Windows Phone 7.5 Missing Voice Navigation

So, I got my super awesome and sexy update using my ninja skills and the "plug-pull" method for forcing an update.

Here's my problem though, I appear to have no voice guidance for my turn by turn navigation..

Where as the normal settings pane would appear like this:

windows-phone-7-turn-by-turn-navigation.jpg

I don't have the "Read directions aloud when tapping" option.

This, ****es me RIGHT THE **** OFF. However, that is neither here nor there at this point.. What I am wondering is, is there anyone else out there that has this problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to fix this, or is this just Microsoft screwing Australia again?

Thanks in advance >.<

Nothing :(

I'll try changing all the locale settings :\

With all the settings set to English (United Kingdom): Still no joy :(

Then it's probably not a location thing, but a setting.

I got voice nab in Norway anyway. But I had to set to search language to uk to even be able to get navigation or even simple a dress search, but everything else is norwegian locale, except phone language where I don't have that option, even though it should be possible, but I want it in English anyway :)

I believe this feature is not available outside the US, I don't have it either, typical Microsoft!!

I've just noticed it is missing on my Mozart on Orange UK, it was there in the Dev Beta which makes me thing Orange may have disabled it to force people to use their navigation app.

Then it's probably not a location thing, but a setting.

I got voice nab in Norway anyway. But I had to set to search language to uk to even be able to get navigation or even simple a dress search, but everything else is norwegian locale, except phone language where I don't have that option, even though it should be possible, but I want it in English anyway :)

Are you sure it's set to English UK and not English US.

I've just noticed it is missing on my Mozart on Orange UK, it was there in the Dev Beta which makes me thing Orange may have disabled it to force people to use their navigation app.

My HD7 is on O2-UK and I don't have it either and O2 haven't got another navigation solution which leads me to believe it's a region lock and not a carrier thing.

This makes sense to me, and could be the case. Do you guys have unlocked/unbranded phones or are they from a carrier?

This makes sense to me, and could be the case. Do you guys have unlocked/unbranded phones or are they from a carrier?

Mine is locked to O2-UK, problem is there's no alternative installed by O2. Usually carriers will only disable built in features if they provide an alternative.

More to the point why would O2 disable it anyway, it's not like it's incompatible with the network.

Are you sure it's set to English UK and not English US.

My HD7 is on O2-UK and I don't have it either and O2 haven't got another navigation solution which leads me to believe it's a region lock and not a carrier thing.

The UK Mango how-to page mentions instructions being read aloud, but it could be a mistake.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-GB/howto/wp7/web/get-directions.aspx

The UK Mango how-to page mentions instructions being read aloud, but it could be a mistake.

http://www.microsoft...directions.aspx

Look at the notes though "Certain features of Maps may not be available in your country or region."

It's a generic page that's shown on the US site as well.

Well, seems like the phone sees you're in some country that doesn't support this feature and it just won't run. Maybe they'll find a way or MS will open this up to more people but they could be waiting to expand Bing Maps first before they do so.

You're not missing out on anything amazing. My Trophy (Verizon) takes forever and a day to get a satellite lock, and if I'm playing back music in the car, it may or may not read directions out loud. It is a good start for turn by turn, but it really pales in comparison to an Android device with Google Maps.

Over here android+google maps doesn't do turn by turn at all, and you can't cheat by changing search locale, and yes I set search and browser language to English uk, no us, and it's the only locale I needed to change, locale and stuff is Norway.

^

I actually didn't >.< I googled :p

I know there are ways to do it, but all I can do is point you to google also..

Now it's my turn to be sorry for not contributing..

You're not missing out on anything amazing. My Trophy (Verizon) takes forever and a day to get a satellite lock, and if I'm playing back music in the car, it may or may not read directions out loud. It is a good start for turn by turn, but it really pales in comparison to an Android device with Google Maps.

Yeah, but better then nothing you know >.<

Over here android+google maps doesn't do turn by turn at all, and you can't cheat by changing search locale, and yes I set search and browser language to English uk, no us, and it's the only locale I needed to change, locale and stuff is Norway.

You try getting software to wrap it's "mouth" around some of the street names you guys use :p

I can see why it doesn't, can't you? :p

You've all failed me! /slap

I'm kinda thinking about coughing up the $5.50 for the "Turn-By-Turn Navigation" app by GPSTuner..

Seems to be the best GPS app around if anyone is in need >.<

P.s. Thanks for the help so far >.<

^

I actually didn't >.< I googled :p

I know there are ways to do it, but all I can do is point you to google also..

Now it's my turn to be sorry for not contributing..

LOL Oh man, I got pretty excited as soon as I saw those [Mango] screenshots, I thought there was a Mango-ready screenshot homebrew app :(

As far as I am aware, there has been no successful side-loading of apps on mango so far.

Some of the XDA devs are talking about it though

You try getting software to wrap it's "mouth" around some of the street names you guys use :p

I can see why it doesn't, can't you? :p

Yeah, but I mean doesn't do any turn by turn nav, no text only, no voice telling you where to turn and when, no nothing. MS actually let's me search, I could even try to do voice search, and the thing does try to pronounce street names :)

Try doing a full reset.

Hey I've got this problem too. I'm in Canada and everything is set to English (US). Thing is... first time I've started the "maps" app after the update, it worked!!!!! But now it doesn't anymore and I've went through every setting in the phone to try to make it work with no avail.

Has anyone tried to format the thing?

I'm on the verge of trying to call or email microsoft (scary thought).

Another thing with the maps..... when you've got your directions showing on the bottom half of the screen, is there any way to hide them and only show the map, route and where you are? In other words, I'm trying to make the top half go full screen.