Dead Island

I was surprised to find a topic had not been started for this game yet. I got it for $19 on Amazon (was on sale, plus i had a discount from preordering Gears of War 2) and I have it arriving early next week. I was curious if anyone wanted to play some multiplayer on it, as I don't seem to have any friends on Steam who own it.

There is a topic, but for some reason, this game isn't getting any interest. Though, don't let that make you think it is a bad game. While it doesn't offer much of anything "new" to gaming, the game itself is a blast to play. Add in 3 friends, and the fun only grows. Tons to explore, always a challenge, and it looks great.

The game was total fun :D, I didn't beat it, only played like a couple hours into it though.

I've put in at least 50 hours of game play. I haven't beat it either. This is like GTA, where you can make your own fun and adventure sort of. But playing with friends is where the real treasure of this game is to be found. If you liked borderlands, you will like this. It is basically borderlands meets zombies.

• 2 weeks later...

Great game, but the problem lies with the static nature of the environment. it kinda gives the impression that the guys that programmed the game weren't the best at it.

Finally got a hold of the game, only level 4 so far, but enjoying it and taking my time on side quests.

Any fun is pretty much wrecked because weapons last about 4.5 nanoseconds before breaking.

You must not have played very far. They get more and more durable as you go through the game.

Yeah my weapons last pretty well and I'm in ACTII and it's tough! You have to follow the hints and constantly repair them when you can, also you don't have to use a weapon all the time especially if you upgrade the right skills.

Anyone have tips for ACTII in the town?? I see myself running away more than anything and I died already three times. There is just massive swarms at times.

• 2 months later...

It's a shame that this game isn't getting more attention, I've had to dig to find a thread about it.

I've just finished the game on SP (although I've have another character at Act II for coop with some friends, which is where the fun of the game lies) and while the story is meh (and it even gets worse as you get close to the ending) the game as a whole is frigging epic.

AFAIK the devs aren't a AAA company, and it shows. Had they polished the game a bit more it could easily have been a strong GOTY candidate.

Despite all the game glitches, the random disconnections while playing coop and the shoddy storyline, it's easily one of the best games I've played so far.

Any tips for ACT II like I asked above?

There are plenty of crashed cars around. If you see yourself surrounded by zombies just get on top of one of them and you'll be able to kill them without problems.

As long as you don't enter the quarantine area in the center of the city you should be able to move around easily. In the quarantine zone zombies spawn endlessly off the buildings and will swarm you in no time.

When facing large groups coming from a single direction you can either step back and get them off guard once they have finished their attack or just dispense a few flying kicks. Unlike normal kicks, those always knock out both walkers and infected.

I find the game harder when fighting with blunt weapons anyway. While they have the stopping power to get zombies off you fast it also takes a bit more time to kill them.

Out of this act, IMO the most anoying enemies are the fat drowned zombies. I just used deobombs on them until I got the Left Hand of Glova (developer 666 mod.), which is overkill against floaters and thugs as it knocks them down in one hit. It's so easy to kill them that way that it even takes some fun from the game.

I have had this game installed on my Steam Library since release day, just have not found the time to play it. My goal is early next year when there is the inevitable drought of no real games being released, to finally play it. I am actually very much looking forward to it. (Y)

• 3 weeks later...

I found the

Jason Voorghees' cameo in the jungle :rofl: too bad you can't repair the chainsaw you get there.

I also found a really nasty bug: under certain circunstances apparently involving the amount and kind of stuff I have in my inventory (it seems to happen when it's full, but doesn't happen every time it's full) when I use a mod to build something, some of the stuff I have in my quick inventory (R2) disappears (it doesn't show in the full inventory list, nor is it dropped to the floor). First time I losed a quite decent golden pistol when checking what the piranha mod was about, second time I losed three swords when making pistol and rifle ammunition (fortunately this second time I rebooted the console before it saved, so I finally didn't really lose anything).

I think it might have something to do with the way the game handles building items (if you make a new weapon and you already have 8 weapons in the weapon slots, the new one is automatically assigned to your current quick inventory slot and you get two status messages as if you had picked up both the new weapon and the weapon that was replaced from the quick inventory), combined with the weird way it seems to handle some of the items. Eg. 20 first aid kits only take one inventory slot, yet sometimes if my inventory is full I can't pick up a new one even if I have only about 12 of them :huh:

And then there's the fact that weapons built with mods that don't require base weapons (eg. developer mods) disappear if your inventory is full... all that probably sums up as several potential WTF situations.

I have only found that bug twice in the... hmmm... about 60 hours I've spent with this game :blush: but it happens.

Anyway, I'm at 96% of my second playthrough :laugh: I thought I had picked up all the secondary missions on the first one, but turns out I missed quite a few.

So any tips for a first time player?

As I posted above, I actually have owned the game since it was released (got a great deal on Green Man Gaming), but I never checked it out initially due to all the reported bugs, etc., and once they did patch it, I was already playing the bigger releases of the day.

But since it is a pretty slow time in gaming right now, thinking of finally firing the game up. So what should I look to do to get the most out of the game if I only intend to do one play through?

Note DirtyLarry, you should take a peek at "dead island stutter fix" if they haven't patched it in the game itself yet - there was an issue with key repeating causing "micro stutter" within the game, there's an external program that fixes it (and allows a bunch of other graphical options to be set that aren't available in the game itself) - it's available in the Steam Forums.

Note DirtyLarry, you should take a peek at "dead island stutter fix" if they haven't patched it in the game itself yet - there was an issue with key repeating causing "micro stutter" within the game, there's an external program that fixes it (and allows a bunch of other graphical options to be set that aren't available in the game itself) - it's available in the Steam Forums.

Is this the app you are talking about?

Thanks for the tip. (Y)

• 5 months later...

Did not feel the need to start a new thread, so I am resurrecting a thread from January of this year...

So I just have not done much gaming at all on my PC these days, my wrist issues from computer usage have really been flaring up thanks to work, so I unfortunately have been steering clear of playing anything on the PC.

So it is a slow time for games right now, an as such I decided to rent the PS3 version of Dead Island from Gamefly as I finally wanted to check it out.

I am not even sure how this game made it to the PS3, the performance is truly awful. As soon as any type of real action happens, the game just totally freezes and stutters for a few seconds. It is enough of a problem that my very first encounter I had with a group of zombies, literally right at the start of the game, next thing I knew I was dead, as when the first zombie attacked me, the game froze for a good 2 seconds before I realized what the prompts on screen were telling me to do. Really was awful.

Just walking around the game, constant little freezes, etc. This title really should have never made it to the consoles at the state it is in. The performance is just abysmal.

I did some research, and while the PS3 version does seem to suffer more from performance issues, it is not much worse at all then the 360 version.

Total disappointment. It is IMO pretty much unplayable. I think I may lug my computer downstairs, hook it up to my TV, and play it on the computer using a controller. But from the earlier comments in the thread, it sounds like the PC version may suffer the same issue as well without the patch provided above.

Truly what a let down.

<snip>

Total disappointment. It is IMO pretty much unplayable. I think I may lug my computer downstairs, hook it up to my TV, and play it on the computer using a controller. But from the earlier comments in the thread, it sounds like the PC version may suffer the same issue as well without the patch provided above.

Truly what a let down.

I have a mid-range gaming PC (Core i5, GTX 560) and the game runs fine.

I have a mid-range gaming PC (Core i5, GTX 560) and the game runs fine.

Right, I was talking about the consoles, specifically the PS3. As I said, do not game much on my PC anymore, but I was possibly going to...

I think I may lug my computer downstairs, hook it up to my TV, and play it on the computer using a controller.