Error code 9996 in Windows Vista please help!

I am trying to update my BIOS for my HP Pavilion Model M8300F. I went to the download sections for drivers on HP's website. I download the firmware for the devices and also the BIOS. I make sure I quit all the running programs. I get this error code after trying to run the BIOS update:

System does not meet the requirements for this update (Code 9996). I am the Administrator for this computer and I had to format the computer and do a clean install on Windows Vista. I am not sure on how to fix this. I also tried to update the firmware for my optical devices and also my hard drive and I still get the same message. Please help.

Maybe you have the wrong update for your machine ?

Be very careful when updating the BIOS.

I found this:

ERROR 9996: VDS_E_ASSOCIATED_PORTALS_EXIST.This error is due to Portals are associated with the specified portal group and must first be deassociated before the portal group can be deleted. .The source of the error code is COM/OLE Interface management.

This is without even checking, but I recall that HP may still have some ancient BIOS flashers that only run under Windows XP. If this is the case, you'll have to get one of their DOS-mode flashers, and make a bootable USB (or floppy, if you have it) drive to run it.

I would try that either way, actually, regardless of OS compatibility.

I show the bios dated 2008-08-04, your just now trying to update the latter part of 2011.. 3 years later?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-63120-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3644702&sw_lang=

This is what your downloaded? I would assume with vista you have UAC enabled, did you run the exe you downloaded elevated?