Android Market 3.1.5

What the heck happened to this thread :| :s

What you mean?

And Books apparently released to UK now so you should start seeing those I guess. :yes:

What you mean?

And Books apparently released to UK now so you should start seeing those I guess. :yes:

Well if you look at page 1, looks like part of another thread got merged with this one (People talking about rooting and quoting things not from this thread.....). And when I wrote that message, Page 2 had vanished along with my posts.

Yes I actually was coming to post that I got a new T&C message earlier today, and when I opened the Market I was greeted with a new layout;

308flth.jpg

Looking good. It looks equal (if not better) than the App Store in many ways.

Nice! :o

I don't think I'd be willing to root my phone. If I had an iPhone I would jailbreak it because it's so simple. Rooting seems a lot more complicated to me though, because there's more work involved. I will say that you've definitely managed to get a great looking phone. My Galaxy Ace has a black bar as standard, but it doesn't have the same battery information / great looking icons. :(

Look into the "Super One Click Root", a lot of phones are supported and it's just as easy as jailbreaking.

• 3 weeks later...

I refuse to root my Android simply because; warranty and phone replacement. if rooted= no replacement= can't risk that.

You know you can un-root it and put it back? I plan to do this.

It still surprises me how many people moot on about warranty. I haven't had anything broken during it's warranty period.

The only reason I don't root my phone is cause it has the android version on it I am happy with and I am playing the waiting game for ICS now

I don't expect an official release for ICS though, so I expect to Root and flash a custom firmware

To hell with the warranty at that stage I'd rather have the OS I want rather than the OS thats "official"

The only reason I don't root my phone is cause it has the android version on it I am happy with and I am playing the waiting game for ICS now

I don't expect an official release for ICS though, so I expect to Root and flash a custom firmware

To hell with the warranty at that stage I'd rather have the OS I want rather than the OS thats "official"

Rooting is like jailbreaking.. it just lets you install/use apps you normally couldn't. It doesn't CHANGE the OS, it doesn't change the experience. It also depends on the phone, with my Atrix, just rooting doesn't do much. It lets me install recoveries and such, but I had to flash a new sbf file that unlocked a command (in my phone "oem unlock") so that I could unlock the boot loader, to be able to flash custom roms.

Rooting doesn't void or break warrantees, you can't brick from a root, and it's possible to un-root. Interestingly enough, even with the Atrix unlocking the boot loader (which completely bypasses security) is still covered under motorollas warantee/return policy.

Rooting is like jailbreaking.. it just lets you install/use apps you normally couldn't. It doesn't CHANGE the OS, it doesn't change the experience. It also depends on the phone, with my Atrix, just rooting doesn't do much. It lets me install recoveries and such, but I had to flash a new sbf file that unlocked a command (in my phone "oem unlock") so that I could unlock the boot loader, to be able to flash custom roms.

Rooting doesn't void or break warrantees, you can't brick from a root, and it's possible to un-root. Interestingly enough, even with the Atrix unlocking the boot loader (which completely bypasses security) is still covered under motorollas warantee/return policy.

Flashing your phone with a custom firmware can invalidate your warranty, depends on the manufacturer and their stance on it though...

If you use a root exploit - that roots without flashing the system but exploits a flaw to inject and establish root, then you don't have a chance of losing your warranty since you haven't flashed anything ;)

Recent Samsung phones have a flash counter that detects how many times you've flashed an unofficial firmware to it...

Iv`e just rooted my Android device with UnRevoked, and it was easy as pie, also installed ROM Manager. First thing i did was to create a nandoid back up, next is to try some custom ROM`s. I`m looking at Cynogen or possibly Aurora, i`m still new to the whole thing so am taking it one step at a time :)

Just a quick question, sorry its OT, does anyone know if the facility to create an ext partition with ROM manger makes an ext4 or ext3 partition? I could use GParted but if the app can do it why bother!

Flashing your phone with a custom firmware can invalidate your warranty, depends on the manufacturer and their stance on it though...

If you use a root exploit - that roots without flashing the system but exploits a flaw to inject and establish root, then you don't have a chance of losing your warranty since you haven't flashed anything ;)

Recent Samsung phones have a flash counter that detects how many times you've flashed an unofficial firmware to it...

That's what I was getting at (ish), rooting isn't a severe thing. It isn't going to remove what you already have, it isn't going to void your waranty. You could root your phone, and unless you install an app like rootchecker, you would never know.

Just a quick question, sorry its OT, does anyone know if the facility to create an ext partition with ROM manger makes an ext4 or ext3 partition? I could use GParted but if the app can do it why bother!

Depends on the phone, and on what scripts have been written for it. I have an Atrix and the CWM Recovery I have supports ext4. The Rom I have installed converted all the partitions to Ext4 for me. I don't know if the Recovery itself can do it, but the recoveries you may have are different than the one I have.

Yea you could brick from a Root, flashing things like CWM or Kernels, or other custom ROMs

Only way you could un-brick it would be if you had access to something like nvflash and knew how to get into USB Mode etc

Also rooting can cause OTA updates to fail if you modify system files, or flash custom recovery images like CWM

Rooting is great if you are clued up enough and have all the correct tools to flash back to stock from a device that has no image on-screen, know adb commands, and are prepared to lose all your data if something goes wrong.

Personally I don't see many benefits with root other than Ad Blocking, or if you flash custom ROMs, using CWM

Yea you could brick from a Root, flashing things like CWM or Kernels, or other custom ROMs

Only way you could un-brick it would be if you had access to something like nvflash and knew how to get into USB Mode etc

Also rooting can cause OTA updates to fail if you modify system files, or flash custom recovery images like CWM

Rooting is great if you are clued up enough and have all the correct tools to flash back to stock from a device that has no image on-screen, know adb commands, and are prepared to lose all your data if something goes wrong.

Personally I don't see many benefits with root other than Ad Blocking, or if you flash custom ROMs, using CWM

Custom Kernels? I personally find Siyah gives better performance/battery life than the stock SGS 2.3.5 kernel...

Might be related to the phone, every single thing I read said that rooting can't brick (my) phone. That it can mess up OTA Updates, but it's not common. Also, many sections on XDA have 5+ step by step guides on recovering from soft-bricks. So really all you need to know, is how to read.

Custom Kernels? I personally find Siyah gives better performance/battery life than the stock SGS 2.3.5 kernel...

Custom Kernels FTW, I am running on that bumps my cpu from 1.0GHz to 1.45GHz stable with full UV Support. Has better battery than the stock kernel, and about 50 new/improved features.

Might be related to the phone, every single thing I read said that rooting can't brick (my) phone. That it can mess up OTA Updates, but it's not common. Also, many sections on XDA have 5+ step by step guides on recovering from soft-bricks. So really all you need to know, is how to read.

Sorry what I meant was, once you are rooted, the things you can do to your device could easily brick it, not so much the rooting process alone, although there are risks doing anything to a device it was not designed to do

AFAIK, you can't really "brick" these newer devices. You should always be able to get to "download mode" and flash an official ROM again then just root it and start over.

AFAIK, you can't really "brick" these newer devices. You should always be able to get to "download mode" and flash an official ROM again then just root it and start over.

Its true enough, unless you do what I did with my old tablet and tried to flash the wrong ROM using the wrong download mode tool, only to find out there was no files or flashing tools released for me to flash it back again.

Was a cheapo tablet, but only around a year ago.

Thanks firey, think i`ll just go the GParted way, then i know for sure... It`s a Desire with CWM 5.0.2.0 btw

Tryed it via RM (after doing some research), all seems to have gone fine :)

I am running Android Market version 3.3.11. More features than 3.1.5.