VB.Net service to send xml email from MSMQ

Question

I have created a MSMQ server and written VB.NET code to drop an XML file into a private queue in the following format:

<emailRequest>

<senderName>Tester</senderName>

<senderAddr>sender@thedomain.com</senderAddr>

<subject>Test Subject</subject>

<body>This is a test</body>

<recipients>receiver@domain.com</recipients>

</emailRequest>

I need some guidance on creating a VB.NET windows service that checks the private queue for messages, processes them out sends them out via our SMTP server. I've had a good look around the Internet but can't find a definitive guide. Can you point me in the right direction, or even provide some code examples?

6 answers to this question

SMTP is a stateful connection - so is too slow. I want it to drop XML files into MSMQ and have a service process the email which in some cases will be bulk sends.

We use MSMQ together with C# to do something similar. I've never used NServiceBus, but it sounds a bit complicated for what you're trying to do.

Writing my own handler for writing and reading for the MSMQ took about 100 lines of code. The handler will fetch an item from the queue send it for processing.

Since my code is C# I won't share it, but there's some basic useage info using Visual Basic on this page: http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0599/msmq/msmq.aspx

Hope that helps you out.

I don't know MSMQ, but since you've written the code to put the XML message into the queue, you should be able to write the code to get it out and process it.

Once you have your batch of XML messages, you will want to loop through them and use the System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient class to do the actual heavy lifting.

Here is a snippet from MSDN:

Public Shared Sub CreateTestMessage2(ByVal server As String)

Dim [to] As String = "jane@contoso.com"

Dim [from] As String = "ben@contoso.com"

Dim message As New MailMessage([from], [to])

message.Subject = "Using the new SMTP client."

message.Body = "Using this new feature, you can send an e-mail message from an application very easily."

Dim client As New SmtpClient(server)

' Credentials are necessary if the server requires the client

' to authenticate before it will send e-mail on the client's behalf.

client.UseDefaultCredentials = True

Try

client.Send(message)

Catch ex As Exception

Console.WriteLine("Exception caught in CreateTestMessage2(): {0}", ex.ToString())

End Try

End Sub

I imagine you would call this Sub from inside your loop.

Question, with MSMQ can you queue up objects or is it limited to XML? If it can handle objects, maybe adding MailMessage objects directly into the queue might make the service a bit simpler. You would then only have to pull out all the MailMessage objects and fire them at .Send() method. Either way, you are going to have to create MailMessage objects on one side of MSMQ.

With MSMQ you can queue anything as long as you know how you serialized it. You can even put objects of different types into the same queue, and the queue also has a priority system you can take advantage of (urgent mails can get high pri and will be withdrawn from the queue before other mail).

If more than one program will access the queue, raw objects are perhaps not the best way to go. You'll be better off with XML then, since the job of actually setting up the Message for sending is not the hard part of this program.