Stallman’s complete posting, reads:

Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their freedom, has died.

As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, “I’m not glad he’s dead, but I’m glad he’s gone.” Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs’ malign influence on people’s computing.

Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be less effective.

Full story on ZDnet

Mod edit - Sorry guys - was trying to fix the cut off in the topic but apparently it's too long so I chopped it a bit but added the tag to keep some of the detail plus make it searchable, you guys don't mind right? :whistle:

Edited by SHoTTa35
tagged

well, I know who steve job is but I have no idea who Richard Stallman is and it doesn't look like I'm missing anything.

Basically Stallman is a strong advocate of free (as in unrestricted) software. Everything Apple have clamped down on.

I only knew of him through one of the users avatar here on the forum.

Makes Stallman look bad here though, nothing positive can come from this quote

I don't think so, I think his quote has more truth in terms of what went on these last 10 years, sometimes the right thing to say is never the easiest.

"The computer as a jail"?

That's so extreme it's not even funny. Mac OSX is based off of UNIX, which has always been a computer enthusiast's background. It's only since Lion that they've started a walled garden OS. iPhones are a walled garden but damnit, it works, and it's not even meant to be a personal computer anyway!

This guy is definitely a knob.

Wow, what an ass hole. Way to alienate everyone from Linux. I'm not even a fan of Apple, but this guy needs to shut up and think about what he says before he says it.

"The computer as a jail"?

That's so extreme it's not even funny. Mac OSX is based off of UNIX, which has always been a computer enthusiast's background. It's only since Lion that they've started a walled garden OS. iPhones are a walled garden but damnit, it works, and it's not even meant to be a personal computer anyway!

This guy is definitely a knob.

BSD

When Stallman dies, can we say "I'm not glad he died, but I'm glad he's gone, as a spokesperson for socially inept, emotionless FOSS fanatics everywhere"

Basically Stallman is a strong advocate of free (as in unrestricted) software. Everything Apple have clamped down on.

Not really, they have closed up there own eco-system but they have not clamped down on anything beyond themselves. As Stallman is a strong advocate of free software then he should recognise that its peoples choice to use free software or to be a part of Apples world, anything else is the denial of freedom of choice, unless he doesn't want choice, just his own way.

When Stallman dies, can we say "I'm not glad he died, but I'm glad he's gone, as a spokesperson for socially inept, emotionless FOSS fanatics everywhere"

I don't think he'll mind, people who are that set on how they look at people and events for what they really are have no regrets about anything and can only look forward.

I don't think so, I think his quote has more truth in terms of what went on these last 10 years, sometimes the right thing to say is never the easiest.

Normally I don't have a problem at least giving another person's viewpoint a chance, but for this guy to say what he did about a guy who just died from cancer is not the right thing to do. He's using a death as a podium to share his viewpoint about another mans life work.

"But we all deserve the end of Jobs? malign influence on people?s computing"

That sentence alone is just disrespectful.

I don't think he'll mind, people who are that set on what people and events really were have no regrets about anything and can only look forward.

I doubt Steve Jobs minds either, being dead and all, but I get your point (point being, that Stallman is a dick and doesn't care if people think so).

On a side note, just gonna leave this here:

"But we all deserve the end of Jobs’ malign influence on people’s computing"

The only influence Jobs will have on peoples computing is if they decide to go down that path, no one forces them.

I doubt Steve Jobs minds either, being dead and all, but I get your point (point being, that Stallman is a dick and doesn't care if people think so).

On a side note, just gonna leave this here:

He's teaching us how to eat for free :laugh:

Apple (ab)uses free software when its convineant or they cant really come up with an alternative (OS core, Browser for example).

while Stallman might be socially inept and got the timing wrong, he has a point and i wonder if he sees the irony in the fact that Stallan created /led FOSS software was the key reason - the software component of Apple's success.

Apple is a truly innovative company and their influence is the reason why technology is what it is today. What I don't care for is their business practices, how they lock you in the Apple ecosystem of products. But I'm not glad that Steve Jobs is gone, because Apple isn't going to change their business practices because they have a new CEO. They're going to continue to do what worked for them in the past.

What I don't care for is their business practices, how they lock you in the Apple ecosystem of products.

People have choice, they don't have to be locked in, Apple never took away free will.

Much less so than Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs is considered a dick (which I agree with) because he didn't compromise. He pushed and pushed hard for what he believed in. It just so happens that he believed in Apple. Because of his arrogance he was able to create many useful things that forwarded technology. Stallman just seems like a dick that is hanging on to a failed concept. Since both are ###### I prefer the one that actually achieved something worthwhile.

• Like 1

We all have personal demons, and the fact that Jobs was able to make amends with his daughter proves a lot. I love this talk as if Richard Stallman is a saint.