Saudi Arabian restaurant 'fines diners for leaving food'

The restaurant in Damman gives a whole new meaning to fine dining, with the amount customers are charged relating to the amount left on the plate - the bigger the 'waste' the more you will have cough up.

The reason for the fine is to cut down on wastage and to put visitors off from making extravagant orders,Gulf News reports.

Restaurant owner Fahad Al Anezi said the fines are necessary because 'there are many clients who make large orders to impress the people around them and boost their social prestige'.

Mr Al Anezi also added that the charges had had positive feedback since being imposed.

There is no mention however of what happens to the extra money they make from the penalties.

Marmar isn't the only eatery with seemingly drastic reactions to customers failing to finish their meals. The owner of Swedish restaurant Bamboo Mongolian BBQ kicked out some of his customers after spotting they left food on their plates.

Owner Henrik Cui said at the time: 'I don?t care if they have one plate or ten plates but I expect people to eat all their food and not to waste it. Sit here all day if you like but don?t throw away food.'

source

Good idea in concept, less waste for landfills, less costs for the business etc. This might catch on because a lot of stuff goes to waste these days especially with places that just serves way to much food. It should then mean a reduction in the price of food at these places.

If I order and pay for it then **** you. Its mine to do as I want with it. If I want to order it and toss it in the trash, I bought it so **** off.

Tell that to Apple, Sony, Microsoft or any other company who's product you have fully paied for but are not permitted to "do with as you please".

Personally I'm glad they did this. Why should a restaurant spend time and money disposing of food you didn't want when there are so many hungry people in the world?

If I order and pay for it then **** you. Its mine to do as I want with it. If I want to order it and toss it in the trash, I bought it so **** off.

And its their restraunt. They own it and its theirs to do as they want. If they want to charge extra. The **** off

Tell that to Apple, Sony, Microsoft or any other company who's product you have fully paid for but are not permitted to "do with as you please".

Personally I'm glad they did this. Why should a restaurant spend time and money disposing of food you didn't want when there are so many hungry people in the world?

Actually, you own the phone so you can do what you like with it. However, you only licence the software, and therefore aren't permitted to do certain things. In a restaurant, you are paying for the food, not a licence to eat the foot. It becomes your food, and you can do what you like with it.

And also, whether I leave food and bin it or force myself to over eat, there's still going to be people starving around the world, so don't try that "logic".

Theres a Chinese buffet that does the same in hayward ca, they actually were shut down when they were investigated for washing the noodles with dirty mop water and soon reopened.

The food is weighted and this determines how much extra is charged.

Tell that to Apple, Sony, Microsoft or any other company who's product you have fully paied for but are not permitted to "do with as you please".

I do do with it "As I please"

So we got two problems here, food waste and too large proportions. You're taught as a kid not to waste food, yet we're facing huge weight problems.

I go out order a regular meal and go damn I can't believe there's so much food, yet at the same time you can bet that if the food amount decreased the price of the menu wouldn't so now we're paying more for less but helping with food waste and obesity.

It?s common here for sushi restaurants. I don?t know how you call them, sushi buffets, sushi bars, or sushi all-you-can-eat, but basically it?s a flat price of $20 per person and you get to order whatever you want a number of times. They charge about $1 per sushi left in the plate.

It?s not a bad thing IMO. In these all-you-can-eat places, there?s way too much food thrown away.

It?s common here for sushi restaurants. I don?t know how you call them, sushi buffets, sushi bars, or sushi all-you-can-eat, but basically it?s a flat price of $20 per person and you get to order whatever you want a number of times. They charge about $1 per sushi left in the plate.

Usually it's a scare tactic than actual enforcement. I've had waitresses bring me the bill with >3 sushi rolls left on my plate, and they don't bother charging an extra $1.50 or $3 for the leftovers.

That said, I do agree with charging for extra food. Quite simple really - keeps food supplies in check, costs lower, and it stops people from being too greedy.

Agree. They could try to charge me all they what but there is no **** way in hell they would get it.

All you can eat/buffet places do this because it stops people from ordering everything on the menu and throwing it away. That makes sense. However, if I am paying for what I eat, and I can't eat the whole plate, then why should I be charged? I can do whatever I want with the food, yes it sounds terrible, but I paid for the dish. If at some point I feel sick or I don't like to eat the food, then I shouldn't be penalized for that. Simple logic.

Maybe bring a doggie bag :dog:

In all-you-can-eat places. Brilliant ! I?ll take the whole restaurant in my doggie bag. Go put it in the trunk of my car, you servant ! :)

Why is it called a doggie bag by the way? I thought it was just a random expression we were using in Quebec?

ummm last time I checked food was biodegradable........

Yes, but you?re missing the point. It has nothing to do with that.

Why is it called a doggie bag by the way? I thought it was just a random expression we were using in Quebec?

The idea behind it was to give leftovers to your dog(s).

In any case, most all you can eat's around here do that too.

My favorite is If a table leaves more than a "normal" plate worth of food, then you get charged an extra person.. ( of course they adjust that for large parties.. it's rare they enforce it at all, unless you leave almost a plate yourself, or you have a history of leaving a lot on your plate )