best sat nav app

just wanting to know what the best sat nav for iPhone is

I've read a few mixed reviews and threads but would like to know from users experience on here :)

thanks

TomTom and then Navigon if you can still get that. I know Garmin gobbled them up.

Haven't seen CoPilot in action so can't speak of that one.

so it seems tom-tom n copilot seem to be the 2 favs from what I've read n from few replays here :) just got to decide on which to go for now :wacko:

TomTom and copilot are great If you wanna pay £50...

Have a look at NavFree 1st its done with open source mapping so sometimes has a little glitch here or there, but overall I've not really had any problems with it.

and its free so give it a go before paying out for one.

Not sure where your from but all the locations are here with links to the appstore

TomTom and copilot are great If you wanna pay £50...

Have a look at NavFree 1st its done with open source mapping so sometimes has a little glitch here or there, but overall I've not really had any problems with it.

and its free so give it a go before paying out for one.

Not sure where your from but all the locations are here with links to the appstore

looks interesting thanks but is it ios5 compatible since thats out sometime today ??

looks interesting thanks but is it ios5 compatible since thats out sometime today ??

I'll let you know as soon as I get iOS5...but I should think so.

Tomtom is DEFINITELY the way to go, ive tried them all, I had tomtom on pirate, however it was so good that I bought it, worth every penny. The HD traffic is amazing!

Get it, spend the extra bob on something that's worthwhile.

The Maps app?

yea could use the built in maps app but i need voice navigation as i would rather be aware of whats going on while driving then looking at a phone

Yup, navfree seems to be working fine on iOS 5! either way its free so might as well give it a go.

will give it ago! but I've been reading into it more and seen a few reports that it gives longer routes for destinations thus using more fuel then needed :(

Why doesn't Google make a navigation app that blows the others out of the water?

Because right now they have a navigation app for all Android phones for free. It's a selling point for Android, so not something that they probably want to bring to the iPhone.

As for the best app, I have used Co-Pilot on both WM6 and also Android and love it. Certainly worth the small price that it is. Also 30% off at the moment too.

Tomtom is DEFINITELY the way to go, ive tried them all, I had tomtom on pirate, however it was so good that I bought it, worth every penny. The HD traffic is amazing!

Get it, spend the extra bob on something that's worthwhile.

me too :D

• 2 weeks later...

tom-tom or google maps. both update quicker then any navteq based map apps.

bing, nokia,mapquest, and navigon apps use navteq, and what's bad about them is you have to wait for them to issue updates.

tom-tom uses mapshare where users can make changes to the maps and you get faster updates or you can even do it yourself.

and google gets more update feedback and is the most responsive with map changes. my corrections have gotten issued and on the site in like 2 or 3 days. navteq will often take 4-12 weeks for most changes.

the frequency of updates are the most important thing for map apps. don't drive with outdated data.

Why doesn't Google make a navigation app that blows the others out of the water?

Google maps is excellent IMO.

We have a Garmin Satnav but I prefer Google Maps on my HTC Desire. Traffic reports are accurate and have successfully used it to navigate around traffic Jams. Love it.

Great price too!! :rofl:

I have devices that use both maping systems and find little difference in this area. Navteq can't be too bad - most of the automakers, Garmin and UPS use it in spite of it being more expensive. That said, Bing Maps isn't the only option - you can swap between Google, Bing or MotionX's maps. If GPS is blocked of weak it'll use cell tower triangulation.

motionxmaps.jpg

I just think the navteq people are scared of the area I live in. LOL... and there's like 24 6th ave's and 18 2nd streets.... mabye that's why navteq is scared...

Thing about MotionX GPS & Drive is you can download their maps with variable precision, and download more detailed local maps without duplicating waypoints. If I tried to d/l the eastern US in hires it would run terabytes so I use a normal detail for most, but for local & destinations along the way a higher precision. Works on iPad too.

Tell ya what if you want a free turn by turn voice nav app then check out Waze. Its definitely different, it has a social interaction, where people can actually input where cops are, or where an accident is, and it will show it instantly on your screen so you know what to look out for.

For a free nav app, it is pretty nice. I am using it .