You are still locked in as much as iOS, so his statement stands for all of them, there is no difference.

But Samsung's variant of Android and HTC's variant of Android are fully interoperable, despite being different OS's, and soon Blackberry's will be able to run android apps. iOS apps only run on a single OS, as do WP7 apps. iOS apps in fact don't run on anything except a single phone. Android apps run on almost any phone that sports a variant of the Android OS.

But Samsung's variant of Android and HTC's variant of Android are fully interoperable, despite being different OS's, and soon Blackberry's will be able to run android apps. iOS apps only run on a single OS, as do WP7 apps. iOS apps in fact don't run on anything except a single phone. Android apps run on almost any phone that sports a variant of the Android OS.

You're still locked into the Android ecosystem, which was the orginal point, which was:

iPhone and have been downloading/buying apps from the iOS app store, would you be willing to buy or download those apps/alternatives again from the Android Market all over again

If you move to WM7 or iOS then you are going to have to redown load the apps again, I'm sorry you can't spin it so that Android looks better then iOS or WM7 when its the exact same thing, Lock into Android.

You're still locked into the Android ecosystem, which was the orginal point, which was:

If you move to WM7 or iOS then you are going to have to redown load the apps again, I'm sorry you can't spin it so that Android looks better then iOS or WM7 when its the exact same thing, Lock into Android.

OK I misunderstood, but my point still stands about Blackberry. BBOS is not Android, but an app purchased on the Android Market would run on it in future. Same sort of applies to Amazon's Android variant. Amazon's Android variant is so different that (IMO) it's valid to classify it as another OS, but any app purchased for the Kindle Fire will run on any Android tablet, and vice-versa.

Even so, Android is theoretically better in this regard, but currently isn't. Android, with it's ability to have multiple markets, allows the possibility for a market that hosts Apps for multiple OS's (Angry Birds, as a cross platform example). This marketplace would then allow you to buy Angry birds for no particular OS and allow you to download/install it for WP7, Android or iOS. Unfortunately the limiting factor from then on is solely Apple and Microsoft, who would have to start allowing 3rd party installs before it becomes a reality.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to occur in reality since app store profits for MS and Apple are not worth the minor bad press of vendor lock-in (and lets face it, no-one outside of tech circles really gives a rats ass about vendor lock in). Therefore we're stuck in a sort of catch-22 whereby Android looks like it has vendor lock in simply for the fact that all of it's competitors impose vendor lock-in. And if its competitors start allowing 3rd party market places, no-one has vendor lock-in, and therefore the whole issue is moot.

What is wrong with what he said? He clearly said he's not glad he's dead. He's just glad he is gone. People can be gone in many ways. Like leaving the company and yes dying. In this case for him to leave he had to die, but the guy clearly said he's not glad he's dead.

Nothing wrong with what he said IMO. People are just reading/taking it wrong and saying Stallman said he is glad Jobs is dead. Which was not the case.

Apple has not be innovative in a while and is getting stale. Apple used to be ahead of the game and now it seems they are falling behind. They also always had good reception on the products they are releasing and it always just worked. Now people are getting upset/disappointed in their new products and they seem to have more and more issues. They need to take a step back and get back to what made them popular and what made people like them to begin with. They are still popular, but it seems more and more people are having issues with them.

So i see this as a good thing and hopefully things will turn around and Apple will be come a better company. Do better/right by their consumers, stop bashing the competition so much and worry more about what they are doing, and give the people more. No leaving out key features in the first gen of the product (while others include these features by default) and then making people pay $$$ for those features in V2 of the product with little other changes.

Apple can stay closed for all I care. What makes them, them, and if people want to be more open and do different things, they will choose a different platform. Its all about preference and what you want to do. Why when people ask me if they should choose Apple or something else...I give my opinion but then ask them what they want to do and make them do a little research themselves to make sure they know what they are getting and that what they are getting is what they really want.

I doubt Steve Jobs minds either, being dead and all, but I get your point (point being, that Stallman is a dick and doesn't care if people think so).

On a side note, just gonna leave this here:

Oh god.. did he really eat that thing he dug out between his toes?!!?!?!? Disgusting!

With hundreds of different devices and choices and variations and different looks and launchers and so on...

Sorry, you can't spin that it's the same as iOS because it's not. It's infinitely better. It's about the choice, not the platform necessarily (but even there Android is WHOPPING iOS ass in features and everything else. That's why Apple is desperately copying everything from Android now and trying to make it same on iOS). If iOS was licensed to other smartphone manufacturers none of this would be an issue.. But since you are forced to repurchase the same devices over and over again with ZERO other choices, it's the worst possible lock-in in the tech world.

Actually, Windows Phone 7 / Microsoft is doing it the right way. Even though they are proprietary they understand that CHOICE in HARDWARE is very important!

Android has the upper edge on both of those proprietary mobile OS platforms because it's infinitely customizable and you can run apps from anywhere and have complete 100% freedom. If you are a noob and don't want to mess around by downloading apps from the web for your phone you still have an option to use curated and approved app stores for Android but if you know what you are doing you have the ability to do whatever you want with the phone.

Either way, this is really getting tiring. You will never win this argument because you are grasping at straws to justify Apple's completely anti-consumer behavior. It's the worst and most locked down mobile platform that also limits you to 1 device. END OF STORY.

The original post was you'd have to rebuy all your Apps if you moved to Android from a locked down iOS.

Tell me oh wonderful Boz, if I'm moving from Android to iOS how does Android enable me to not have to rebuy those same Apps?

It Doesn't, so he was wrong. END OF STORY.

Here it is again:

People are locked into Apple products such as iPhone, iPad and iPods because those apps work only on iOS. 80% of the apps on the iOS App Store costs $$ (please read some market research). If you have been on a contract for 2 years with AT&T with an iPhone and have been downloading/buying apps from the iOS app store, would you be willing to buy or download those apps/alternatives again from the Android Market all over again once you have done so already for iOS? Majority of people would not, which infers a lock-in. Your "free will" concept doesn't apply here.

In this, people are as much locked into Android as the Apple.

Imagine putting in place restrictions on products a consumer can freely choose whether to buy or not. You know, it's almost as though Apple is a business trying to make a profit! For shame Apple. This Stillman guy is correct - it's out right to do whatever the hell we want with any product, and if the companies don't like it then we'll either steal their property or drive them bankrupt. Power to the (mindless) people!!

Imagine putting in place restrictions on products a consumer can freely choose whether to buy or not. You know, it's almost as though Apple is a business trying to make a profit! For shame Apple. This Stillman guy is correct - it's out right to do whatever the hell we want with any product, and if the companies don't like it then we'll either steal their property or drive them bankrupt. Power to the (mindless) people!!

Congratulations on somehow managing to bring piracy into a topic where it has no relevance.

Stallman and people like him wouldn't pirate software anyway, as far as they're concerned if the source isn't public then the software is pretty much malware in their eyes.

Congratulations on somehow managing to bring piracy into a topic where it has no relevance. Stallman and people like him wouldn't pirate software anyway, as far as they're concerned if the source isn't public then the software is pretty much malware in their eyes.

Where did I mention piracy?

Let me spell the scenario out for some of you obviously simple-minded people who don't comprehend simple logic:

Apple makes products with certain limitations. You as a consumer can choose whether to buy those products or not. End of story. Apple is not forcing you or anyone else to buy these products. They are popular because people want simplified technology for relatively straightforward tasks. If you don't like that, that's your problem, not Apple's. Apple's limitations are obviously there for a reason, and companies often enforce limitations on their products in order to make money -- GASP!!

Now I don't particularly like Apple products, but I recognize that the choice is there for people, and when ignorant Android/MS/Linux fanboys make out like Apple is "jailing" technology, it really makes me sick. Particularly when this whale-sized Stillman character comes out and says something stupid about someone who's contributed more to technological innovation than his own bloated self. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making technology accessible, and furthermore it takes a whole lot of moxy to actually turn a vision into a physical product. Lots of dreamers, very few doers. And Jobs was a dreamer who actually did the things he dreamed of.

Simple version of the above post for the illiterates: Don't like Apple? Don't buy Apple. Noone is forcing you. Easy? Easy. Done.

<snip>

Oh gee, I don't know. Maybe the part where you said "either steal their property"?

You're so angry you're not even thinking straight, bravo. Might want to wipe some of the spit off your monitor.

You should probably reconsider flinging around the term "simple-minded" when it's clear that you're just looking in the mirror. :laugh:

Really, the same point stands for both Android and WM7, those apps will only work on windows or android phones, if you buy them you are locked into them same platforms, you will have to redownload/buy them if you want to move to iOS, the same kind of lock in your are aruging about. Straw man argument.

Not really: Dalvik has already been ported (or re-implemented, or virtualized) to several platforms, and more are coming:

http://www.myriadgro...ien-Dalvik.aspx

http://www.engadget....-windows-pcs-o/