Drive (2011)

Drive is the best film of 2011 out of the 30 total films i have seen this year so far. i don't see it being beat at this point. (but it does seem like people can be qutie divided on IMDB as many say it's great like me but you sometimes see people saying it sucked etc etc but i think those people don't get into the great atmosphere of the film which is where the film stands out and creates a entertaining film at the end of the day)

but keep in mind a lot of where Drive shines is the atmosphere it creates so if you don't get into that area of the film it might fail for you. it also has a great soundtrack which further assists the mood/tone/atmosphere of the film. basically... don't go into it expecting a straight up action film as you will be disappointed but as i was saying below view the video clips of the film on the official site as those give you a much better idea on what to expect from the film than the trailer does. in fact, what got me interested in the film in the first place, to the point i my gut feeling was saying 'one of the best of the year' was the 'Getaway' clip as i could just tell from that clip alone (and some others) that the film was going to stand out)

there is also not alot of dialog from the main character (i.e. Gosling's character) as he mostly tells you what he's thinking from facial expressions.

i would strongly recommend people view the clips of the film on the official site as that gives you a much better idea of what to expect from the film vs the trailer as the trailer for the film makes it look like your standard action film and it's definitely not.

i seen it on the 16th @ 11:35am as that was the first showing in my area and what was even better is the ticket price was only $4 which was a steal for how great the film was.

p.s. here is how i expect my Top 4 films to look like after all is said and done for 2011, which will be my 'stand out' films of the year,...

1.Drive

2.In Time (Oct 28th)

-.Source Code (my current #2 film of 2011)

4.Mission Impossible 4 (Dec 21st)

some people will probably laugh at me expecting 'In Time' to be good as soon as they see Justin Timberlake as the lead actor but it's the director that just about guarantee's a quality film as he's not failed me yet on the 3 films he's done in the past which are.... Gattaca/S1m0ne/Lord of War. Lord of War is one of my all time favorite films to. and also, the director (Andrew Niccol) said In Time is sort of like 'Gattaca Revisited'.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Drive" has a very strange progression of events which I found annoying. Could have been much better if there was a a bit of logic behind some of the action scenes. It felt more like "A History of Violence" wannabe.

Drive was a horrible pile of ****. "Hey, I'm not a psychopath... I just rarely say more than 3 words at a time, in the span of a minute... Oh, and I'll just beat a guy into a bloody mess for ****s and giggles...". I'd rather have watched Drive Angry again with Nick Cage than have seen 20 minutes of this....

1/10 for me for the 2nd 'hope-I-change-my-mind' viewing. Should be 0/10 actually. The reason is the chick. She's cute. (acutally she has more emotion and dialogue than the main character). . The main character does not have a name, emotion or dialogue. Love how the camera is setup for a dramatic close up shot to Gosling's face and then it's like looking at a plank of wood. The same emotion throughout the entire movie.The movie gives the audience nothing to root for. I understand what the director is trying to accomplish, but imho, it's just doesn't work. The pace of the whole film is very .. extremely slow. It keeps dragging and on and on. Thank goodness that this was not nominated for an Oscar. The movie was more of a waste of time, and I'd rather watch paint dry. Not ever watching this again.

1/10 for me for the 2nd 'hope-I-change-my-mind' viewing. Should be 0/10 actually. The reason is the chick. She's cute. (acutally she has more emotion and dialogue than the main character). . The main character does not have a name, emotion or dialogue. Love how the camera is setup for a dramatic close up shot to Gosling's face and then it's like looking at a plank of wood. The same emotion throughout the entire movie.The movie gives the audience nothing to root for. I understand what the director is trying to accomplish, but imho, it's just doesn't work. The pace of the whole film is very .. extremely slow. It keeps dragging and on and on. Thank goodness that this was not nominated for an Oscar. The movie was more of a waste of time, and I'd rather watch paint dry. Not ever watching this again.

I kept making jokes to my girlffriend like. "this is my happy... this is me sad... this is me kicking your face in..." There was no acting range besides "wooden" for the main character. No wonder Nic Cage movies do so well, if this is the type of crap that can be considered a good movie :p

I kept making jokes to my girlffriend like. "this is my happy... this is me sad... this is me kicking your face in..." There was no acting range besides "wooden" for the main character. No wonder Nic Cage movies do so well, if this is the type of crap that can be considered a good movie :p

LOL. That's what I've been trying to say. The lead character trying to portray a 'hero' should have the audience rooting for him till the end. I was looking at the trailer for 'Drive', and that was actually quite amazing. That looked awesome. The movie is something else entirely.

Saw it a couple of months ago, 10/10. Wish I had the opportunity to see it in cinema, as I think that would've left even better impression.

EDIT:

I have no idea why, but I clicked on the youtube link. To quote the guy from the top comments secion:

"Holy **** I am SO GLAD I DID NOT WATCH THIS TRAILER BEFORE SEEING THE? MOVIE"

That is the worst trailer in the history of everything.

I thought this movie sucked. I could almost not finish it. I was hoping for something to happen. It dragged on. I just did not get it at all.

That's what I thought when I saw it for the first time. Infact imo, the Trailer was better than the movie itself.

Full review: http://richardmccord...ews/drive-2011/

I absolutely hated this movie. It had a great deal of potential, but instead of giving us

substance, they just fill most of the time with empty, pointless silence.

It wasn't worth the drive to the theatre.

Same here, just didn't like it.

• 7 months later...

Just saw this, Agreed with plot holes, but enjoyable movie to be honest... Liked:

1. Shotgun to the head

2. Shivering whilst talking on the phone

3. head bashing in elavator.

Agree that he doesn't say much, but the emotion he transmits when he's beating people up, kinda gets to you :unsure:

edit: the soundtrack is amazing too!

• 1 month later...