39 replies to this topic

#16 Cøi

Cøi

The Aviator

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:15

Yes, If we compare the A5 in the iPad 2 against the SG2:

Posted Image

http://www.anandtech...hone-gpufor-now

Pretty sure the benchmark for the iPhone 4S will be almost the same.

That's about the graphics... So now let's look at the actual CPU speed of the 900 MHz dual CPU (iPad 2 and likely 4S as well) vs 1,2 GHz dual (Galaxy S II), I think the S II has a lot bigger chance to win..

And really...Will the A5 be any faster than the 1.2GHz Dual core in the S2.

Probably not.

#17 evo_spook

evo_spook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:17

That's about the graphics... So now let's look at the 900 MHz dual CPU (iPad 2 and likely 4S as well) vs 1,2 GHz dual (Galaxy S II). It's obvious who's going to win :shifty:

Not really, you got to take into account OS optomisation.

#18 Cøi

Cøi

The Aviator

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:19

Not really, you got to take into account OS optomisation.

Doesn't matter, he just subtly showed us wrong stats in an attempt to make us believe the 4S is better.

To answer this question though, I prefer Galaxy S II. Please view http://www.neowin.ne...ii-to-iphone-4s

#19 evo_spook

evo_spook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:20

Doesn't matter, he just subtly showed us wrong stats in an attempt to make us believe the 4S is better.

where as you're showing us no stats at all beyond your opinion.

#20 Cøi

Cøi

The Aviator

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:23

where as you're showing us no stats at all beyond your opinion.

I really don't need to, I just disproved Damien's stats. It's just logic sense, anyway.
If the 4S had 1,2 GHz and the S II 900 MHz, what would you say with such love for Apple?

#21 evo_spook

evo_spook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:25

I don't need to, I just disproved Damien's stats. It's just logic sense, anyway.
If the 4S had 1,2 GHz and the S II 900 MHz, what would you say with such love for Apple?

That their is other factors involved with them having  two different chip sets and different OS's, until a test can be done side by side I'll keep a open mind.

#22 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:27

I don't need to, I just disproved Damien's stats. It's just logic sense, anyway.

you haven't disproved anything, saying the S2 has a more powerful CPU isn't saying much especially if it can't utilize it to its full extent

saying that, when you compare the two phones they both come out about even because the iPhone is able to utilize its CPU a lot better and doesn't need the bigger CPU to get the same results

in the end it comes down to personal opinion though, so don't go trying to force people in the opposite direction just because you don't like the phone/company

#23 Cøi

Cøi

The Aviator

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:30

you haven't disproved anything, saying the S2 has a more powerful CPU isn't saying much especially if it can't utilize it to its full extent

saying that, when you compare the two phones they both come out about even because the iPhone is able to utilize its CPU a lot better and doesn't need the bigger CPU to get the same results

I just showed how Damien's stats are more about the GPU, not CPU.
I also know it could be false that the S II has a more powerful CPU, but then please show me proof that the "iPhone is able to utilize its CPU a lot better" or else I'll take that as random nonsense.

in the end it comes down to personal opinion though, so don't go trying to force people in the opposite direction just because you don't like the phone/company

I don't hate iPhone or Apple, I'm fine with it if people prefer them over the S II, I just find it disturbing how Damien shows us GPU stats to make us believe the CPU is better.

#24 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:33

I also know it could be false that the S II has a more powerful CPU, but then please show me proof that the "iPhone is able to utilize its CPU a lot better" or else I'll take that as random nonsense.

where in that stat poster does it say it's just talking about CPU?

the stat poster is specifically talking about what phone can get better FPS

edit: and if you look at the link he posted as the source for the image the title of the article is "ARM's Mali-400 MP4 is the Fastest Smartphone GPU...for Now"

#25 evo_spook

evo_spook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:35

I thought it was well known that the Android OS is interpreted layer on top of a linux kernal. iOS is not, it has being written explicitly for the iPhone, Android because this, takes a performance hit.

#26 Cøi

Cøi

The Aviator

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:37

the stat poster is specifically talking about what phone can get better FPS

Don't worry, I still do realize this but he answered with GPU stats when someone asked if the CPU is faster or not.

I thought it was well known that the Android OS is interpreted layer on top of a linux kernal. iOS is not, it has being written explicitly for the iPhone, Android because this, takes a performance hit.

iOS is based on Mac OS X, as far as I know and this article tells me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS

iOS is derived from Mac OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix-like operating system by nature.

Which means both Android and iOS are Unix-based operating systems.

#27 evo_spook

evo_spook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:39

Don't worry, I still do realize this but he answered with GPU stats when someone asked if the CPU is faster or not.

iOS is based on Mac OS X, as far as I know and this article tells me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS

But iOS doesn't have a interpreted layer like Android and it has being written to fully integrate with the iPhone hardware (Apple designed), a level of optomisation Android can't match.

#28 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:42

and there's also the fact that Linux and Mac are based off of two completely different Unix kernals

Linux is using GNU while Mac is using BSD

It is not a interpreted language and it has being written to fully integrate with the iPhone hardware, a level of optomisation Android can't match.

and there's this

#29 Cøi

Cøi

The Aviator

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:44

iOS will generally run faster because it supports a lot less hardware, which means it has to go through a lot less layers.
On the other hand, Android kinda runs on a LOT of devices, so that's why it will be slower in general.

1,2 GHz is still 33% (300 MHz) faster than 900 MHz, so I doubt that iOS will still be faster than Android with such a difference.

Btw, you people need to learn to spell. :/

I'm not going to bother replying to the Android-sucks-posts below me, it's simply repeating what I just said and this thread was only created to decide wether C-Squarez should get an iPhone 4S or a Galaxy S II. I choose S II, you choose 4S. Fine?

#30 evo_spook

evo_spook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2011 - 21:49

Get rid of the Java layer and Google build Android for Motorolla then it'll be a more level playing field.

iOS will generally run faster because it supports a lot less hardware, which means it has to go through a lot less layers.
On the other hand, Android kinda runs on a LOT of devices, so that's why it will be slower in general.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The code for Android (I presume the top level layer) isn't native, it is interpreted, so they have to translate parts of it, there is a performance hit.

iOS is native on the iPhone, there is no translation going on, so it is optomised and faster.