iPhone Overheating?

Why would a phone overheat?

-------

Sent from another phone

post-317332-0-59693500-1318208680.jpg

Edited by SHoTTa35
Removed 4S as this happens to all iPhones

Umm, short circuit is generally the main reason but i guess bad software not allowing the CPU to sleep is another? :blink:

Oh just saw your image. In cases where the phone is hot from being left in the car or other general areas where it's warm (pockets included) - whenever you try to charge it it will put that warning up.

However, who says that's an iPhone 4S?

Moved to iPhone/iOS Discussion.

Umm, short circuit is generally the main reason but i guess bad software not allowing the CPU to sleep is another? :blink:

Moved to iPhone/iOS Discussion.

Yeah could be iOS5

Nothing new, my old iPhone 4 used to overheat / display that message several times a day while travelling through hotter countries (one of the main reasons I switched to a different phone).

I'd rather have it sense temperature and shut itself down rather than let itself burn up.

With all the power packed inside modern phones, it would be stupid not to continuously check this.

I'd rather have it sense temperature and shut itself down rather than let itself burn up.

With all the power packed inside modern phones, it would be stupid not to continuously check this.

Well generally speaking the hottest part of a phone is/should be the battery. If the internals start over heating then you'd be screwed anyway.

Well generally speaking the hottest part of a phone is/should be the battery. If the internals start over heating then you'd be screwed anyway.

Right, but the heat still has to go somewhere. And with processors being clocked higher and higher, more heat comes along with it.

That picture looks like it came from an Apple store. I've had this warning before, it happens when the iPhone gets too hot. People reported the same thing with the iPad when they would take it outside to use it.

Edit: I've also had this happen on Android phones too.

Looks like someone took a pic of iphone 4s at the store which you see the ceiling light reflection in the picture and poster/flyer in the upper left corner.

They have iPhone 4S sitting in Apple stores somewhere i'm not aware of? :blink:

They have iPhone 4S sitting in Apple stores somewhere i'm not aware of? :blink:

You never know... maybe in some states, some stores get ready to sell them early... while other stores sell theirs in middle of month. Unless one of the employees took the picture as mentioned above. Maybe other countries get theirs early... who knows..

Edit: Unless, someone took that picture which is actually an iPhone 4 ...and tell us that it is an iPhone 4S to tell people not to buy due to an overheat problem...

As far as I know the only people who might even have an iPhone 4S at this point are major journalists (WSJ, NYT) who will be releasing reviews when the phones go on sale. There's nothing in the picture to show that it isn't just an iPhone 4.

Secondly this isn't a new message for iOS devices. People noticed it with iPads when they used them or left them in direct sunlight or a hot car.

Why would a phone overheat?

Really? Modern smartphones have high capacity batteries that they use quite heavily. They have CPUs and GPUs with the power that not too many years ago were the realm of full laptops and desktops, plus chips for GPS and communications. Most modern smartphones will get pretty warm in your hand when doing things that put a lot of strain on the battery, like streaming video over the cell network. They also get shoved in pockets and left in cars. There are lots of reasons for a phone to be able to detect high heat levels and protect itself by shutting down if necessary.