iOS 5 Widgets

One thing struck me while using the iOS 5 GM: they call their weather information section of the new notifications drop down a "widget".

394968365t.PNG

I don't recall Apple ever making a big deal about "Widgets coming to iOS 5" but the language is quite clear that they are calling this particular Weather Widget, a, well, widget.

Is this going to be the only Widget we see on iOS for awhile, or will there be more coming? Does anyone know if 3rd party widgets are supported?

What kind of widget would you like to see in iOS?

One thing struck me while using the iOS 5 GM: they call their weather information section of the new notifications drop down a "widget".

I thought that was interesting, too.

They are trying to copy Android but since iOS was poorly imagined over the long run and never planned on having widgets, now they are trying to put them in notification area. It's kind of ridiculous.

They didn't make a big deal about it because there are only two of them, and no way for developers to create or add new ones. So unless Apple decides to do so, there won't be more - unless you jailbreak, of course.

They are trying to copy Android but since iOS was poorly imagined over the long run and never planned on having widgets, now they are trying to put them in notification area. It's kind of ridiculous.

I don't follow you on what is so ridiculous of putting widgets in the notification area. Looks great to me. I love the way they integrated it into the OS.

Anyway, there were widgets in Windows Mobile so the whole "x company copied y feature" is childish at this point.

It's actually the other way around. It's pretty obvious that they planned on having widgets from the beginning if you look at the default Weather and Stocks widget that shipped back with the original iPhone. I'm fairly sure they aren't Cocoa apps but are instead built more like dashboard widgets. Apparently they changed their minds at some point because they never shipped the ability to make widgets to devs and have barely updated the Weather and Stocks widgets.

I don't follow you on what is so ridiculous of putting widgets in the notification area. Looks great to me. I love the way they integrated it into the OS.

Anyway, there were widgets in Windows Mobile so the whole "x company copied y feature" is childish at this point.

he's a troll, don't bother... let's not mention all the patents android has broken that belong to windows/apple :rolleyes:

he's a troll, don't bother... let's not mention all the patents android has broken that belong to windows/apple :rolleyes:

You don't have to troll to see that half of the new features in iOS 5 are taken directly from Android. It's not all bad though. We can all say that iOS's notifications suck. I'm glad to see them use a notification tray like Android does. It's a huge upgrade for iOS.

They didn't make a big deal about it because there are only two of them, and no way for developers to create or add new ones. So unless Apple decides to do so, there won't be more - unless you jailbreak, of course.

How would jailbreaking magically make more widgets appear - unless of course, someone releases an SDK that only works with jailbroken iOS devices, but you can't just assume that'll happen.

iOS can already run standard widgets like you have on a Mac - They just don't look very good or all run properly but it does depend on the widget :(

It fits/looks so nice in notification area. And why more widgets? It's not Android. I don't need Facebook, Messsages and E-mail notification on widgets like it's in Android.

I don't like how there isn't a clock app for iPad. I mean, there are clock apps that work fine that are on the app store but it would be nice to have a stock one.

Yeah that sucks. I really hoped Apple would finally introduce the Clock and Weather app in iOS 5 for the iPad. :/

394968365t.PNG

I don't recall Apple ever making a big deal about "Widgets coming to iOS 5" but the language is quite clear that they are calling this particular Weather Widget, a, well, widget.

Is this going to be the only Widget we see on iOS for awhile, or will there be more coming? Does anyone know if 3rd party widgets are supported?

What kind of widget would you like to see in iOS?

Apple has always called the weather and stock apps by "widgets". If you don't believe me go back and watch the original iPhone announcement.

If that link doesn't jump you to the right point, go to 3m 23s in the video.