My iPhone says the darndest things (thanks to Siri)

The Android version, Edwin, has a lot of potential. The voice sounds just about the same, The difference is Edwin has more trouble recognizing voice commands and it cannot send text messages like Siri can. It has difficulty doing so but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. I am sure if Google dedicates enough resources to Edwin it can make it happen and it will be as good, if not better, than Siri.

See...I am not an Apple fan boy. I am fair and I believe in both platforms.

and that's my point, it makes things more natural as if you are talking to a person, where as the other apps out there make it seem you are talking to a machine.

"Voice actions" for android is every bit as natural as Siri, it just doesn't support as many things (yet). It was only added to the Android Market this month so I'm sure it'll be updated in due course.

"What time is it / what's the time / tell me the time" - it works with natural language rather than commands/keywords like other voice command implementations for Android.

Vlingo vs. voice actions:

"Text Nicole Message I love you" vs. "Tell Nicole I love her"

The Android version, Edwin, has a lot of potential. The voice sounds just about the same, The difference is Edwin has more trouble recognizing voice commands and it cannot send text messages like Siri can. It has difficulty doing so but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. I am sure if Google dedicates enough resources to Edwin it can make it happen and it will be as good, if not better, than Siri.

See...I am not an Apple fan boy. I am fair and I believe in both platforms.

"Voice actions" for android is every bit as natural as Siri, it just doesn't support as many things (yet). It was only added to the Android Market this month so I'm sure it'll be updated in due course.

"What time is it / what's the time / tell me the time" - it works with natural language rather than commands/keywords like other voice command implementations for Android.

Vlingo vs. voice actions:

"Text Nicole Message I love you" vs. "Tell Nicole I love her"

it'll get there. but right now apple has got it. thing is though, because one company is excelling at something it's only going make the other guys strive to match or make it better, which is good for all of us :)

it'll get there. but right now apple has got it. thing is though, because one company is excelling at something it's only going make the other guys strive to match or make it better, which is good for all of us :)

Agreed!

It's a shame the Galaxy S2 doesn't let me choose what app I want to open for voice control when double clicking the home button or using a bluetooth kit, as I'm stuck with crappy Vlingo which is appalling.

Yes, that is why competition is good. That is why no matter what anybody says, Microsoft will never let Apple go down the drain if it ever falls in trouble again and I am sure Apple would do the same for Microsoft. They need each other. Steve Jobs once said: "No one company can do everything". Apple is great at hardware. Microsoft is great at software.

Bill Gates once said this about Steve Jobs and Apple: "Our marriage has been kept a secret for 2 decades."

People who think Apple hates Microsoft and Microsoft Apple are wrong. They work together more than people think.

"Voice actions" for Android is natural and basically a siri copycat.

LOL what? Here we go.. Google Voice Assistant is Siri copycat! Riiiiiiight!!

That's why Google patented this in 2004 and Voice Search (which is what Siri actually is underneath) in 2006! Because it was copying Apple.

VLingo has been doing this natural speak before Apple and so did SpeakToIt which is now blowing up on Android because of Siri.

Google Voice commands/Assistant worked on Froyo 2.2 which was released years ago.

Read what I said before replying Boz, voice ACTIONS is a siri copycat.

Google didn't create voice actions and it was only released on the market on October 9. Its made by "pannous"

I said nothing about voice commands, vlingo or soeaktoit so get off your high horse. :)

Read what I said before replying Boz, voice ACTIONS is a siri copycat.

Google didn't create voice actions and it was only released on the market on October 9. Its made by "pannous"

I said nothing about voice commands, vlingo or soeaktoit so get off your high horse. :)

I don't know what you are talking about.. I've been sending email, text messages, mapping, navigation, search and other voice commands through their Voice Assistant on Android for a long time.. this is not a new thing on Android.. and who is pannous?!

http://www.google.co.../voice-actions/

The update to voice actions has been released over a year ago.. and voice commands have been introduced even earlier than that.

Voice Assistant /Actions has been updated in 2010 for Android (well over a year ago).

http://googlemobile....ce-actions.html

So the only copycat in the room is Apple.

And actually, Google voice commands are much better because they don't require you to wait after a single command.. With Google Voice commands you can say everything at once. For example, you can say, "Send an email to John with a subject "Hey there" and body "Hey dude, let's meet up later this afternoon"".

And Google Voice Assistant will fill in the whole email address, subject and body copy and send it. With SIri you have to say "Email to John", then wait for response, then say another command, then wait etc..

So Google Voice commands are more advanced in that way.

Search the market for "voice actions" and the first result is an app written by "pannous" - maybe try searching before jumping to conclusions.

I'm pretty sure Google's offering is called "voice search" not "voice actions" ...

Search the market for "voice actions" and the first result is an app written by "pannous" - maybe try searching before jumping to conclusions.

I'm pretty sure Google's offering is called "voice search" not "voice actions" ...

Again.. look at the links above.. I've answered all your illogical conclusions. You are wrong. Simple as that.

How am I wrong?! You're unbelievable...

Search the market for "voice actions" and the VERY FIRST APP is an app by someone/a company called "pannous" , not Google.

Google's voice control app is called "voice search" on my phone and vlingos is called "voice commands." Voice actions is an app made by pannous. I have all three installed and I can tell you that Google's is not installed under voice actions. That's an irrefutable fact :)

How am I wrong?! You're unbelievable...

Search the market for "voice actions" and the VERY FIRST APP is an app by someone/a company called "pannous" , not Google.

Google's voice control app is called "voice search" on my phone and vlingos is called "voice commands." Voice actions is an app made by pannous. I have all three installed and I can tell you that Google's is not installed under voice actions. That's an irrefutable fact :)

Jesus christ.. I gave you links of Voice Assistant features updated to Google's Voice Search over a YEAR ago.. and you are arguing your point by searching Android Marketplace.

You inability to see that you are wrong is silly and sad. You want so bad to be right and hope Apple invented this (when they didn't) you are looking at anything that might give you that answer. Android had voice commands/voice search for years.. and Voice assistant for over a year. I linked the official site and blog when it was announced in 2010.

I don't know what we are arguing here? Some apps submitted to the store by 3rd parties? I mean I don't get it. You finding some app in Android Market doesn't prove anything.

Google's Voice Assistant will not be in the store alone because it's a part of Android. It is part of Google Voice Search. The version on the app store for Voice Search from Google is for older phones (Froyo 2.2) if they don't have it for some reason but it comes as part of Android platform and has been for years.

You're not reading what I'm saying ffs.

I'm not talking about Google's voice assistant, I'm talking about voice actions by pannous. I'm not saying that Google are copying apple or that apple invented voice commands...just that VOICE ACTIONS BY PANNOUS IS A SIRI COPYCAT.

I said that in my first post and you still don't get it... what is wrong with you :laugh:

"Voice actions" for Android is natural and basically a siri copycat.

Well I misunderstood because Google Voice Actions for Android is this:

http://www.google.co.../voice-actions/

But regardless, SpeakToIt is an app that relies on Google Voice Commands and natural commands and even has avatars and did Siri thing before iPHone 4S. And is blowing up now on the market because nobody really cared so much.

Let's face it.. Siri is nothing original, unique or revolutionary.. It's been done, same way, even better on Android.

Just be happy you have it. You don't have to go and say how it's revolutionary and better than everything else. It's not and you will understand that sometimes it's OK to be second. Just be glad you got it at all.

Not that you will use it.. because just like Android users, this fascination will fade away after a few weeks and you will barely use it.

Google's voice assistant is called voice search not voice actions...at least on my phone :p

I would use voice actions extensively if my sgs2 let me open that instead of vlingo when I press the action button on my hands free kit, but it will only open crappy vlingo :(

Google's voice assistant is called voice search not voice actions...at least on my phone :p

I would use voice actions extensively if my sgs2 let me open that instead of vlingo when I press the action button on my hands free kit, but it will only open crappy vlingo :(

Dude, just hit MICROPHONE on Google Search Bar or an app icon Voice Search and say "Set my alarm for 7am" for example.. and the thing will do it for you.. I don't use VLingo on my SII as well as it doesn't do search and it has more limited functionality. I prefer Google Search beacuse I can issue Voice Commands plus Google search is so advanced now that it will work great with Voice Commands too.. so when I say, "Show me Real Steal movie showtimes at a zip code 85345" the thing will list the movie times for that zip code.

Voice Actions / Google Search and everything is in there. It's all merged in one.

Btw, I think the only thing Apple really nailed down is the personality aspect to Siri. Others have done it but Siri really pushed it to a level where it's definitely humorous to interact with it considering it gives you hilarious answers.

For that, we can say Apple/Siri guys did a good job.

Dude, just hit MICROPHONE on Google Search Bar or an app icon Voice Search and say "Set my alarm for 7am" for example.. and the thing will do it for you.. I don't use VLingo on my SII as well as it doesn't do search and it has more limited functionality. I prefer Google Search beacuse I can issue Voice Commands plus Google search is so advanced now that it will work great with Voice Commands too.. so when I say, "Show me Real Steal movie showtimes at a zip code 85345" the thing will list the movie times for that zip code.

Voice Actions / Google Search and everything is in there. It's all merged in one.

Yeah I know it can do all of that, I was just saying it's called voice search not voice actions :p

Voice search is good but it doesn't seem to have as many different ways of saying things as Siri/Voice Actions.

"Message contact saying hello"

"Tell contact hello"

"Text contact (pause) hello"

"Set an alarm for 7am on Friday"

"Wake me up at 7am on Friday"

"I want to buy a pizza in Lincoln"

"Buy me a pizza in Lincoln"

"Get me a pizza in Lincoln"

etc etc... so many different ways of doing the same thing with voice actions, and it's less command based and more you just tell it what to do.

With Vlingo I have to say "Text <contact> Message <message>" which is very command based.

It seems that every time Apple has something new there is complaints that x or y can do it too. It's absolutely true! There's nothing I can think of that Apple invented. What they happen to do is take something that is out there and improve/simplify/make pretty enough that people actually start using it. That's the difference. It's not about something being done first, it's about something being done right.

P.S. BTW, in no way, shape or form do I believe that Apple does everything right. It just seems like they push the envelope more than anyone else so when they do have a hit, it's generally a big one. There have been stinkers too.

i think the questions regarding iphone wallpapers were understood by siri as 'iphones' ...the answers don't seem to follow the context properly. with that said, some awesome responses there lol..."two men walk into a bar... i forget the rest". i have to try that sometime.

i think the questions regarding iphone wallpapers were understood by siri as 'iphones' ...the answers don't seem to follow the context properly.

Yeah, Siri didn’t quite get this one.

I’m wondering how much they will improve on the beta that they have now. Is it more like 60% complete yet, or more like 95%?

Someone should ask siri about the TRUE personal assistant:

Clippy.jpg

It seems that every time Apple has something new there is complaints that x or y can do it too. It's absolutely true! There's nothing I can think of that Apple invented. What they happen to do is take something that is out there and improve/simplify/make pretty enough that people actually start using it. That's the difference. It's not about something being done first, it's about something being done right.

P.S. BTW, in no way, shape or form do I believe that Apple does everything right. It just seems like they push the envelope more than anyone else so when they do have a hit, it's generally a big one. There have been stinkers too.

I agree with this. But when doing things right (first iphone) means steering the entire industry in the right direction, you gotta give them credit.

I still dont think siri will be widely used, no matter how good it is. And all these easter eggs are keeping siri alive in internet's collective mind for a while. Which is more than can be said about google voice commands on android (which work just as well IF you know the commands)

Someone should ask siri about the TRUE personal assistant:

Clippy.jpg

I agree with this. But when doing things right (first iphone) means steering the entire industry in the right direction, you gotta give them credit.

I still dont think siri will be widely used, no matter how good it is. And all these easter eggs are keeping siri alive in internet's collective mind for a while. Which is more than can be said about google voice commands on android (which work just as well IF you know the commands)

SIRI is only the beginning. I will bet you anything you want that once Apple gets SIRI polished enough, it will include it on the next major version of MacOSX.