Headphones Question

My cat chewed through the headphone wire of my headset overnight.

So I stripped back the cord to the wires, there was a blue, red and gold one. I joined the wires together and tried them out but they didn't work.

It's worked lots of times before but is there a reason they wouldn't this time? IE, because they are stereo headphones, would the wires be shielded from each other, therefore although I joined red to red, blue to blue, I didn't really shield them.

Sorry, I know it's a bit bland, but I was just wondering.

Thanks

Long ago I was in the exact same situation that you're in. I tried soldering it but all I could get to work was the right ear. My suggestion is buy a new pair or have them sent in to get repaired.

trim the frayed ends of the cable, strip the plastic coating so you got a good length of copper cable.. twist both ends together tight and use heatshrink tubing to cover the repair

don't be desperate Spoon, not worth the hassle. get new headphones and try to teach your cat not to do these things. or keep then next headphones out of reach.

EDIT: also a good case for generic $10-20 headphones...better lose one of those than a $50 pair of Sennheisers or something. Just buy new ones on the cheap and you're set.