Here is my hardcore 60 Wizard: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nickerbocker-1619/hero/35630324

I'm at the edge of Torment I.  Taking it easy and trying hard not to die before the expansion.  I've been farming the first few areas of Act I up to the first part of "Shattered Crown".  At that point the elites get hard enough for me to be concerned and I wuss out and start over.  (One pack of elites is manageable, but there is always the chance of hitting 2 at once...)

Really been enjoying the patch, though!  Overall I really like all of the changes.  The only thing that kinda irks me is that playing at 60 right now feels like you are not at the top level...

Also, I agree with some people's assessments that Diablo 3 is a game "full of mulligans."  I think that is the reason why I only like to play on hardcore mode.  Death sucks, but at least I have enough Blacksmith plans to reforge most of my gear for a level 60 newling.  That, and you don't lose your paragon levels.

Folks playing the ROS beta are now free to talk about it (NDA lifted).  Looks like Torment I on level 70 is a very similar "gear wall" for hardcore players as Infernal initially was before the patches and nerfing.  So that should be a challenge to look forward to.

ROFL, you have a female DH named Chlamydia. I love the Avatar-based names too. (Y)

I tried the new patch over the weekend, and I have to say the loot is much, much better now. It definitely makes the game more fun/rewarding to play through.

However, there are still fundamental problems with the skill system that a loot engine change can't really fix. I never liked the fact that magic based classes can use normal weapons just as well as they can use wands and staves. Doesn't really make sense, lore wise. And my #1 issue is that Monks don't use their weapons in most of their attack animations. I love the Monk class, but I absolutely hate the fact that every time you attack, your weapons instantly go from in your hands to their holstered position and back again. I played through the entire game as a monk, and it always bothered me.

Also, when did they reset achievements? I beat the game twice, yet all of my boss achievements and some other story-based achievements were relocked when I started up again this weekend. Was this part of 2.0.1 or a previous patch?

ROFL, you have a female DH named Chlamydia. I love the Avatar-based names too. (Y)

Thanks :). Avatar is kind of an obsession of mine.  Most all my WoW character are named Avatar characters too.  My dogs are named Kyoshi and Tsuki.

I am enjoying the thanges that were made in the most recent patch and i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Expansion set however, i am a bit concerned about how easy it is to get Legendary items now. It almost feels like Rarity titles dont mean anything anymore. its like Uncommons are trash, rares are just standard items and you get a few legendary items per act and you run a few acts and have a full set.

Thanks :). Avatar is kind of an obsession of mine.  Most all my WoW character are named Avatar characters too.  My dogs are named Kyoshi and Tsuki.

Without looking at the picture and just reading the posts, I thought you meant the Pocahontas Avatar. I was going to ask what was wrong with you.

I am enjoying the thanges that were made in the most recent patch and i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Expansion set however, i am a bit concerned about how easy it is to get Legendary items now. It almost feels like Rarity titles dont mean anything anymore. its like Uncommons are trash, rares are just standard items and you get a few legendary items per act and you run a few acts and have a full set.

Gotta remember you essentially can't trade legendaries anymore, plus items drop most often to match the class you are playing, so 1 legendary you find on say a Wizard is going to have Wizard stats, making it much less useful for your Barbarian. Legendaries do drop quite often compared to previously, but the fact you can't easily trade for a legendary that fits your character and you can't even share legendaries that each character finds with your other characters (just generally speaking), means few of the legendaries you find will be a major benefit to your current character.

I've been playing the new patch with my nephews (new characters and all) and I gotta say the drop system is considerably better than it used to be. I can actually find upgrades while leveling without farming an area a few times, I've been playing on Expert mostly (drops don't improve but you get more experience/gold and a harder challenge) but I feel the gear has been mostly keeping up with my character without having to jump on the AH and buy an OP weapon for my level.

That's an important thing to note too, difficulty doesn't affect drop rates (except Torment difficulty) or quality of drops, so the ONLY benefit of turning difficulty above normal is more experience per kill (which isn't that noticeable if you are killing quite a bit slower) and gold (again not noticeable based on kill speed) which is kind of wonderful, I think I'm going to turn difficulty down next time I play so it's more stress-free (I didn't know about it not affecting drops before today).

As stated, it's a bit different for Torment difficulty, each tier of Torment increases legendary drop rates (by a currently unknown amount), but doesn't affect rare drop rates or quality of any drops. The only other benefit of running higher than normal difficulty is you can probably hit 60 with a single play-through of the quests, I hit level 25 or by the time I finished Act 1 on Expert difficulty.

I'm with you on some of your points.  I think that Loot 2.0 is a bit too aggressive.  I think that eliminating the chance of a piece dropping with two primary stats (i.e., +dex and +str helps no one), was a good move but I wouldn't mind more variety of drops.  I like it when I find a badass barbarian item when I'm playing my Wizard.  Gives me some motivation to level up another Barbarian to use it.

Just because different colored items are dropping left and right, does not necessarily mean that the game is easy.  After grinding my hardcore level 60 char on Normal mode twice and being primarily in level 60 legendaries and set pieces, I'm still undergeared for Torment I (for hardcore mode anyway).  There are +ability stats affixed to some piece that add an extra layer of item complexity that I am really enjoying.  For instance, I rolled a bracer set piece item with +20% arcane damage which has nice synergy with my +10% disintegrate helm, etc.  For awhile I had two +10% ray of frost pieces and a ring (I think) that made ray of frost go through mobs (essentially making it more like disintegrate but with freezing power).

Seems like stats + skill synergy is what is needed for the upper difficulties.  So, yeah, you get on your browns and greens quickly since 2.0... but it will still take a bit of grinding to get all your stars to line up.  Difference now is that we can enjoy the cool proc effects of the legendaries we currently have while we grind away for the legendaries we actually need.

Without looking at the picture and just reading the posts, I thought you meant the Pocahontas Avatar. I was going to ask what was wrong with you.

Hahahaha...oh hell no.

A friend and I started a "Hardcore" clan called "Don't Die Dude" or DDD for short.  No intention on adding too many people, but looking to grow to probably 10 - 15 active players.  Clan focus will be on climbing the Torment "ladder" on hardcore difficulty.

Let me know if you are interested via a PM.  Thanks.

US based, btw.

Was going to pre-purchase this, but decided to hold off.  I've pre-ordered it for PS4 so will just play it then.  Haven't played D3 in months, may have to re-install and get it all patched up and see if there is any major changes.

Was going to pre-purchase this, but decided to hold off.  I've pre-ordered it for PS4 so will just play it then.  Haven't played D3 in months, may have to re-install and get it all patched up and see if there is any major changes.

The changes are pretty significant in terms of difficulty scaling and item drops.  Gameplay hasn't changed significantly (other than skills being adjusted and revamped).  Its worth checking out if you already own it.

Has the PS4 version release date been announced yet?

As stated, it's a bit different for Torment difficulty, each tier of Torment increases legendary drop rates (by a currently unknown amount), but doesn't affect rare drop rates or quality of any drops. The only other benefit of running higher than normal difficulty is you can probably hit 60 with a single play-through of the quests, I hit level 25 or by the time I finished Act 1 on Expert difficulty.

Not quite correct. Each level of Torment gives you a flat amount of magic find. Magic find applies 100% of to magic items, 30% to rares, and 10% to legendaries. Magic find absolutely affects your chance to find rares and legendaires, but as you said it does not affect the quality of those drops.

The changes are pretty significant in terms of difficulty scaling and item drops.  Gameplay hasn't changed significantly (other than skills being adjusted and revamped).  Its worth checking out if you already own it.

Has the PS4 version release date been announced yet?

Don't think it has been announced.  Was on the future shop site a couple months ago checking if there had been dates set for the other games I had pre-ordered, and saw it was there for pre-order.

I've owned D3 since before it came out (did the WoW pre-order thing (get the mount + MOP Beta + D3)).  Beat it within a week of getting it, then just played it for random fun after.. though the enjoyment started weaning. 

Not quite correct. Each level of Torment gives you a flat amount of magic find. Magic find applies 100% of to magic items, 30% to rares, and 10% to legendaries. Magic find absolutely affects your chance to find rares and legendaires, but as you said it does not affect the quality of those drops.

The language in the description of Torment specifies "New legendary recipes can drop in this difficulty" and "New legendary items can drop in this difficulty."  Your magic find is increased, but I think that there are also items that can only drop in Torment difficulty.

Additionally, I've noticed that I get some rare drops that have roll chances up to 329 on some primary stats while playing Torment.  It seemed like all the rare drops I saw in the difficulties prior to Torment peaked at about 219.  Or was it 249?  In any case it was lower.  This could just be "chance" and my observation was based on the higher magic find and other-than-that nothing to do with being on Torment.  Not sure.

Don't think it has been announced.  Was on the future shop site a couple months ago checking if there had been dates set for the other games I had pre-ordered, and saw it was there for pre-order.

I've owned D3 since before it came out (did the WoW pre-order thing (get the mount + MOP Beta + D3)).  Beat it within a week of getting it, then just played it for random fun after.. though the enjoyment started weaning. 

Well, at least now you can play through I think on Expert or Master and be mostly leveled to 60 on a new character by the time you get to Diablo.  That is a nice change, because playing through the game 4 times just to be at the top level and "really start to play the game" was really annoying.

Overall there is limited gameplay here for most folks.  I enjoy climbing the difficulty ladder and getting the loot in order to achieve that goal...but I don't enjoy grinding for gear just for the sake of having gear.

Well, at least now you can play through I think on Expert or Master and be mostly leveled to 60 on a new character by the time you get to Diablo.  That is a nice change, because playing through the game 4 times just to be at the top level and "really start to play the game" was really annoying.

Overall there is limited gameplay here for most folks.  I enjoy climbing the difficulty ladder and getting the loot in order to achieve that goal...but I don't enjoy grinding for gear just for the sake of having gear.

Yea I think my monk was like level 36 the first time I beat the game, then it was just going through and replaying on a harder difficulty for something to do.

Imo, the biggest problem I had was that the game was over way too fast.. and by the end of it.. the story didn't really make a tonne of sense.. other than you had to get the crystals (I think).

My bad, I was just going off info I could get out of the general chat.......at the very least, if you're farming for items and can't handle Torment I, then normal will be the most efficient difficulty to farm as the pre-Torment difficulties do not affect drop rates.

Yea I think my monk was like level 36 the first time I beat the game, then it was just going through and replaying on a harder difficulty for something to do.

Imo, the biggest problem I had was that the game was over way too fast.. and by the end of it.. the story didn't really make a tonne of sense.. other than you had to get the crystals (I think).

It wasn't a very interesting story, but this is an ARPG we are talking about here.  I can probably summarize it for you (as I understand it):

Adrianna was Cain's witch sister who had a daughter, Leah.  You re-unite Leah with her mother in Act 2.  Once reunited, Adrianna convinces you and Leah to capture Belial and Azmodan in the dark soul stone that you recover from that wizard, nephalem guy.  At the end of Act 3 after you capture Azmodan in the dark soul stone, the dark soul stone consume Leah who then becomes Diablo.  There are some references made in conversations with Leah that she does not know who her real father is.  Well, guess who her real father probably was?  Adrianna was using you and Leah the entire time.  This was foreshadowed in Act 2 when Leah says that she can't believe her mother is still alive and your character warns her that she doesn't really know who her mother is.

yeah the story is not very complex and i wish there were more lore bits and conversations with random NPC's than there are but i still like it.

The language in the description of Torment specifies "New legendary recipes can drop in this difficulty" and "New legendary items can drop in this difficulty."  Your magic find is increased, but I think that there are also items that can only drop in Torment difficulty.

Additionally, I've noticed that I get some rare drops that have roll chances up to 329 on some primary stats while playing Torment.  It seemed like all the rare drops I saw in the difficulties prior to Torment peaked at about 219.  Or was it 249?  In any case it was lower.  This could just be "chance" and my observation was based on the higher magic find and other-than-that nothing to do with being on Torment.  Not sure.

You're right. There are definitely items that only drop in Torment. This I know for sure. However, I could have sworn I read that the difficulty doesn't affect item quality, but you may be right. I certainly have played enough to know for sure one way or the other. It would be nice if Blizzard gave us a direct answer to this though.

I played some more last night on a new Barb, and I'm having fun with it. I found this guy in Act I around level 22. The proc rate is high enough that with Frenzy the champion is almost always up. No idea how much he helps though. It's a fun affect none the less.

I don't think that better items drop between Normal -> Master.  If all that you are interested in is farming for items on a difficulty less than Torment, might as well go with Normal.

Told myself I'll never touch this game, but couldn't pass adding it to my collection for only 19.99.

Maybe some day I'll actually play it.

Why did you tell yourself you'd never touch the game if you've never played it? That seems kind of odd to me.

If you just had no interest in the game that's one thing but if you're going by all the haters out there saying the game is trash that's different. I actually like the game more than PoE and that was before the new loot systems and paragon levels.

• Like 2

Why did you tell yourself you'd never touch the game if you've never played it? That seems kind of odd to me.

If you just had no interest in the game that's one thing but if you're going by all the haters out there saying the game is trash that's different. I actually like the game more than PoE and that was before the new loot systems and paragon levels.

After over 60 hours of playing the game and leveling two characters up to max level I suspect he will come back with a "Diablo 3 sucks, and here is why" post..... :rofl:

Been playing the crap out of D3 ever since the patch landed. Tried going back to PoE over the weekend but I just couldn't get back into it at all.

• Like 2

I should finish Diablo 3 once one day.

But I just can't see myself playing a loot ###### game not droping any loot.

Did Blizzard adjust the drop rate ? I was half way thru the game when i lost interest and was mostly geared with ****** un-interesting gear.

I should finish Diablo 3 once one day.

But I just can't see myself playing a loot ###### game not droping any loot.

Did Blizzard adjust the drop rate ? I was half way thru the game when i lost interest and was mostly geared with ****** un-interesting gear.

Yes.  The drop rates were extremely frustrating before but have been addressed.  Since 2.0 legendary and set pieces drop more frequently, but it isn't SUPER frequent.  The AH was Blizzard's excuse for the crap drop rates...essentially (prior to 2.0) you had to be an auctioneer in order raise enough funds to purchase the gear you needed to get pass the various gear walls.  Blizzard has since remove the AH and increased the drop rates.  IMO, the game is a lot funner (and actually a bit more challenging) now than it was pre 2.0.

You should expect to see probably 2-4 legendaries in your first play through of the game where as before it was highly unlikely to see any legendaries drop until you were into Infernal difficulty (and on your 4th play through of the game).