blackcomb?

blackcomb will be the server edition of longhorn, if im not mistaken..

if i AM, then its going to be a whole new platform built from scratch.. directed towards server use

• 2 weeks later...

I read in an interview on cnet or microsoft, im not sure since it was awhile back. Longhorn was supposed to just be updated operation system between XP and Blackcomb which was supposed to be the big overhaul. But since Longhorn was now decided to be the big overhaul blackcomb will actually be a type of design and a number of overall features that will be implimented over the years. So Blackcomb wont actually be an operating system. Who knows with Microsoft if this will stick but this is the last I have heard about blackcomb from redmond. ill try to locate that article.

• 2 weeks later...

No ****, Sherlock!

Anyway...

Blackcomb is supposed to be a server-only release, but as usual, this is to be taken with a grain of salt. However that new engine thing is a rumor royal. It's rather unlikely. The NT codebase will get a major overhaul at the blackcomb time (not a completely new kernel (yet)), so the server will be the first one with a "new engine" (more like updated), followed by a client release of the same "engine". Longhorn seems to be the first step to push developers towards the managed code paradigm to allow a complete "engine change".

i clearly presume that Blackcomb is the server editions of longhorn

much like windows xp pro was the foundation to windows server 2003

once Longhorn is RTM i'm sure blackcomb will start development as they would have by then a more reformed and built kernel, off longhorn, and probably some more tweaking of it and enhancements they can build it off for a server edition.

so i assume Longhorn - Client

Blackcomb - Server

i remember like 1 yr ago i was thinking the next bang of windows will be, 3d desktop, voice activating commands, and a kernel engine written enitrely from scratch.