Do you know what nightly builds are done for? It's only for testing purpose, not day to day usage.

Do you consider Windows 8 as "released" since they gave the DP to everyone? Same thing here.

And for now, there are no official stable build of firefox for 64bits on Windows. But it's only a matter of few months.

Have you used the nightly builds at all? Probably not, given your post.

The nightly builds are stable enough that I used them for about a month with zero problems (no crashes, no lag, no addon issues (although you do have to force-enable some of them), no problems at all).

I've switched to chrome beta now, just because I felt like trying it again after about a year of not using it.

The only two problems I've have with Chrome have been that middle click on the tab bar does nothing (I was used to using it to get a new tab, so it took me about a day to adjust), and the ad-blocker I'm using for Chrome (made by the same guy who did Adblock Plus for Firefox) doesn't work as well (doesn't block in-video ads, and misses some other ads for some reason)

Have you used the nightly builds at all? Probably not, given your post.

The nightly builds are stable enough that I used them for about a month with zero problems (no crashes, no lag, no addon issues (although you do have to force-enable some of them), no problems at all).

Have you seen the list of bugs that are fixed every day with the Nightly builds? Probably not, given your post.

Just because you don't run into problems personally doesn't mean it's true for everyone else. If the Nightly builds were ready for day-to-day use, they'd be called Stable, not Nightly.

I was using Firefox until FF 7.0 then switched to Chrome as the memory usage of FF even with Memory Fox installed since FF 4.0 is dreadful.

Stopped being a FF fan when FF 4.0 came out. I don't need to switch back as all the add ons/extensions I used in FF are available in Chrome from it's web store.

I like IE9, it is fast and clean but need more customization options and the ability to have addons available. One factor that is pushing people away from it is the sheer amount of toolbars, plugins and whatnot that people OPT IN, even wihtout knowing when installing applications. I've seen netbook or laptop users using IE with half the height of the screen taken by toolbars!

Chrome is fast, but I think its addon system is very week. Their addons doesn't feel as good as their Firefox counterparts. It needs, like IE more customization options. Some are obvious IMHO like not having settings for the download bar or the behavior of mouse click on their tabs. As others have posted, I've seen it drag and stutter with flash object and when the sire you are viewing has plenty of images. This has happened to me in the latest versions.

Opera is good, but I still can find a distinctive advantage over the others, like Chrome or IE's lightweight feeling or Firefox addons/customization options.

Firefox is the one I use everyday because of the amount of great addons that it has and the text rendering from the latest versions is really great. Overall, since version 6, Firefox has the best rendering of the bunch, at least in my eyes.

As with pretty much everything, its a matter of taste and choice. No one is truly better enough to break apart itself from the rest. That's a good thin because it leads to a much tighter race for reaching users and continued development of them all.

I still maintain that IE is in the lead on statcounter because it ships with the OS leading in popularity due to widespread distribution. In other words, the majority of computers run Windows, so the majority of computers come with some version of IE pre-installed. Since they have IE, unless somebody specifically goes and looks for Firefox or Chrome, they're probably content to just use what came on the computer. Corporate environments probably stick with IE because of other products like SharePoint that don't always play nice with browsers not made by Microsoft. That and it comes with their volume licenses for Windows, so it's already gone through testing prior to being installed, unlike Firefox and Chrome which gets to be tested separately if you want to install it on your corporate network.

Of course this is all just speculation by me based on my experiences.

On the original topic, Chrome's performance in Linux is better than that of Firefox, it still has issues rendering some pages hosted by the DoD though, (www.lewis.army.mil for example).

What's wrong with the scrolling? :wacko:

Well when you scroll down on this page for example is your scroll lagging / choppy? My bar that I am dragging is lagging like crazy. Don't have this issue on any other browsers.

If anyone has any ideas on how to possibly resolve this issue, I'd love to hear any suggestions. :)

I have removed the Google profile in the local app folder, and uninstalled it completely, and still nothing. Deleted cookies, cache, etc. as well, and nothing seems to fix it... Dragging the scroll bar down etc. on longer pages is extremely annoying atm with how it is lagging / choppy.

I used to use Firefox up until 4.0 or so. Then it just got so slow and laggy that I said "enough of this crap" and switched to Chrome. I'm glad it's gaining ground.

What's wrong with the scrolling? :wacko:

It's jerky compared to FireFox, and hardware acceleration is a big deal. Opera has it too, but with fewer GPUs than FF and IE. I stick to FF and IE for that reason, and primarily use FF because the extension support is way better. FF lets me keep extensions out of the way unless I need to use them, while Chrome crowds the right of the URL bar with a ton of icons.

It's jerky compared to FireFox, and hardware acceleration is a big deal. Opera has it too, but with fewer GPUs than FF and IE. I stick to FF and IE for that reason, and primarily use FF because the extension support is way better. FF lets me keep extensions out of the way unless I need to use them, while Chrome crowds the right of the URL bar with a ton of icons.

Yep exactly. Customizing is key.

Chrome is just meh. I tried it and there was nothing special about it at all. Pretty standard browser except it lacked preferences. What would I gain from leaving firefox and my extensions? Nothing I can see.

I love chrome. Though I guess I'm one of the few people that use a web browser as a web browser anymore. Personally I hate all the bloat that comes with FF. That's why I got rid of it, I have don't need all the extensions. I quite using FF when 3.x was released because it became severely bloated. Went to Opera and once they started adding the cloud features it too got severely bloated. I don't wanna have to wait for my browser to start up, I just want it there when I click the icon. That's why I love chrome, it doesn't have all the frills and bloat other browsers use. I use IE as my secondary browser of choice, though I rarely need it.

I like IE9, it is fast and clean but need more customization options and the ability to have addons available. One factor that is pushing people away from it is the sheer amount of toolbars, plugins and whatnot that people OPT IN, even wihtout knowing when installing applications. I've seen netbook or laptop users using IE with half the height of the screen taken by toolbars!

You are contradicting yourself, on one statement you complain the lack of customization and addons, then in the next statement you complain the sheer amount of toolbars, plugins and whatnot?

Those "toolbars, plugins and whatnot" ARE IE's addons. IE arguably has the most powerful customization and addon system, actually too powerful for its own good. The current goal of IE is actually to limit its customization and addon ability for security and stability.

Well when you scroll down on this page for example is your scroll lagging / choppy? My bar that I am dragging is lagging like crazy. Don't have this issue on any other browsers.

If anyone has any ideas on how to possibly resolve this issue, I'd love to hear any suggestions. :)

I have removed the Google profile in the local app folder, and uninstalled it completely, and still nothing. Deleted cookies, cache, etc. as well, and nothing seems to fix it... Dragging the scroll bar down etc. on longer pages is extremely annoying atm with how it is lagging / choppy.

I don't experience any noticeable jerking when scrolling on Chrome using my laptop but I do experience it really bad on my 6 year old desktop.

Mus agree the fact that all the extension icons get piled up on the right hand side is quite annoying.

I don't experience any noticeable jerking when scrolling on Chrome using my laptop but I do experience it really bad on my 6 year old desktop.

Mus agree the fact that all the extension icons get piled up on the right hand side is quite annoying.

Yeah I really can't understand why. I'm on a gaming desktop too, and it's only 3 years old. Specs are still considered good enough for most games, and definitely good enough for Chrome's browser. :(

Yeah I really can't understand why. I'm on a gaming desktop too, and it's only 3 years old. Specs are still considered good enough for most games, and definitely good enough for Chrome's browser. :(

Try Revo Uninstaller it removes stuff which doesn't get uninstalled when you're uninstalling a programme.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

In regards to Chrome's scrolling it's hard to explain, but I think it's the lack of native smooth scrolling. Firefox's built-in smooth scrolling isn't the greatest, either, but if you disable it in Firefox you see the same effect as Chrome. With every tick of the scroll wheel, the screen is basically "snapped" up or down x amount of pixels no matter how fast or slow you scroll.

Compared with native smooth scrolling in Firefox there is a noticeable difference between Chrome and Firefox; if you're like me and use a mouse with a high-resolution scroll wheel there is a huge difference. I'm surprised Mozilla didn't highlight pixel scrolling (from what I recall) as a new feature in whatever version that was introduced. It's almost like you're using a touchscreen-like interface for scrolling in Firefox.

In regards to Chrome's scrolling it's hard to explain, but I think it's the lack of native smooth scrolling. Firefox's built-in smooth scrolling isn't the greatest, either, but if you disable it in Firefox you see the same effect as Chrome. With every tick of the scroll wheel, the screen is basically "snapped" up or down x amount of pixels no matter how fast or slow you scroll.

Compared with native smooth scrolling in Firefox there is a noticeable difference between Chrome and Firefox; if you're like me and use a mouse with a high-resolution scroll wheel there is a huge difference. I'm surprised Mozilla didn't highlight pixel scrolling (from what I recall) as a new feature in whatever version that was introduced. It's almost like you're using a touchscreen-like interface for scrolling in Firefox.

Does that explain why it lags though when scrolling clicking and dragging the scroll bar in Chrome? I don't think it does, as Chrome seems to scroll just fine on sites with little to no images. It seems to struggle though when you have a lot of content such as images on the page.

IE9 has brought Microsoft back into the game, and it'll always have an obvious market boost. Personally, I've used Chrome for the past year, and have zero complaints. It's UI just gets out of the way when I don't need it, and when I do, it works a dream.

Oh, and Mozilla recently have been backtracking on decisions, never a good thing to have within a 6 week release cycle.

Chrome is a toy browser. All they care about is speed which is largely negligible on today's PCs and completely avoid actually making it usable.

Care to explain this?

Does that explain why it lags though when scrolling clicking and dragging the scroll bar in Chrome? I don't think it does, as Chrome seems to scroll just fine on sites with little to no images. It seems to struggle though when you have a lot of content such as images on the page.

I guess I was talking about something different. Scrolling with the scroll bar works fine for me on Chrome and the rest of the latest browsers.