Odd file renaming problem

I've never had this happen before in the many years that I've used a computer. Can't help but think it was something I did though!

So I made a new folder on my desktop. Oops, somehow managed to click off of it when I was naming it. So I clicked the text again allowing me to name it correctly and I did.

Then about an hour later, I noticed that ALL of my desktop files and folders had been renamed to "the filename (1), the filename (2), the filename (3)" etc ("the filename" simply being what I called the file.)

The sort of behaviour that usually happens if you try and copy a load of duplicate content into a single folder and tell explorer to keep both files.

Any ideas on why this might have happened so I don't do it again?!

Thanks!

It happened due to multi-file renaming feature of Windows. When you accidentally clicked outside while renaming the folder, all other files and folders got selected and when you clicked on the folder to rename it again, you set the new name and all other files and folders got the same name appended by a number.

Actually Windows allows you to rename multiple files/folder in a single step. Select all files and folders which you want to rename and then rename any one of those selected file and all other files/folders will get renamed automatically using the same name format. Like you renamed one file as pic.jpg, then other files will be renamed to pic (1).jpg, pic (2).jpg, pic (3).jpg and so on...

Are you sure this is right? I would have thought this would have happened at some point in the past if that's what happened :s

I mean, the folder I was replacing was on a secondary monitor to all the other files (still all on the desktop), I don't see how clicking off of the icon which I was naming would select everything unless it is a bug?