Grand Theft Auto III coming to mobile devices

10 years ago, this month, the revolutionary open-world epic Grand Theft Auto III was released to the world – a game that set players loose as a small-time criminal at the bottom of the food chain in Liberty City, a sprawling metropolis where anything can happen – and probably will.

To commemorate the game’s 10th anniversary, we’re proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto III will be coming to select new generation iOS and Android devices later this fall. For the lineup of devices currently confirmed to be supported at launch, check the list below and stay tuned for more devices to be announced:

Apple iOS Devices: iPad 2, iPhone 4S

Android Phones: Droid X2, HTC Evo 2, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Galaxy S2

Android Tablets: Acer Iconia, Asus Eee Pad, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

(Source) Rock Star Games

GTA3Ann_collage.jpg

Edited by littleneutrino

100 years ago, this month, the revolutionary open-world epic Grand Theft Auto III was released to the world – a game that set players loose as a small-time criminal at the bottom of the food chain in Liberty City, a sprawling metropolis where anything can happen – and probably will.

I would be 122 years old if I pre-ordered this game for my PS, which I remember doing :p

I would be 122 years old if I pre-ordered this game for my PS, which I remember doing :p

lol corrected the typo, I didn't even notice that.

Grand Theft Auto III Getting Android and iPhone 4S Versions, Pricey Action Figure

(I am really surprised this has not been posted yet)

Rockstar Games revealed today that it would be honoring Grand Theft Auto III's 10th anniversary with a special edition. Later this fall, it's coming to an array of portable devices for Android, but fewer ones for iOS.

"Grand Theft Auto III showed us the potential of open world games," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games in an official release. "It helped set the vision for the company, and we have been expanding on those possibilities with every game ever since."

GTA III will be released on the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S. That's it. If you've got an iPhone 4, then it looks like you are out of luck.

It's coming to more Android phones, such as Droid X2, HTC Evo 2, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, and Samsung Galaxy S2. It's also headed to Android tablets like Acer Iconia, Asus Eee Pad, Motorola Xoom, and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

The game's anniversary doesn't stop at smartphone ports. Rockstar is also releasing a limited-edition 1:6 scale figure of GTA III protagonist Claude. The figure comes with two sets of clothing, including his cargo pants and bomber jacket as well as his Liberty City prison uniform. Beside the clothes, it also has an array of weapons: a bat, knife, grenades, pistol, sniper rifle, and assault rifle.

Priced at US$149.99, the figure is being produced by collectible figure maker Sideshow. Rockstar is also giving one away—more details in the link below.

If you are going to the New York Comic-Con, the smartphone version will be playable at Rockstar's booth.

I am all over this for my iPad 2. One of my favorite games of all times. Crazy it has been 10 years now, as it is the game I was playing big time when me and my now wife first started dating, so it has a special place in my heart. :heart: :D

Here is the figurine for those interested in that sort of thing (Although I have to admit, even though that is not my cup of tea, it is pretty damn cool with all the weapons, etc).

100_640x360.jpg

I am curious what the pricing is going to be for the game itself. I will pretty much be buying it no matter what the price is though, unless it is truly outrageous.

Source: Kotaku

Also, a follow up article on Kotaku about playing the game today...

Hot on the heels of the announcement earlier today, Rockstar Games made the 10th anniversary edition of Grand Theft Auto IIIavailable for attendees to play. After about 10 minutes of hands-on time with the game running on an iPad 2, there's no mistaking that GTA III on iOS is a loving port of the game that catapulted Rockstar to the top echelon of game developers. The up-rezzed graphics become immediately apparent, with tons more detail on character faces and clothes. What I played of the game runs smoothly, with no hitches or freezes. A little bit of pop-up showed up while driving, but wasn't so egregious as to spoil the experience.

Control-wise, it supports either touch or accelerometer controls and will even support suction cup joysticks that attach to the tablet like the Fling. A virtual circle pad on the left controls movement with buttons on the right for running, jumping and punching. These controls pop in and out depending on context, so when a car pulls up, a car button shows up. Pushing it launches a carjack encounter, which, of course, can become a fight. Once in the car, buttons for brake, accelerator and horn pop up. The left navigation circle pad changes into two arrows for steering, too. It felt like I might like the motion control steering more but that might change with more time with the game.

Overall, Grand Theft Auto III iOS felt very close to the delivery experience by the PS2 a decade ago, except this time it's in the palm of your hand.

The graphics on the iPhone 4 are about 5 to 7x slower than the A5 in the iPhone 4S & iPad 2. So that probably explains that.

i still think it can do it judging by others game on the iphone 4... but that's just me being bitter i guess. I guess it would be more work to optimize it for the iphone 4, lazy rockstar... I'll just get it on my transformer :) i want san andreas though!

Threads Merged

(I did a search, the original did not show up)

In my post, I added a second article of their hands on time. (Y)

Also littleneutrino, FYI I deleted your post since it was linking to this thread now.

Threads Merged

(I did a search, the original did not show up)

In my post, I added a second article of their hands on time. (Y)

Also littleneutrino, FYI I deleted your post since it was linking to this thread now.

No problem, also I can understand why you didnt see it, the search has been wonky the last few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet it will be the costliest mobile game to be released. However Rockstar diversifying into mobile gaming is a good news indeed.

I bet it will be the costliest mobile game to be released. However Rockstar diversifying into mobile gaming is a good news indeed.

can't be anymore then the final fantasy games for iOS...