EDIT: At least the speeds are good, solid 2.1MB/s down (only paying for 10Mbps, which is 1.25MB/s), surprised its not slow with the amount of people likely downloading the demo right now.

Origin actually works fine, which surprised me quite a lot when I was contemplating on buying BF3 for the PC. The moaning comes from people who have nothing better to do in their life but cry about everything.

I really wish EA wouldn't be so picky about their delivery service, never had any major problems with Steam myself, but instead EA has to release their own similar delivery system and force people to use it to play their games......will definitely uninstall it once I'm done the demo though.

Considering it's still up on everything but Steam they aren't forcing you to use Origin at all. (To play yes, but not at purchase time at any rate.)

Origin actually works fine, which surprised me quite a lot when I was contemplating on buying BF3 for the PC. The moaning comes from people who have nothing better to do in their life but cry about everything.

It's not that I'm expecting or thinking its a bad service, its just I don't like having to run 2 different services that perform the same basic function.

Considering it's still up on everything but Steam they aren't forcing you to use Origin at all. (To play yes, but not at purchase time at any rate.)

I'm talking about to play EA games in general (not any specific games, but all their newer games), yes, you do need Origin, which I find somewhat annoying as Steam provides the same service......I guess it's only natural, since they are both distributors, for them to both progress to digital distribution (though Valve wins big-time as being the first major distributor to do so), but its frustrating to think that each different publisher/distributor will have their own service....pretty soon were going to need 3-4 digital distribution services on our systems to obtain and play any games.

Part way through the demo (did the entire first part) and it definitely seems like a ME game, graphics look virtually the same as the last one IMHO.....the character selection process changed a bit, a couple more options (maybe its because I didn't have an old save to work off of?), though I'm pretty interested in exactly what the different options for gameplay does, it seems like there's a traditional ME gameplay, then one more combat oriented (less story), then one focused more on story (and less combat). Wonder just how much it changes.....anyone try out any of the others yet?

Wasn't really a fan of Mass Effect 2. I'm not sure why, I tried playing through it twice and both times I stopped playing at around the same point. I tried the Mass Effect 3 demo and it feels almost exactly like Mass Effect 2 so I'll probably end up passing on it. I can see it's a good game, it's just not for me I think.

Wasn't really a fan of Mass Effect 2. I'm not sure why, I tried playing through it twice and both times I stopped playing at around the same point. I tried the Mass Effect 3 demo and it feels almost exactly like Mass Effect 2 so I'll probably end up passing on it. I can see it's a good game, it's just not for me I think.

You are not alone, I just cannot get into the games, and I really did try. Just not my cup of tea. It really comes down to just to much talking and **** to remember. It is the same reason I also do not play Skyrim.

If these games came out 10-15 years ago when I had time to play such games, I am sure I would have enjoyed them. But I find it near impossible to get into these types of games when at best I play 2 hours straight in a gaming session, and it is usually more like 30-60 minutes. Just near impossible to enjoy games such as ME3 and Skyrim when only played in small chunks.

Honestly though if these games did appeal to me, I am sure I would find a way to make them work. It is really just the whole talking aspect of them that I am not into at all.

But I find it near impossible to get into these types of games when at best I play 2 hours straight in a gaming session, and it is usually more like 30-60 minutes.

There's always Plants and Zombies style games for people who don't have time ;-)

I just finished playing the demo and I am more than impressed. BioWare has really outdone themselves with Mass Effect 3. They managed to improve it in just about every way over Mass Effect 2. Everything from the graphics and animations to the sounds and dialogue has been greatly improved. I'm so glad that I played the previous Mass Effect games. I think that in order to truly enjoy Mass Effect 3, you really need to play the previous games. I can't wait to see how all my decisions affect the story.

I just finished playing the demo and I am more than impressed. BioWare has really outdone themselves with Mass Effect 3. They managed to improve it in just about every way over Mass Effect 2. Everything from the graphics and animations to the sounds and dialogue has been greatly improved. I'm so glad that I played the previous Mass Effect games. I think that in order to truly enjoy Mass Effect 3, you really need to play the previous games. I can't wait to see how all my decisions affect the story.

Same. Although I'm not really a fan of them flat out calling heat sinks "ammo" now. There isn't supposed to be ammo in the ME universe. I wasn't really a fan of the mechanic change in ME2, but at least they steered clear of referring to it as "ammo". Now, they just don't care, and it kind of irks me a little.

But overall, the demo was good. I played whichever mode is the "real" way to play. I'll probably go back through on the story mode and action mode later tonight. I'm interested to see how it changes.

Agreed. It was so incredibly polished and cinematic. Can't wait!

Same. Although I'm not really a fan of them flat out calling heat sinks "ammo" now. There isn't supposed to be ammo in the ME universe. I wasn't really a fan of the mechanic change in ME2, but at least they steered clear of referring to it as "ammo". Now, they just don't care, and it kind of irks me a little.

But overall, the demo was good. I played whichever mode is the "real" way to play. I'll probably go back through on the story mode and action mode later tonight. I'm interested to see how it changes.

One thing I loved about Mass Effect was the unlimited ammo. The shift to thermal clips annoyed me when I played Mass Effect 2 for the first time. Now, I'm quite used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. Technically, you're right that it shouldn't be referred to as ammo. We know that ammo is unlimited in the Mass Effect universe. The average person that plays Mass Effect 3 wouldn't know that though. To them, picking up a thermal clip in order to fire more rounds means picking up ammo (which isn't the case). I guess that's why they refer to it as ammo instead of thermal clips. It seems to me that it was a one-time thing. I doubt they'd give you hints to pick up "ammo" in any level beyond the first one.

The co-op multiplayer part was fun too. (Y)

One thing I loved about Mass Effect was the unlimited ammo. The shift to thermal clips annoyed me when I played Mass Effect 2 for the first time. Now, I'm quite used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. Technically, you're right that it shouldn't be referred to as ammo. We know that ammo is unlimited in the Mass Effect universe. The average person that plays Mass Effect 3 wouldn't know that though. To them, picking up a thermal clip in order to fire more rounds means picking up ammo (which isn't the case). I guess that's why they refer to it as ammo instead of thermal clips. It seems to me that it was a one-time thing. I doubt they'd give you hints to pick up "ammo" in any level beyond the first one.

The co-op multiplayer part was fun too. (Y)

True enough. People new to the franchise wouldn't know the difference. So I guess it makes logical sense from their perspective. However, I am a huge fan of the series predominantly because of the lore. I think the Mass Effect games have such great story and characters. The amount of periphery information contained in the games (and even in the books) just make it that much better. It's enthralling. It's just disappointing to see Bioware change it. Even something some "small" as that. I just hope they didn't change anything truly important.

When and if I buy this game the one thing I'll look forward to the most is punching that reporter lady in the face again. It's gotta happen.

When and if I buy this game the one thing I'll look forward to the most is punching that reporter lady in the face again. It's gotta happen.

It would be funny if, just as you were about to, she got impaled by a Banshee.

Just played the demo.

Actresses look like they all had bizzare plastic surgery and look so fake. I thought they got the models about right in Mass Effect 2. The alien ones look well done though, human ones look really bad (even Shep looks akward).

Story looks meh, same thing all over again. Not sure why they didn't do something original. But no, Repers, Cerberus and the same old charactors. Why not do an expansion?

Sorry to sound so critical so early, but I expect more from a great original game that was mass effect. Seems to have got the 'mass market effect' this time. Similar to how 2 was poorer than the first. Good budget != good game.

Story looks meh, same thing all over again. Not sure why they didn't do something original. But no, Repers, Cerberus and the same old charactors. Why not do an expansion?

Sorry to sound so critical so early, but I expect more from a great original game that was mass effect. Seems to have got the 'mass market effect' this time. Similar to how 2 was poorer than the first. Good budget != good game.

That's because the first two have been hyping up to the arrival of the reapers. I and anyone else who paid attention to the story in the first two would have been sorely disappointed if the 3rd didn't bring about the arrival of the reapers.

Just played the demo.

Actresses look like they all had bizzare plastic surgery and look so fake. I thought they got the models about right in Mass Effect 2. The alien ones look well done though, human ones look really bad (even Shep looks akward).

I thought shepard's model looked a lot better. No more creepy serial killer eyes/smile.

I thought ME3 looked pretty good. Better animations and textures all around.

Only thing that bothered me is the retarded sprint animation. Seriously what the hell?

True enough. People new to the franchise wouldn't know the difference. So I guess it makes logical sense from their perspective. However, I am a huge fan of the series predominantly because of the lore. I think the Mass Effect games have such great story and characters. The amount of periphery information contained in the games (and even in the books) just make it that much better. It's enthralling. It's just disappointing to see Bioware change it. Even something some "small" as that. I just hope they didn't change anything truly important.

Me too. The lore is what really got me hooked with the first game. I agree though, it would've been perfect if they got the small details right.

Ah, I'll never forget Khalisah bint Sanin Al-Jilani of Westurland News. I definitely had enough of her "disingenuous assertions".

I thought shepard's model looked a lot better. No more creepy serial killer eyes/smile.

I thought ME3 looked pretty good. Better animations and textures all around.

Only thing that bothered me is the retarded sprint animation. Seriously what the hell?

Yeah, Shepard definitely looks better in this one. His eyes have a noticeable shine to them which eliminates the creepiness it had in Mass Effect 1 & 2. As for the sprint animation, I thought it looked better than the one in Mass Effect 2.

Anyway, has anyone played the demo with anti-aliasing enabled (in-game)? It does a good job at smoothing out the edges out but I don't know if it's a post-process effect like FXAA/MLAA or standard MSAA. I know that MSAA isn't possible with Unreal Engine 3 in DX9 mode; however, it can be enabled in DX10 mode (e.g. Gears of War for PC). My guess is that it's a post-process effect. I'd be surprised if BioWare added DX10 support to the Mass Effect 3 engine.

Frickin' love the demo. Just been playing some multiplayer tonight with a few friends.

The multiplayer mode is definitely as good as the horde mode in Gears of War, if not better. Haven't touched the singleplayer part yet, but will do that tomorrow.

SIngle player was kind of meh to me. It literally feels like playing the first two - run around corner, engage in stretched out shooting section where enemies spawn in multiple waves to slow down progression, run around next corner, repeat. I'm still going to play it for the story, but the actual gameplay leaves a lot to be desired at the moment for me.

• Like 1

Me too. The lore is what really got me hooked with the first game. I agree though, it would've been perfect if they got the small details right.

Ah, I'll never forget Khalisah bint Sanin Al-Jilani of Westurland News. I definitely had enough of her "disingenuous assertions".

Yeah, Shepard definitely looks better in this one. His eyes have a noticeable shine to them which eliminates the creepiness it had in Mass Effect 1 & 2. As for the sprint animation, I thought it looked better than the one in Mass Effect 2.

Anyway, has anyone played the demo with anti-aliasing enabled (in-game)? It does a good job at smoothing out the edges out but I don't know if it's a post-process effect like FXAA/MLAA or standard MSAA. I know that MSAA isn't possible with Unreal Engine 3 in DX9 mode; however, it can be enabled in DX10 mode (e.g. Gears of War for PC). My guess is that it's a post-process effect. I'd be surprised if BioWare added DX10 support to the Mass Effect 3 engine.

Yeah, I'd wager its most likely FXAA or MLAA. It looks pretty good. FXAA is becoming very common in new games. If it was MSAA it would probably have more options (2x/4x ect...)

I was impressed that ME3 had noticeable graphics improvements, and it seems to have the same performance as me2 did.