Fahad Al Anezi said the fines are necessary because 'there are many clients who make large orders to impress the people around them and boost their social prestige'.

Mr Al Anezi also added that the charges had had positive feedback since being imposed.

There is no mention however of what happens to the extra money they make from the penalties.

Marmar isn't the only eatery with seemingly drastic reactions to customers failing to finish their meals. The owner of Swedish restaurant Bamboo Mongolian BBQ kicked out some of his customers after spotting they left food on their plates.

Owner Henrik Cui said at the time: 'I don’t care if they have one plate or ten plates but I expect people to eat all their food and not to waste it. Sit here all day if you like but don’t throw away food.'

source

#2 Lexcyn

Lexcyn

Neowinian Senior

• 6,031 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 September 2011 - 00:06

There's a place in our city that does the same thing.

I don't see anything wrong with this.

#3 FireTalon

FireTalon

Neowinian

• 161 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 00:10

If I order and pay for it then **** you. Its mine to do as I want with it. If I want to order it and toss it in the trash, I bought it so **** off.

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,882 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 00:12

I seldom leave anything.

At a food bar, I get only what I like, and eat it all. :p

#5 FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

• 7,148 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 00:15

That means McDonald should hit obese customers! Posted Image

(Please, no offence intended!)

#6 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

• 1,780 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 00:18

Good idea in concept, less waste for landfills, less costs for the business etc. This might catch on because a lot of stuff goes to waste these days especially with places that just serves way to much food. It should then mean a reduction in the price of food at these places.

#7 Brian Miller

Brian Miller

Neowinian Senior

• 3,009 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 00:20

If I order and pay for it then **** you. Its mine to do as I want with it. If I want to order it and toss it in the trash, I bought it so **** off.

Tell that to Apple, Sony, Microsoft or any other company who's product you have fully paied for but are not permitted to "do with as you please".

Personally I'm glad they did this. Why should a restaurant spend time and money disposing of food you didn't want when there are so many hungry people in the world?

#8 mokthraka

mokthraka

Neowinian Senior

• 3,682 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 00:40

And its their restraunt. They own it and its theirs to do as they want. If they want to charge extra. The **** off

#9 Nayos

Nayos

Kor

• 623 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 00:54

Tell that to Apple, Sony, Microsoft or any other company who's product you have fully paid for but are not permitted to "do with as you please".

Personally I'm glad they did this. Why should a restaurant spend time and money disposing of food you didn't want when there are so many hungry people in the world?

Actually, you own the phone so you can do what you like with it. However, you only licence the software, and therefore aren't permitted to do certain things. In a restaurant, you are paying for the food, not a licence to eat the foot. It becomes your food, and you can do what you like with it.

And also, whether I leave food and bin it or force myself to over eat, there's still going to be people starving around the world, so don't try that "logic".

#10 Seetheworldsecond

Seetheworldsecond

SeeTheWorldSecond

• 1,629 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Note 2

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:04

Theres a Chinese buffet that does the same in hayward ca, they actually were shut down when they were investigated for washing the noodles with dirty mop water and soon reopened.
The food is weighted and this determines how much extra is charged.

#11 FireTalon

FireTalon

Neowinian

• 161 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:25

[quote name='Brian Miller' timestamp='1316391634' post='594321408']
Tell that to Apple, Sony, Microsoft or any other company who's product you have fully paied for but are not permitted to "do with as you please".

I do do with it "As I please"

#12 Edrick Smith

Edrick Smith

Neowinian Senior

• 3,199 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:47

So we got two problems here, food waste and too large proportions. You're taught as a kid not to waste food, yet we're facing huge weight problems.

I go out order a regular meal and go damn I can't believe there's so much food, yet at the same time you can bet that if the food amount decreased the price of the menu wouldn't so now we're paying more for less but helping with food waste and obesity.

#13 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:49

Nothing wrong with restuarants doing this.

#14 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,487 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:55

Yeah well, It's a good theory..

Tell me then, what happens if they under cook my fish or cook it in a way I find unpalatable.

The premise is offensive.

#15 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

• 6,156 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:55

It’s common here for sushi restaurants. I don’t know how you call them, sushi buffets, sushi bars, or sushi all-you-can-eat, but basically it’s a flat price of $20 per person and you get to order whatever you want a number of times. They charge about $1 per sushi left in the plate.

It’s not a bad thing IMO. In these all-you-can-eat places, there’s way too much food thrown away.