Photo

Eleven years came and went, and subscriptions giveaway!

neowin birthday

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#16 Travelar

Travelar

Neowinian

• 416 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:38

I found my way to Neowin years ago when I was researching something and stumbled upon Neowin in the search results. While I'm not a huge poster, I do spend a lot of time lurking here. Thanks for the opportunity to enter.

#17 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,518 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Hm, I wonder - am I the only one who has Neowin open in a browser tab at all times?

#18 The_Decimator

The_Decimator

Neowinian

• 1,303 posts

Happy belated B-Day, Neowin! As for how I got here, well, I don't have a lot of time to write this, but I first heard of this place since people from the BetaArchive-JoeJoe community had been on here. (I'm banned from both forums now, BTW. xD ) I first came THERE because of Longhorn, actually. Anyways, I first made a post here promoting an OS I used to develop called New Beginning. No one here liked it except the mod that appeared when I requested the thread be deleted, but, whatever. Anyways, I eventually decided to come back here after a hiatus after that thread, and have been here ever since! :D

#19 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• 2,513 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:39

I honestly can't remember how I found Neowin, but I have been here a lot longer than my old accounts. I was only like 10/11 years old when I had my old accounts and they got banned :p I am now 18 so you could say i been around here for around 7 years and love it :-)

Think I may of found it through searching the web in general or through a friend :)

#20 ilhuicacoatl

ilhuicacoatl

Neowinian

• 71 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:40

The story of how I found Neowin: I was sitting in Programming class one day and had finished the day's assignment. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about firefox, so I quickly googled for firefox news. I skipped the official site and the 3rd result down was neowin. That search changed my life. <3

#21 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,915 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:43

I always get slightly annoyed with me paying for Subscriber then some people get it free. I pay to help support Neowin and as a reward we get some little extras, but just because someone is new and posts do they get Subscriber, there not Subscribing! If anything they should get Tier 1.

Fair enough for people who have been here for many years contributing etc, but not new people.

thats my thoughts, but I do fully respect you and your views (even if they are wrong :laugh:)

I see where you're coming from, but it's also a little marketing on our part, plus subs usually get more than they signed up for anyway, last year we extended quite a few current subscribers in Back Stage Pass, because we wanted to give something back to the people who had already paid :)

#22 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 8,002 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:45

Wow... I just missed the cutoff since I joined the 26th of October. Still have a subscription from another giveaway and had purchased a subscription before that. I can't believe that it's been 10 years. Since the beginning Neowin was my home page. After browsers started adding tabs I added a couple more pages, but Neowin was always the first one and on top. I'm not one of those "super posters" but I've been pretty steady over the time I've been here. I first came to Neowin because of Windows XP. I lurked a little during the beta and joined when I saw how active the community was. It's funny to remember the different waves of interest. There was a phase when it was all about customizing the GUI, making it look like Whistler, making it looks like Mac, making it look like anything but Windows... I guess the phase now is gaming.

Overall a very cool time.

#23 ManMountain

ManMountain

Neowinian

• 895 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:45

Over these 10 years, for IT news, Neowin has always been the my first port of call. On the forums, if ever I have an issue there's already a solution or someone who can point me to one. Likewise, if I can help I will. It's a good example of the Neowininan community helping each other out.

Whilst I may not be as an avid a poster as Rappy, I try my best when I have the time. Looking forward to seeing what the next 11 years brings :)

#24 IceBreakerG

IceBreakerG

Local Ninja! Code Ninja That Is.

• 2,138 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:46

I joined for several reasons, most importantly I was looking for a good, "reliable" tech site and forum. I joined before I started programming full time at work, and have always used Neowin to keep up to date on what's going on in the computer tech industry. One of the very few sites I come to daily.

#25 Minifig

Minifig

Kun Det Bedste Er Godt Nok!

• 7,282 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:47

I remember joining here after another website I was a regular on (DeviantPC) started dying because a real life friend of mine on here (DarkJediUK) told me that it was a wonderful forum. I took a look around, and after about an hour decided to join. I'm quite glad I did.. and I think I'm never going to change my user name again after .. I think.. five? six? name changes.

#26 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,915 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:48

No-one missed the cut-off :p current members who registered before Oct 1st 2011, or new members that registered on or after that date!

#27 Dead'Soul

Dead'Soul

Think Simple!

• 1,256 posts
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:48

count me in!

#28 deck

deck

Neowinian

• 1,408 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:54

I joined Neowin way back when, about 11 years ago, looking for information about Windows XP. I have visited daily ever since. The community has helped me solve many various issues and provided me with many laughs. I'll be sticking around for a very long time.

#29 BrainDedd

BrainDedd

Neowinian

• 497 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:55

My favourite memory of Neowin is joining exactly on my birthday so many years ago ... :)

#30 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:59

Oh well.
While the grey Member badge fits well under my grey avatar, I wouldn't mind a refreshing color change. Also, Neowin is awesome.