+1

With SC2, Blizzard has proved that they can keep the original touch and feel of the game. Diablo III is the same. But, on the other hand, I'd strongly suggest playing the the prequels :)

Though keep in mind that Diablo 1 and 2 play much differently than what we've seen from Diablo 3. Character builds are more complicated because you have to allocate stat and skill points yourself. So unless you know the game inside and out or look up a guide online, you run the very real chance of building a character into a corner and not being able beat some of the higher difficulties.

I have been replaying Diablo 2 for the last month, and I have been loving it. :laugh:

Character builds are more complicated because you have to allocate stat and skill points yourself.

One major change announced early in Diablo III's development was the elimination of player-assigned stat points. In Diablo III, each class gains various attribute points in attack, precision, vitality, defense, and willpower when they level up, and these are automatically assigned. The Diablo III developers felt the stat allocation in Diablo II was a poor way to provide character customization since players almost always followed an established build, which was always the best choice for a character. This removed any variety or individuality.

In Diablo II prior to v1.13, a character was unable to change their skills and stats once they were allocated. If you made any mistake, the only solution was to reroll. This is changed in Diablo III, and it will be fairly easy for characters to "respec," to remove and reassign points from skills and traits.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_3_Basics

:)

I was referring to Diablo 1 and 2 when I said that you have to allocate your stat points and skill points manually. And I know they added a way to respec, but you can only do it once per difficulty. So you still need to do some planning ahead because you can't keep resetting your points willy-nilly.

Did i miss a lot by not playing any of the diablo games?

The 2nd one is worth playing through. Normal difficulty doesn't take too long to beat. I find the 1st one to be painfully slow (or at least that is how I remember it being back in the day).

That being said, if all that you are interested in is catching up on the story line I'm sure the wiki page provides enough background. Basically, there are these demons and they are bad. You must go and kill them. You killed one big one, but he keeps coming back because that's his name on the game disc. The end. :p

Yeah opt-in invitations started going out yesterday. I haven't gotten one though. I know who gets invited is supposedly "random" but I can't help but feel cheated since I have been "opt'ed-in" ever since they offered it.

I think it goes without saying that I hate everyone who gets a beta invite with the utmost intensity, and I hope they brick their hard drives.

although i still play diablo 2, i will say that the diablo 3 is a game relic before it released, Skyrim will dominate the rpg world not because the length of the off-line game but mostly of the innovations of game play on the rpg.

Yeah opt-in invitations started going out yesterday. I haven't gotten one though. I know who gets invited is supposedly "random" but I can't help but feel cheated since I have been "opt'ed-in" ever since they offered it.

I feel the same way. I've never been in a Blizzard beta but have been opted in for as long as I can remember. :p

although i still play diablo 2, i will say that the diablo 3 is a game relic before it released, Skyrim will dominate the rpg world not because the length of the off-line game but mostly of the innovations of game play on the rpg.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Just think about how many RPGs came out during Diablo 1 and 2 and still it did well. Besides, now with a 2012 release after Skyrim, it will claim a huge chunk of gamers next year.

I think it goes without saying that I hate everyone who gets a beta invite with the utmost intensity, and I hope they brick their hard drives.

Lol.

I think it goes without saying that Blizzard probably has WAY more opt-in beta testers than they would ever use. If they select more than 10% I'd be surprised.

At the rate they're inviting people into the beta, I would say if they get above 1% or 2% of the total opt-in's it would be remarkable.

It's just really frustrating to see people like this idiot from Gamespy get invited: http://pc.gamespy.co.../1195932p1.html. It just makes me want to punch my monitor.

Gamespy is crazy lame.

There are lot's of people, me included that do not like the first person view for gaming. I would much rather play a Diablo/Dungeon Siege etc..type game before I would play a first person game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer games. You either get people with way too much time on their hands that I could never compete with or you get a bunch of random newbs. Plus, you have people dropping out and disconnecting.

Call me anti-social, but I do prefer to play games like this in single player mode.

1. Lock myself in Man-Cave, play game until I should really be thinking about getting up.

2. Survive the workday and crash the following night.

3. Repeat step 1.

So, between the forced multiplayer and the always-on internet requirements, I'm no longer all that keen on Diablo III.

• 2 weeks later...