Well, because you need it to actually update your iOS4 to 5 and be able to do tasks like synching.

iOS5 needs iTunes 10.5 in every aspect.

Uhm so yea, they kind of have to.

Glassed Silver:mac

Ummmm, my pointtttt was that without iOS 5 theres no need in having 10.5. Unless you don't think you can install 10.5 and install iOS 5 right after each other, you actually need to install 10.5 a full 24hrs before..

Ummmm, my pointtttt was that without iOS 5 theres no need in having 10.5. Unless you don't think you can install 10.5 and install iOS 5 right after each other, you actually need to install 10.5 a full 24hrs before..

This way I bet they want to ensure people jump on the iOS5 ship as soon as possible, as the iTunes update mechanism might take a few hours to be activated in iTunes (cause it might have checked Apple's servers JUST before iTunes 10.5 release) and hence offer you the update.

It does make sense.

Not everyone reads tech blogs and the like to get the news "fast enough".

Rather pump it out sooner than later.

Also, why do you think iOS5 compatibility is the only thing added?

Surely they have fixed one or two bugs, too. So why hold back?

Glassed Silver:mac

Real shame Apple still hasn't enhanced iTunes' interface with animations. Is as static as it has ever been... Also the scroll elastic effect only works vertical but not horizontally. Gooooo Apple!

Is it true that Quicktime is no longer installed with iTunes? (or it just "hidden")

It's true.QuickTime is no longer installed. i spotted this from Apple Software Update at the bottom of the release notes (Note: iTunes 10.5 no longer requires or includes QuickTime)

Friend updating to iTunes 10.5 on OS X Lion is getting err code 42804, any ideas?

Try to download iTunes from apple website, and install it from there (not from the software update).

Real shame Apple still hasn't enhanced iTunes' interface with animations. Is as static as it has ever been... Also the scroll elastic effect only works vertical but not horizontally. Gooooo Apple!

Your expectations on this release were way too high. Apple doesn’t want to rewrite parts of iTunes to include animations - it takes some of their precious time after all.

Maybe you’ll have optimizations, animations and interface updates with iTunes 11 in 2012 or 2013… Maybe.

It's true.QuickTime is no longer installed. i spotted this from Apple Software Update at the bottom of the release notes (Note: iTunes 10.5 no longer requires or includes QuickTime)

If it doesn't include quicktime how can I watch videos etc without interrupting my iTunes playlist?

If it doesn't include quicktime how can I watch videos etc without interrupting my iTunes playlist?

You're on a Mac, aren't you? QuickTime X is a part of the system, and iTunes does use it. :p

iTunes doesn't require QuickTime on Windows anymore (I'm assuming they just moved the libraries inside of iTunes).

Maybe you’ll have optimizations, animations and interface updates with iTunes 11 in 2012 or 2013… Maybe.

Not sure I get Apple's versioning anymore. No Safari 6 this year and no iTunes 11. :/

i know this is the mac section, but can somebody test something out on the windows version of iTunes for me? not sure it my install got screwed...

basically, in the column browser, if i press e.g. "f" on my keyboard it jumps to the first artist beginning with "f", but then if i try and scroll with my mouse from that point, it jumps back to the top of the artist list (rather than scrolling on from "f")... hope you understand what i mean.

scrolling in the main tracklisting bit works fine, this only occurs in the column browser / filter

basically, in the column browser, if i press e.g. "f" on my keyboard it jumps to the first artist beginning with "f", but then if i try and scroll with my mouse from that point, it jumps back to the top of the artist list (rather than scrolling on from "f")...

Same bug in OS X.

i know this is the mac section, but can somebody test something out on the windows version of iTunes for me? not sure it my install got screwed...

basically, in the column browser, if i press e.g. "f" on my keyboard it jumps to the first artist beginning with "f", but then if i try and scroll with my mouse from that point, it jumps back to the top of the artist list (rather than scrolling on from "f")... hope you understand what i mean.

scrolling in the main tracklisting bit works fine, this only occurs in the column browser / filter

I don't have this problem in Lion...

Not sure I get Apple's versioning anymore. No Safari 6 this year and no iTunes 11. :/

Hasn't really been Apple's best year. No product they've launched this year has impressed me a lot, and I had too high expectations of Lion... They have lost touch with the desktop, it seems all is on mobile devices now. :/

Same bug in OS X.

I don't have this problem in Lion...

yeah, same issue on my mac (lion), so looks like its not an install problem for me, which is good. still, the bug is bad...

reason i couldn't check my own mac before was because i had no music on it, but i just shared my windows library to it....