The Steve Jobs discussion: Did you love him, hate him, all of the above....

I don't really know too much about him, except that he turned Apple into a market leader on various platforms. The products he (and Apple) designed were good, and revolutionised the directions of the markets. However it's the 'fanbois' that I do not like.

Well i am a MS fan. Ill always criticize Apple's products.

Steve Jobs will be missed because of his love for design and functioning design to be exact. I can never find flaws in his design decisions. They are natural and always work. Simply work!

We will see how Apple works out in 2 3 years to see how much dynamics he brought to the table there.

Sad day. Our main rival. :(

I wonder what technology would be like today if Apple died all those years ago, particularly no iPads and no iPhones.

Why? Someone would have taken their place.

Never get the sentiment of "oh where would we be without him."

Simple we would be praising someone else instead.

I wonder what technology would be like today if Apple died all those years ago, particularly no iPads and no iPhones.

Somebody else would have done it. Maybe not as well, but it'd be done.

Why? Someone would have taken their place.

Never get the sentiment of "oh where would we be without him."

Simple we would be praising someone else instead.

i'm just generally interested what sort of products we would have, the ipad pushed the development of tablet computers and also set the bar, hardly anything else has come close yet and thats with another product to influence.. the same goes for iphone really, i previously had microsoft offering (before windows phone 7) and it was dreadful... microsoft stepped up to bring their products inline with what was already on the market, would we have that today? (i'm not saying we wouldn't, nor slating other companies.. its just interesting to know what influence Apple has had on pushing other companies to move forward as well).

Maybe it all would happen, but much longer time scale? a smartphone like iphone, android, etc could still be a work in progress?

i'm just generally interested what sort of products we would have, the ipad pushed the development of tablet computers and also set the bar, hardly anything else has come close yet and thats with another product to influence.. the same goes for iphone really, i previously had microsoft offering (before windows phone 7) and it was dreadful... microsoft stepped up to bring their products inline with what was already on the market, would we have that today? (i'm not saying we wouldn't, nor slating other companies.. its just interesting to know what influence Apple has had on pushing other companies to move forward as well).

Maybe it all would happen, but much longer time scale? a smartphone like iphone, android, etc could still be a work in progress?

Or it might not have happened at all....Those things we may never know.

I would say, that if technology was a religion, Steve Jobs would have been it's prophet.

Over exaggeration......at most a disciple.

Without him, technology won't be as cool.

I agree with this. Without Jobs (and Apple's "whiteness"), the white earphone cable would not have become a trend.

On a personal level I think it's sad for his family that he passed away at an age of 56. For the rest I'm a bit shocked by his death as it's pretty coming out of nowhere, we knew his health issues were worsening again but I don't think we anticipated anything like this.

On a business level I don't really care. The only thing I ever bought of Apple was an Ipod in the beginning, nothing else. I loathe Apple products because they're commercial overpriced gadgets which seem to be loved by the general public for whatever reason.

One thing he did was he brought IT closer to the common people, but he did it by using commercial prowess, not by making a superior product. He made Apple a big commercial company with a heavy following. Did Apple really contribute much to IT, for me, no. Did he contribute a lot to the people who are ignorant of IT but love gadgets, then yes. (Talking about the general public, not IT guys who love Apple, because those exist also)

The only Apple products I've had where an iphone and ipod classic, neither of which impressed me. I suppose thanks to Apple's smartphone, in a roundabout way, has helped me have the fantastic SGS 2 that I have today.

To me, aesthetics aside, from a hardware perspective, almost all a Mac's innards are standard PC component parts, not any higher quality than those we buy over the counter. Whilst some may view Apple products as unique and innovative, they really offer nothing to me whatsoever.

So I've never been in awe with any Apple product and Steve Jobs passing has zero emotional impact on me to be honest but condolences to his close family and to the countless other's that die every day.

On a personal level I think it's sad for his family that he passed away at an age of 56. For the rest I'm a bit shocked by his death as it's pretty coming out of nowhere, we knew his health issues were worsening again but I don't think we anticipated anything like this.

On a business level I don't really care. The only thing I ever bought of Apple was an Ipod in the beginning, nothing else. I loathe Apple products because they're commercial overpriced gadgets which seem to be loved by the general public for whatever reason.

One thing he did was he brought IT closer to the common people, but he did it by using commercial prowess, not by making a superior product. He made Apple a big commercial company with a heavy following. Did Apple really contribute much to IT, for me, no. Did he contribute a lot to the people who are ignorant of IT but love gadgets, then yes. (Talking about the general public, not IT guys who love Apple, because those exist also)

Pretty much my thoughts.

Sad he died, he did impressive things. Beyond that, who cares?

I've no opinion on his passing. Condolences to his family & friends of course. Apple will survive as the true visionary Jonathan Ives is still alive & well