New Backup HDD Question

I have a question about using a new harddrive. I have currently have 2 HDD in my computer, one being the C: drive being my main drive for just the OS which is 300GB, and the second being a 1TB as the F: drive which is for everything else. I think the F: drive is starting to fail and sadly I did not create a RAID array, and I don't think it is possible to create an array without formatting the drive first, is that correct?

If so, is it possible that if I copy every single thing off the F: drive (Does not contain an OS) and put it onto a new drive that is the exact same in every way, then replace it with the current F: drive which I think is failing and use the same drive letter of F: for the new HDD, will all my programs and everything still work? To get this part clear, I am not asking to have to F: drives, I am replace the old one with new one after I copy everything off the old one onto the new one.

I am asking if all my programs will still work because that is where I have every single program installed. I have nothing installed onto the C: drive except the OS. So will all my programs and everything still work the same if I do this?

Thanks.

yep, possible. Also don't need to be exact same hard drive. Raid is not backup solution!

Install the new hard drive, copy everything, swap the letters (turn off everything running), reboot

If I were to run RAID 1, 5, 6 or 10, that would help me out. So you are sure that everything will still work if I do this? It seems logical to me.

Should work no problemo. Anything using it will be looking for the drive letter F so as long as that's the same it'll be all good.

Alright, thanks so much.

It just happened again and for the first time when I rebooted the computer, it showed me that it created 2 files with information, one being a dump file and another being a XML. Is there anyone that I could give these to so they can look at them and see what is wrong?

Yes, absolutely. However, if any of the files cannot be copied because they are on bad sectors, you might lose those files. But you can definitely move everything and use the new drive as your "F:" drive.