looking for good search engine alternatives to google

• 3 weeks later...

I have been slightly annoyed by the Google Filter Bubble that has been talked about by Eli Pariser. (TED video below if you are interested, I think it was brought up here before)

I can take my cell phone which is not signed into Google, and my PC which is also not signed into Google, cache/cookies cleared and get different results for the same query. I have found that often-times, my search results don't always match my needs with Google.

With that said - I still use Google. Why? because, they have good search results.

I have tried Duck Duck Go, and the 'others' and have gotten some pretty good results in the past, but nothing quite like what I get with Google. No, it isn't because of the filter bubble - it is because, even though my results are different on my phone and my PC, Google quite simply can lock in on text in a web page and find some obscure things.

I have also tried Bing and just can't get used to it for my tastes.

I am not trying to knock Google or any other Search engine, but am more or less just saying - go with what results you find to be the most relevant to your search needs. :)

• 7 months later...

duckduckgo is the best alternative for website search now all i need is a good image search engine then i i'll be all most google free beside for using gmail

• 11 months later...

bump

Why are you bumping a 2 year old thread, with the last reply by you 1 year ago nearly.

anyway, duckduckgo is horrible. it's set as default in the mint live distro I use on my service usb stick... well it is every time I reinstall until I change it. it's horrible, absolutely horrible, can't even find the most basic stuff and using it it feels like the browser is infected with one of those search page malwares. 

Whether you're affiliated with them or not, it's blatantly obvious that DuckDuckGo is your choice for a search engine. Every reply you made has a link to their website including a wiki link. :/ Regardless, this thread is dated.

Closed