Notice: Harmful site blocked?

Sometimes we get reports about virus (web) scanners marking something on Neowin as a harmful or malicious website.

This almost always has to do with member signatures that are hosted on external websites. We also allow PHP generated signature images, and when they are hosted on flagged sites, a virus scanner will throw up an alert.

Remember that you can also choose to disable all signatures, it saves bandwidth, and pages load quicker when external content isn't loaded.

On any forum post, click the little x on the right, and you can either disable that persons signature, or all:

.post-2-0-74796200-1318410307.png

You can re-enable all signatures from the My Settings page: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=ignoredusers

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

It's a feature that was introduced with the IPB 3.2 upgrade (If I'm not mistaken) which makes it much quicker and easier to disable signatures. I personally leave them enabled because they're an identifier for me along with the avatar of a user so I know who's posted.

Thankfully I have only seen these messages once or twice. However, it is nice to see something being done about it.

• 1 month later...

Best thing for something like this would be to auto-disable signatures when a user is not signed in to the website, so sites like Google don't decide to give warnings about viewing the site. However, I've never seen this issue arise so it's not really a big deal.

Have to say it's a good feature, but that said, you get used to all the different sigs and without them things look weird.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I disable them. Specially on users showing their speedtest 90mbps connection ;)

Not to mention the people who show off their apparently amazing Pc's/Laptops - Intel core i7's, with 3.7GHz processor. 16gb ram and 2gb graphics card. Not to forget the 2TB hard-drives.

Not to mention the people who show off their apparently amazing Pc's/Laptops - Intel core i7's, with 3.7GHz processor. 16gb ram and 2gb graphics card. Not to forget the 2TB hard-drives.

I'll take the hardware text only signatures over the flashing banner ad style signatures any day.

Also 16GiB isn't enough, 24GiB is enough - barely. VMware sucks memory like no other when running a few test boxes parallel ;>

I'll take the hardware text only signatures over the flashing banner ad style signatures any day.

Also 16GiB isn't enough, 24GiB is enough - barely. VMware sucks memory like no other when running a few test boxes parallel ;>

I prefer saving my band-sandwiches for something a little more productive.